Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > The official presidential debate thread > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] [ Thread Views: 13156 | Total Posts: 182 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Skizzles
INTL Premium Member
Okay, Okay! I take it back. Unfuck you!

I <3 you too.

Ballkicks: (+145 / -59)
Reg. Date: Mar 2004
(Originally posted on: 09-30-04 02:14:13 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

It's that time of year again. Kerry lagging in the polls and the democratic party seeming demoralized in general, but with a recent poll that said 1/5 of likely voters say that this debate will affect their vote, it could be possible for a come back...Quite intense. We have Mr. Kerry who has a history of being the president of his debate club, so he does have the potential to bust a verbal cap on Bush if he tries. Predictions anyone?
Iím the new king, Iíll take the queen...
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 1 of 182 (Originally posted on: 09-30-04 02:27:21 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I was just about to make a thread about this so sorry for the possible hijack.

The first presidential debate is being held at the Convocation Center of my school - the University of Miami. Over the past week our campus has been pretty mobbed with the media and influential leaders. We have an original copy of the Declaration of Independence on display in our university center lounge, and this past Tuesday, we had "A Conversation with Ralph Nader," a limited-seating event that I had the opportunity to attend (the back of my head was on TV - omg celebrity).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/zippo279/Bush%20Kerry%20Presidential%20Debate/banner.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/zippo279/Bush%20Kerry%20Presidential%20Debate/studentunion.jpg

We've had a variety of local media on campus.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/zippo279/Bush%20Kerry%20Presidential%20Debate/localmedia.jpg

MSNBC has set up a stage on an area of our student union called "the Rock." They have been recording live shows of Hardball with Chris Matthews.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/zippo279/Bush%20Kerry%20Presidential%20Debate/msnbc.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/zippo279/Bush%20Kerry%20Presidential%20Debate/msnbc2.jpg

CNN has also set up a stage area on the other side of the student union, overlooking Lake Osceola. They've been airing live shows of CNN Live and CrossFire.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/zippo279/Bush%20Kerry%20Presidential%20Debate/cnn.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/zippo279/Bush%20Kerry%20Presidential%20Debate/cnn2.jpg

C-SPAN is offering tours of their "C-SPAN School Bus." They have conducted interviews with high-profile political leaders, such as Pres. Bill Clinton, in it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/zippo279/Bush%20Kerry%20Presidential%20Debate/cspan1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/zippo279/Bush%20Kerry%20Presidential%20Debate/cspan2.jpg

Students and adults alike have set up tables to rally for either party.

I took a bunch of pictures of Kerry supporters, but here are two:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/zippo279/Bush%20Kerry%20Presidential%20Debate/kerry.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/zippo279/Bush%20Kerry%20Presidential%20Debate/kileen.jpg

The Bush supporters were harder to find -- our campus is pretty liberal:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/zippo279/Bush%20Kerry%20Presidential%20Debate/bush.jpg

I tried going to our Wellness Center, which they have turned into media central, but it was closed off. I would have also liked to go to the Convocation Center itself, but it's practically impenetrable because of the tight security.
God of Rock, thank you for this chance to kick ass. We are your humble servants. Please give us the power to blow people's minds with our high voltage rock. In your name we pray, Amen.
Kapn Xaos
OMG! OMG! LOOK its a Xaos group
Posting is now a bannable offence!

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+97 / -144)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 2 of 182 (Originally posted on: 09-30-04 02:27:40 PM)

Bush by recount and supreme court placement.
Confuse and the world is full of wonder. Wonder and the world is confusing.
Ein

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+74 / -42)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 3 of 182 (Originally posted on: 09-30-04 02:56:58 PM)

Liberals are funny, then again, so are conservatives. I like Kerry's stances on some things but like Bush as a candidate better. Kerry is too much of a politician for me. Makes me wonder whether we need a politician who we can connect to or the rest of the world can connect to.

