Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > What's the obsession with post counts? > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 2530 | Total Posts: 56 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
(Originally posted on: 09-12-02 02:38:29 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I will never understand why people focus so much attention on post counts. To me, it's pathetic to actually give a shit about post counts, but that's just me. Granted, on this forum, you need 50 posts in order to upload avatars and upload files to the server, but aside from the first 50 posts on this forum, what is so great about having a high post count?

I'd really like to get some serious feedback on this, so if you have nothing to offer, don't reply, fags.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 1 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-12-02 02:47:15 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I think it's like a power or superiority thing. Having a higher post count is believed to make you a more superior being then people with lower post counts.
This reply was last edited on 09-20-02 01:04:21 AM by Air Bud.
mirthalac
INTL Alumni
stan "the single pringle" templeton

Prettiest Red Beard this side of the Canadian Border

Ballkicks: (+301 / -42)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 2 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-12-02 02:51:38 PM)

Quoted from Tartarus:
I think it's like a power or superiority thing. Having a higher post count is believed to make you a more superior being then people with lower post counts.

i get that feeling too. it's not as strong here as it is/was at SA, but there's still that... feeling.

but as for me, i post like mad cuz i'm a flaming idiot. or something.
Stormraider
User is currently banned until further notice.

im gay

Reply 3 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-12-02 02:53:54 PM)

Pretty much what Tartarus said. New people, the ignorant and such seem to automatically assume that a post count means you are more popular, intelligent, and important than another person with a lower count.

That means that all the pathetic morons try to spam their way to a high post count so they can exploit this.

btw: I never did mention how much I like the RS modification which doesn't count posts.
Mingan
INTL Alumni
Mmm Skyscraper I Love You

Why are we having this wedding? because Abraham Lincoln, of course!

Ballkicks: (+637 / -48)
Reply 4 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-12-02 03:09:35 PM)

it's a gathering instinct I think, people like things that add up, become more by some action they perform.

and ofcourse the false idea of status as mentioned above.

personally I couldn't care less but I do admit it was amusing to see my post count reach the first hundred. mainly because it was my first time ever I found a place on the internet where I could be interested for more then a few minutes, and actually enjoy seeing a reaction to my posts

but there must be some scientific theory for the desire to get a higher post count. maybe it's the feeling that you're personality actually has some kind of depth. 'look mama I have 400 posts, I have an OPINION' ... or something
NNY
Alcoholics Anonymous
Forum Drunkard

Staying in alone, with my cat.

Ballkicks: (+666 / -76)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 5 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-12-02 03:20:22 PM)

its like buying an expensive car, or having a big house or some ice to floss. bragging rights over trivial and superficial things, i guess.
Kitabatake
Fishing with Firecrackers

2efficient4spacebar

Ballkicks: (+450 / -46)
Reply 6 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-12-02 03:24:01 PM)

I dunno..

I've never really cared about mine.
Saladin

Ballkicks: (+13 / -14)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 7 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-12-02 03:24:40 PM)

w00t! postcount ++!!

Seriously, though, I think people imagine that the postcounts establish the pecking order in the forums, ie. I have a higher postcount than you so therefore my posts are more relevant and more amusing.
Lovely Insanity

Insane Love

Ballkicks: (+126 / -35)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 8 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-12-02 03:33:05 PM)

I know my postcount will never be as high as many of the forumers here, without RS posts counting for anything. I used to care, because everyone made such a big deal about Danielle's postcount when she first arived. It was like a competitive thing for me. Now it just doesn't matter, I'm here to have fun.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 9 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-12-02 03:49:29 PM)

Its an attention thing. And a bragging thing. I never have as high a postcount as most people. My postcount here is much lower than other people who came around the same time I did, and it is lower than some people's who came way after me. It doesnt really matter to me though. I dont think it has been as much of a problem here as it has been at other forums though.
Good OL MC

Ballkicks: (+66 / -15)
Reply 10 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-12-02 03:58:14 PM)

I think what HoA said was right on target.

Personally, I pay much more attention to karma.
asthetik
I SHOULD READ THE HALL OF REJECTS MORE OFTEN!

making jabs at each other is what the internet is for you fucking idiots. oh, and for stealing things.

Ballkicks: (+333 / -161)
Reply 11 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-12-02 05:38:18 PM)

I agree with MC, postcount pales to karma.
Alyantis
FEMALE

Ballkicks: (+89 / -25)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 12 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-12-02 05:43:38 PM)

Sandamnit, how come my posts were lowered to so low? I don't care about having a high one, but I don't even have one above 50...
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reply 13 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-12-02 05:45:28 PM)

RETARDATION STATION MODERATION CONTEST!!!
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 14 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-12-02 05:47:19 PM)

Quoted from Alyantis:
Sandamnit, how come my posts were lowered to so low? I don't care about having a high one, but I don't even have one above 50...
Actually, I don't even know why FA even reset yours. I'll go ahead and give you the floor post count value, since I really have no clue.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reply 15 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-12-02 05:48:42 PM)

Hmmm... I thought it was because he lost FA's moderation contest...
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 16 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-12-02 05:51:28 PM)

Quoted from antpocas:
No, because my winner was his loser; the winner of my contest was Socrateius, thus Socrateius should've lost his post count: a whole 3 posts.
Fisher
INTL Premium Member
jhsdfi;loiha

Fishdick

Ballkicks: (+439 / -139)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 17 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-12-02 06:01:45 PM)

That was me. I honestly don't give a damnabout my post count, I was just glad to get my upload capabilities back.
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 18 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-12-02 06:07:23 PM)

Quote:
This will be the same as Sandamnit's contest, except his winning number is my LOSING number! And vice versa! HAR HAR!

How is that so hard to understand?! Christ, people.
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Ballkicks: (+611 / -49)
Reply 19 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-12-02 06:26:07 PM)

Quoted from Sandamnit:
Quoted from antpocas:
No, because my winner was his loser; the winner of my contest was Socrateius, thus Socrateius should've lost his post count: a whole 3 posts.

Wooohah, that's partially because I lost the previous contest...and that most of the posts I make/have made are retarded.
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reply 20 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-12-02 06:30:47 PM)

Postcounts are partially the way people say "OMG IR ONT A N00B FGT!!!!11 OGM LLO!!1~"

I think some people simply use that to say "Look how much I have, I must've been here a long time, and therefore, accepted."
Alyantis
FEMALE

Reply 21 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-12-02 07:25:13 PM)

Thanks Sandy.
Alyantis
FEMALE

Reply 22 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-12-02 07:27:37 PM)

FA care to explain, because if it's the opposites of sandy, and Soccy and GlobeThrasher were the winners and losers, why the hell did I lose posts?
Tyr

I cybered with Kayte

Ballkicks: (+479 / -130)
Reply 23 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-12-02 07:38:42 PM)

On the flip side, mirthlac has like 100 posts, but I give him as much respect as I do [insert respected guy here].
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 24 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-12-02 07:38:56 PM)

Come on. You aren't this stupid, Alyantis.

Quote:
This will be the same as Sandamnit's contest, except his winning number is my LOSING number! And vice versa! HAR HAR!

READ>COMPREHEND>POST

If my contest was just his winner is my loser and vice versa, why did I have people pick numbers? Huh? Well it wasn't. If you had READ MY FUCKING THREAD AT ALL you would know that his WINNING NUMBER was my LOSING NUMBER. His winning number was 100. You were closest to 100. Therefore, since your post count was under 200, you post count gets taken down to 0. Those were the rules. Jesus Christ!
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 2530 | Total Posts: 56 ]