Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Pretension Palace: i don't like that band because you've heard of them > Lost > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: Amphytrite
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ... 27 28 29 ] [ Thread Views: 66083 | Total Posts: 700 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
(Originally posted on: 10-24-04 09:48:30 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Damn, I've been waiting for the word on the expansion of this forum just so I could make a thread about this show.

It's from JJ Abrams (Felicity, Alias), and the basic premise is that a plane crashed in the pacific and now there are 47 survivors stranded on an island.

It's really quite fascinating, and really well done. I love it.

PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT ANY SPOILERS ARE TAGGED SO I CAN AVOID THEM OR I WILL KICK YOUR ASS.

Discuss!
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 700 (Originally posted on: 10-25-04 02:57:43 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I don't really have much to say, but I like this show. I just hope that they don't end up having some really stupid explanation for all the weird stuff that happens at the island.
i've never been perfect // but i never meant to drag down you // so if i'm dragging you down now // i could wait in the lost and found // just promise me you'll be perfect // and i promise that i'll come around sometimes // to say // hello // all smiles
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 2 of 700 (Originally posted on: 10-25-04 03:17:22 PM)

I have this weird idea that they're part of reality tv show. 'Oblivious in the Outback'...something stupid like that.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 3 of 700 (Originally posted on: 10-25-04 07:01:53 PM)

I missed the beginning episodes and now I won't be able to understand anything that happens. Looks like I'll be waiting until I can "buy" some "dvds" of this.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 4 of 700 (Originally posted on: 10-25-04 07:15:17 PM)

Quoted from goatstack:
I have this weird idea that they're part of reality tv show. 'Oblivious in the Outback'...something stupid like that.
Yeah, because reality television shows purposely destroy airplanes, killing half the people on the flight and  let people drown. 

Anyway, things to ponder.

Charlie has recently run low on heroin, I believe that this will affect his upcoming relationships with the other survivors, as his addiction over comes him, I don't think he'll be able to keep his carelessly hidden secret from the others. 

Locke, a humiliated man in his previous life has now risen to the ranks of a hero on the island. I believe that he's going to start purposely trying to deter any attempts that the other's may make to contact the outside and get rescued, due to this newly found hero status. 

There are two koreans on the island, neither can effectively communicate with the others in a verbal manner. If that isn't foreshadowing, I don't know what is. I mean, I believe that they're going to either witness something horrible or witness something that could result in rescue, but be unable to relay the message before it's too late. 

The French transmission that has been repeated for the last fifteen years, as stated, needs a power supply on the island. I think it's just a matter of time before they find this power supply and utilize it to help them get rescued, or as stated above, Locke will find it and destroy it in order to seal his authority on the island as a hero, as to not have to face his previous life back home. 

Jack has recently accepted his role as a leader and spoken out about his intentions to start preparing for a rather long stay on the island. However, Sawyer doesn't really respect authority at all. I believe that the storyline will begin resembling that of Lord of the Flies. And we've even got a large fat guy who can be Piggy, but he doesn't have glasses, so nevermind. 

That's all I got.
"Sandy : fuck you. I mean, thanks for the awesome site and toleration, but I dont need to be reminded that I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed."
-goatstack
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 5 of 700 (Originally posted on: 10-25-04 08:36:19 PM)

Quoted from Sandamnit:
Quoted from goatstack:
Yeah, because reality television shows purposely destroy airplanes, killing half the people on the flight and  let people drown. 
It could still be apart of the show. Is it too far fetched to say stunt people faked drowning ? 
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 6 of 700 (Originally posted on: 10-25-04 10:04:26 PM)

Quoted from goatstack:
 Is it too far fetched to say stunt people faked drowning ? 
Incredibly.

It's a wonderful crackpot theory, but with the information presented thusfar in the series, the possibility of that is less than zero percent.

That'd be like at the end, a plane flies overhead flying the banner "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JACK! WE LOVE YOU, MOM AND DAD!" while everyone pulls off a mask, ala Mission Impossible, exposing themselves as various childhood friends of Jack.
"Sandy : fuck you. I mean, thanks for the awesome site and toleration, but I dont need to be reminded that I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed."
-goatstack
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 7 of 700 (Originally posted on: 10-26-04 04:40:02 PM)

Frankly, my explanation for this show (and also why I can't watch it anymore because I thing I got it - I could be wrong. I'll have to keep watching):  They're all dead. 
"I'm alive, I'm alone, and I don't want to be either of those."-The Chemical Brothers (Alive Alone)
Theatre on the Edge
My Musical Compositions
kayte
INTL Premium Member

Reply 8 of 700 (Originally posted on: 10-26-04 05:00:18 PM)

Yeah I've seen a lot of that speculation, HP. But I wouldn't stop watching just because you THINK you've figured it out. For example (speculation):  if they're all already dead, did the man who got sucked through the jet engine die AGAIN? What about the woman who drowned in the last episode? How could they die twice? Or did they die at all? 