Best poster ever...
(slightly MSPaint'd for readability)

I don't drink coffee.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 4 of 182 (Originally posted on: 09-30-04 03:08:06 PM)

Quoted from Kapn Xaos:
Bush by recount and supreme court placement.

I don't think it's going to be that close this time around.

Edit: Yeah, I'm definitely watching this tonight. I don't think Kerry's going to be any cap busting, and more than likely he'll say something that will make him slip even more.
[whisper][/whisper]
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 5 of 182 (Originally posted on: 09-30-04 03:47:12 PM)

I have seen Kerry debate before, when he was running for senate a few years ago, and he was very good. He is fast on his feet, and can make some very witty comments on the fly.

He seems to take on an entirely different personality then his dry campaign style, after going into the 'combat zone' of the debate format.
abused
i done told you once bitch

Looks and acts like a douche-bag

Ballkicks: (+820 / -208)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 6 of 182 (Originally posted on: 09-30-04 04:05:52 PM)

Ok, what time is this at?
I'm assuming CNN is convering it and I am very interested in watching it.

I've been following American politics a lot the past year, which is funny since I don't give half a rat's ass about Canadian politics.
 Subliminal message: Nova for Admin!!! 
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 7 of 182 (Originally posted on: 09-30-04 04:24:42 PM)

Probably because American politics have the element of danger LOL IM SUCH A FAG!!

I'm mostly interested in the Daily Show coverage that's going to follow the debate, but I really hope Kerry puts in a good showing here. He has the raw goods to do it, he just has to ACT, and inspire people to vote for him.

Quoted from Ein:

Makes me wonder whether we need a politician who we can connect to or the rest of the world can connect to.

What makes you feel "connected" to Bush?
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 8 of 182 (Originally posted on: 09-30-04 04:25:38 PM)

It starts 9pm EST.

The "debate" will suck. It will essentially be a joint press conference. Each campaign signed a thirty-something page legal document that details how everything will be conducted. Don't expect any spontaneity whatsoever.
God of Rock, thank you for this chance to kick ass. We are your humble servants. Please give us the power to blow people's minds with our high voltage rock. In your name we pray, Amen.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 9 of 182 (Originally posted on: 09-30-04 04:57:12 PM)

Quote:
I'm mostly interested in the Daily Show coverage that's going to follow the debate

Do you know if that's going to be live at 9EST tonight, or is it just coverage of tonight at 11EST tomorrow?
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper]"Plan B. Still breathing? Now we gotta make the best of it, improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, shit happens, I Ching, whatever man, we gotta roll with it."
- Vincent
Links: 0 A.D., Heaven Games, Something Awful.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 10 of 182 (Originally posted on: 09-30-04 04:58:30 PM)

Quoted from Zippo:
It starts 9pm EST.

The "debate" will suck. It will essentially be a joint press conference. Each campaign signed a thirty-something page legal document that details how everything will be conducted. Don't expect any spontaneity whatsoever.

Exactly. This 'debate' is a joke. It doesn't even remotely resemble a true debate. The commitee that regulates these debates imposes tons of rules that take away any spontaneity at all.

A debate that might be a little more interesting: http://www.lp.org/press/archive.php?function=view&record=675

The Libertarian and Green party candidates will have a debate at the same time as Bush and Kerry, right across the street. After both this debate and the Kerry/Bush debate finish, these two smaller candidates will offer rebuttals of the points made in the Kerry/Bush debate. They will also take questions from people in the audience.
sophisticated fuck princess please LEAVE ME alone
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 11 of 182 (Originally posted on: 09-30-04 05:19:45 PM)

Quoted from emtilt:
A debate that might be a little more interesting: http://www.lp.org/press/archive.php?function=view&record=675

The Libertarian and Green party candidates will have a debate at the same time as Bush and Kerry, right across the street. After both this debate and the Kerry/Bush debate finish, these two smaller candidates will offer rebuttals of the points made in the Kerry/Bush debate. They will also take questions from people in the audience.

I would like to see that. I'd love to hear what smaller parties have planned, because they could bring something different to the table.
As for the presidential debate, I doubt I'll watch. Very little I don't already know is going to be touched upon tonight and at this point I'm at my wit's end with politics in general.
I predict that the debate isn't really going to change much unless one can seriously trump the other, which I highly doubt.
Asthetik's musictalk bitch, serving the world of progressive house 24/7.

<HPenguin> Canadian Mafia are called the Peace Corps

It's true, in New Jersey only the strong lunged survive -Dimi

Proud recipient of the Crown of Coronets of the Southern Hemisphere.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 12 of 182 (Originally posted on: 09-30-04 05:50:01 PM)

From what I've seen so far I'm thinking Bush will take the debate. The thing is Kerry does have the potential to out-speak Bush but he just hasn't yet. This debate will play a big role in determining who I'm going to vote for and I know you'll all hate me for it, but so far Bush is winning my vote by a much wider margine than in the poles. If I'm going to vote at all I want a firm grasp on what each candidate stands for and Kerry is currently the least impressive in my eyes.

I'm not a big fan of either candidate but Kerry has thus far come off as very indecisive and irresponsible pick for president from my perspective. I intend to take a few notes and record the debate for the enevitable discussion in Fridays US Government class.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 13 of 182 (Originally posted on: 09-30-04 06:16:36 PM)

Here's a couple links I found to be interesting regarding the topic of presidential debates in general:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4052162
http://www.opendebates.org/

I fail to see how anyone can seem to be a more irresponsible pick for president than Bush.
sophisticated fuck princess please LEAVE ME alone
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 14 of 182 (Originally posted on: 09-30-04 08:45:30 PM)

Quoted from British Agent:
Quote:
I'm mostly interested in the Daily Show coverage that's going to follow the debate

Do you know if that's going to be live at 9EST tonight, or is it just coverage of tonight at 11EST tomorrow?

No, sorry I don't know. The Daily Show on the only channel I get is at midnight no matter what special times it may be aired elsewhere.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Reply 15 of 182 (Originally posted on: 09-30-04 08:46:52 PM)

Quoted from British Agent:
Quote:

It's going to be live.

I really wish they'd get Mo Rocca back. Now I'll have to switch between them and CNN MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
[whisper][/whisper]
Skizzles
INTL Premium Member
Okay, Okay! I take it back. Unfuck you!

I <3 you too.

Ballkicks: (+145 / -59)
Reg. Date: Mar 2004
Reply 16 of 182 (Originally posted on: 09-30-04 09:00:34 PM)

Wow, Bush is getting absolutely raped. I must say, Kerry is quite a good speaker compared to Bush...
Iím the new king, Iíll take the queen...
abused
i done told you once bitch

Looks and acts like a douche-bag

Ballkicks: (+820 / -208)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 17 of 182 (Originally posted on: 09-30-04 09:25:13 PM)

That was a really good debate. Less tame than I thought it would be. Reminds me of why American Politics > Canadian Politics by at least 100x.

I'd give the nod to Kerry.
 Subliminal message: Nova for Admin!!! 
EscalatorToHell

elusive and illustrious

Ballkicks: (+177 / -80)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 18 of 182 (Originally posted on: 09-30-04 09:25:28 PM)

Yes, he is a better speaker. And debater. Maybe Bush should get some sort of handicap score as he has the disadvantage of being an embarassing president.
You're skin and bones; I'm a nervous wreck.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Reply 19 of 182 (Originally posted on: 09-30-04 09:26:20 PM)

Kerry didn't exactly do himself any favors, either.
[whisper][/whisper]
asthetik
I SHOULD READ THE HALL OF REJECTS MORE OFTEN!

making jabs at each other is what the internet is for you fucking idiots. oh, and for stealing things.