I'm not going to spoiler things that have already happened on the show (ie. if the episode has already aired).

I think it's interesting the way the names of the survivors have some play. Jack Sheppard? As in...shepherd? The leader of flock? Has become the leader of the people of the island, even if it's not by any will of his own. John Locke, the calm and collected philosophical person there.

The titles of the episodes come into play as well. Episode 3 was titled "Tabula Rasa", which as you may or may not know is a Lockeian theory that a person can change through environment change, which fits with the things that have been happening on the island: Locke can walk again AND is respected by his fellow castaways, Kate is free, people look to Jack for advice and leadership etc. Everything about the show is affected by the concept of Tabula Rasa. Episode 5, "White Rabbit" features Jack chasing something through the forest, just like Alice chased...um, the white rabbit.

I kind of hope that there isn't some big reveal of what the "monster" is, or the whole thing with the French broadcast, or even what the island is really about. Maybe if things are stripped away slowly and shown, but I don't want to get to May sweeps and have them be all (FOR EXAMPLE):  oh by the way, they're all dead.  I think it would take something away from the mystery. It's interesting being able to know only as much as the survivors know.

Guys, when you spoiler stuff, could you mention if it is just speculation on your part or actually stuff you have read, for example in TV Guide, that will probably happen? As I said I'm trying desperately to avoid any and all spoilers, but I'm still interested in reading your own speculation as to what MIGHT be the case here. Thanks.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 9 of 700 (Originally posted on: 10-26-04 06:31:20 PM)

Quoted from kayte:
Guys, when you spoiler stuff, could you mention if it is just speculation on your part or actually stuff you have read, for example in TV Guide, that will probably happen?
I did. I put "Anyway, things to ponder." before all my spoiler tags that were all my own speculations.

If  they're all dead  that would be a horrible ending to the first season. Also, I'm pretty sure they're going to try and renew the show for another season, in which case, making some revelation like that at the end of the season would completely ruin any chance of a second season.
-goatstack
kayte
INTL Premium Member

Reply 10 of 700 (Originally posted on: 10-26-04 07:19:56 PM)

Yeah, I know. I read them big grin Thanks.

And I agree that that would be a less than stellar way to end the season.
Unmotivated

My G-d is offended by the letter o.

Ballkicks: (+61 / -14)
Reg. Date: Oct 2003
Reply 11 of 700 (Originally posted on: 10-26-04 10:09:01 PM)

I'm a huge fan of the show. One theory I read was  The monster(s) is really part of their imagination, caused by them thinking of it. I think there was a polar bear in the comic the little kid was reading, right before the bear attacked on the other side of the island. So the kid thought of the bear, creating it This sort of plotline was down in the movie/book Sphere, and in a Star Trek episode 
I love how each episode focuses on one person, more or less. Since there are 47 people, there's lots of material for future seasons. It could take 2 or 3 seasons before we even get to know all the characters.
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 12 of 700 (Originally posted on: 10-27-04 07:06:22 AM)

Quoted from Sandamnit:
 There are two koreans on the island, neither can effectively communicate with the others in a verbal manner. If that isn't foreshadowing, I don't know what is. I mean, I believe that they're going to either witness something horrible or witness something that could result in rescue, but be unable to relay the message before it's too late. 

According to last week's teaser,  the fact that the Korean couple do not speak English will come into play tonight during the attack on Michael (Walt's father). 

Quoted from Unmotivated:
One theory I read was  The monster(s) is really part of their imagination, caused by them thinking of it.  