Ballkicks: (+333 / -161)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 20 of 182 (Originally posted on: 09-30-04 09:32:42 PM)

Bush did a good job of appealing to his target demographic. His 'best defense is a good offense' foreign policy will be appealing to Nascar dads, people from south of the mason dixon line, and people who bought the "Have you Forgotten" single. On an issues standpoint Kerry Bush bent over his raised podium, but I don't think that will even be a point. Bush was more personally appealling with his cheeky attempts at wit and his 'America first' message, but I still think in terms of the debate Kerry was a clear winner.
You pick up this working girl who's hooked on smack, who hustles and scores, that's all I do she says, she says 10 bucks for head, 15 for half and half, she says, 3 hits a day at 35 per. You say thats 7 tricks a day at least but she says, sometimes I get lucky, once this guy gives me a bill and a half just to eat me, only time I ever came. You figure you can save her, you sell your color TV that keeps her off the streets a whole day, you hawk your typewrighter for one jolt, then your shotgun, your watch, a week later you say listen I'm a little short, but she says no scratch, no snatch. You say look, it is better to give, but she says, be gone - creep. One night they spot you on the street in your skivvies, tryin to sell your shoes. You tell them who you are but they nail you, then she happens by and she says, Christ you look fucked, she says, hang tough. But you don't say anything.

You just think what a bum wrap for a nice sensitive guy like me.
Yogi
INTL Premium Member
The Hero of Canton

check out my color filters

Ballkicks: (+129 / -58)
Reg. Date: Mar 2003
Reply 21 of 182 (Originally posted on: 09-30-04 09:34:15 PM)

Good debate, and it reaffirmed my support for Kerry.

I found it astounding when on the issue of pre-emptive strike bush said that he hopes for never having to make such a decision but "the enemy attacked us". Although I was pleased to see Kerry call him out on it, I think Kerry should have pressed him much more on it in the rebuttle.

But the Bush response was priceless:
"Of course I know Osama Bin Laden attacked us...

*glares at Kerry*

..I know that."

And he said it as if wondering whether Kerry was truly questioning whether he knew who Bin Laden was.

My gut also turned when Bush said something like "of course I think that every american soldiers life is precious, that's what seperates us from the enemy"
There seems to just be no one left to bully, Bush is pussy/
Why the fuck you think his name's Bush? Puss is bushy

Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 22 of 182 (Originally posted on: 09-30-04 09:37:34 PM)

I have to agree that Kerry won the debate, and he seemed to control it from the start. There were too many moments where Bush just stared into the camera, blinking and looking uncomfortable, like his brain was stalling. The muttering responses didn't help either.

Kerry seemed to loosen up right away, and he clarified his stance on Iraq very smoothly. He didn't come off as stiff to me, or over-complicate his answers.

Bush appealled to his demographic with this speech, but I don't think those people would change their mind no matter what was said in the debate. Kerry appealled to the independants who had left him after he was pasted as a 'waffler', causing his sag in the polls. He came off as strong willed and determined.

The immediate polls that are coming out already on the major networks seem to be pointing toward Kerry, as well.
This reply was last edited on 09-30-04 10:00:26 PM by Dante.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 23 of 182 (Originally posted on: 09-30-04 09:47:47 PM)

I was very surprised by how well Kerry performed. I admit that I didn't have high hopes, but he was consistently prepared for the questions and his statement at the end was excellent. It was a shame he had to speak first.
my mouth is open, so you can stuff the bright red roses in
Wanderlust
Background Forummers

"lad's new rut"

Ballkicks: (+116 / -37)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
Reply 24 of 182 (Originally posted on: 09-30-04 10:04:43 PM)

Kerry was the clear winner. Bush fell apart by halfway through, and wasn't able to gain the initiative when Lehrer handed him the "attack Kerry's character" question. I actually felt sorry for Bush partway through, and Kerry pressed his advantage and kept the initiative -- a little too smugly, but did so nonetheless.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 13156 | Total Posts: 182 ]