I really hope that this isn't the case. It would be far more interesting and less cliche  if the experienced events of these people were occurred because of the bizarre nature of the island and not because of some deep-rooted, collective psychological fear or desire. 
God of Rock, thank you for this chance to kick ass. We are your humble servants. Please give us the power to blow people's minds with our high voltage rock. In your name we pray, Amen.
kayte
INTL Premium Member

Reply 13 of 700 (Originally posted on: 10-27-04 12:13:28 PM)

Am I the only one who thinks that at least Sun (the Korean woman)  can indeed speak English, just chooses not to? She always seems to know what everyone is saying. The scene with Walt where she is messing around with the Aloe plant for example, he asks her "what is that" and she immediately shows him what it is and tells him the Korean word for it. I think that possibly she knows how to speak English, and Jin doesn't, so he doesn't allow her to.  And Sayid agrees with me at least with the Sun part of the speculation.

If the monster were  perpetuated through their thoughts or imaginations, that would be so Twilight Zone.  Wasn't there an episode where some kid could control things with his mind, and all the adults feared him? Something like that.  I don't know what was up with the comic book though, it is weird that there was a polar bear in the book and then one on the island. I think that the monster or monsters maybe change depending on who sees it, because Locke apparently looked into it's eyes and saw "something beautiful" for whatever that's worth. 
Unmotivated

Reply 14 of 700 (Originally posted on: 10-27-04 03:51:13 PM)

Whatever the answer is, it makes for compelling tv. Something I read in an article said  that although the monster will come into play, it's not going to be a central point of the show, making it mostly character driven, rather than plot driven 
kayte
INTL Premium Member

Reply 15 of 700 (Originally posted on: 10-27-04 07:41:06 PM)

Tonights episode was awesome.  I so called Sun being able to speak English.  My favourite character changes every week.
Zippo
pooooooop

Reply 16 of 700 (Originally posted on: 10-28-04 06:57:55 AM)

Verbally copulating 

Kate: It was full of bees.
Charlie: I thought C's actually. 

Captain Falafel 

There were more comedic one liners than usual last night.
God of Rock, thank you for this chance to kick ass. We are your humble servants. Please give us the power to blow people's minds with our high voltage rock. In your name we pray, Amen.
Unmotivated

Reply 17 of 700 (Originally posted on: 10-28-04 01:24:15 PM)

So I have a bit of a question/  Locke believes that if you give to the isleand, the island will give you want you really want, ie. mobility in his foot, closure for Jack in regards to his father, Charlie's guitar...well what about the pilot who was eviserated? I gotta say, I doubt that was his fondest wish 
Zippo
pooooooop

Reply 18 of 700 (Originally posted on: 10-29-04 06:54:07 AM)

As far as we know,  the pilot didn't make some sort of life change or was battling a psychological problem .
Squareknight
I will never be independant

XX_mira_fan_Xx

Ballkicks: (+181 / -100)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 19 of 700 (Originally posted on: 10-31-04 12:09:24 AM)

It's interesting how the monster/something has not interfered at all in the past 2 or 3 episodes. Taking a break?

Also, I really wonder how much of the island they've explored, and if they'll ever see the other side of the island at all.
Zippo
pooooooop

Reply 20 of 700 (Originally posted on: 11-11-04 06:54:44 AM)

Last night was the best episode of Lost thus far. I'm kind of pissed that  Sayid ends up separating from the group , but according to next week's promos  it seems like Sayid will get his reveal episode and run into the French chick from the radio transmission .
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 21 of 700 (Originally posted on: 11-11-04 12:37:15 PM)

Last night's episode was awesome.  "part of my job was to make the enemy communicate."  That was the best quote of the entire series to date.
"Legolas grasped onto his bodkin arrow and stroked it steadily. It was but a few moments later that Legolas would let forth a mighty war cry and shoot millions of tiny arrows into Luthien's mouth. Being the expert archer that Legolas was, not a single one of his tiny arrows missed its target."
Zippo
pooooooop

Reply 22 of 700 (Originally posted on: 11-11-04 03:32:03 PM)

Agreed. Sayid is so fucking cool. He's probably my favorite character.
kayte
INTL Premium Member

Reply 23 of 700 (Originally posted on: 11-17-04 07:39:29 PM)

I am so annoyed. When the cleaner came to do my carpets he moved my antennae, and try as I may I couldn't get it back to even a half-decently clear picture, so half the time tonight I had not a clue what was actually happening on screen, I just had the sound.

Giant WTF to the entire episode. Guess I'll wait for it to come on the internet. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
Unmotivated

Reply 24 of 700 (Originally posted on: 11-17-04 11:23:19 PM)

I have it on tape, but I guess it would be a tad difficult to get it to you. It'd probably be faster for you to download it than have me send it to you...
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ... 27 28 29 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 66083 | Total Posts: 700 ]