Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Pretension Palace: i don't like that band because you've heard of them > Garden State > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: Amphytrite
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 4808 | Total Posts: 51 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Lyle

My penis is huge

Ballkicks: (+243 / -48)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
(Originally posted on: 09-05-04 11:58:16 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I don't know how many of you have seen this movie, but it is definitely worthy of a thread of it's own. I just saw it this evening, and had to drive 45 minutes to get to the theatre, but it was completely worth it.

It's hard to describe the movie without sounding like a pussy, but only five movies so far, out of the hundreds I've seen, have made me tear up and this one makes six.

To be honest, I had about five paragraphs typed out about how amazing this movie is. But I realized that the only thing there is to say is that the scenes, the acting, the soundtrack, the emotions, the camera work, the whole feeling of the movie, it's all completely perfect. Zach Braff is a genius, and I think I can honestly say that this movie has changed the way I think about certain things in my life. As soon as it comes to a theatre closer to home, I'm going to go see it again, and when it comes to DVD, I'll be the first person in line to buy it.

I will say this one last bit, because usually the ending of a movie will either make it or break it for me. I love how Andrew made a whole big speech about the ellipses and how they were stupid, but the ending, you could say, was with an ellipsis. I thought it was a clever way to finish the movie. Open, but still resolved. 
This reply was last edited on 09-06-04 12:35:23 PM by Lyle.
Angus

D'oh!

Ballkicks: (+621 / -84)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 1 of 51 (Originally posted on: 09-06-04 01:09:14 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Sounds like a good movie to do the "penis in the popcorn" trick. O and I don't know what you mean by elipses.

I doubt I would cry, because I barely cry at anything, and I think I am a freak when it comes to crying at movies or tv. The reason why is because the only thing I have ever cried to is the Pinky and the Brain Christmas Special. Seriously.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 2 of 51 (Originally posted on: 09-06-04 01:13:27 AM)

I've been wanting to see this movie for a while now. It's not coming to anywhere around here though, and I know that most of my Army friends wouldn't want to see it anyway, so it's unlikely I'll get a chance to see it in theaters. I'll just have to wait for a bootleg to surface.

The soundtrack is fucking awesome though.
No.
Marcher
Background Forummers

I'm jealous of Jesus.

Ballkicks: (+344 / -47)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 3 of 51 (Originally posted on: 09-06-04 01:46:35 AM)

I want to see it, but it's not playing at the right theaters in my city. I'll rent it someday.
Wanderlust
Background Forummers

"lad's new rut"

Ballkicks: (+116 / -37)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
Reply 4 of 51 (Originally posted on: 09-06-04 02:05:46 AM)

I saw it maybe a week ago. It's one of the best movies so far this year. The wit and the characters are brilliant, and while the plot and the romantic subplot are only okay, they work.

It was a little high on the heavy-handed existentialism, though. They didn't even get the good existentialism.

But it was brilliantly put together, very funny (visual humor is not dead), and held my attention thoroughly.

4.5 out of 5 stars.
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reply 5 of 51 (Originally posted on: 09-06-04 12:18:02 PM)

I saw Garden State during the weekend of its limited release, and I was really impressed with Zach Braff's debut film. The characters, thankfully not one-dimensional, and dialogue were well written and portrayed; Natalie Portman sparkled on the screen, flaunting her comedic talent, while Braff was skillfully able to shed his television persona. One of the coolest things for me was the juxtaposition of intense emotional scenes with absolutely hilarious ones, which never suckered you into a tearjerker moment, just an appreciative sadness.

I have two main critiques:
 The hotel/voyeur scene seemed strangely out of place. Although it was hilarious ( "Who just saw some titties?" ), I felt that it detracted a bit from the natural flow of the movie by adding a raunch factor. 

I understand that Zach Braff wanted to satisfy the audience by having Andrew get off the plane and return to Sam, but that ending was too cliche and overemphasized the romantic subplot. It would have been more effective if Andrew had stayed on the plane and ventured back to L.A. to further his awakening. 

I don't think that watching Garden State will change your life, but it will definitely make you reevaluate it.
Quoted from Sandamnit:
The soundtrack is fucking awesome though.

It added another layer to the film, and the songs coincided perfectly with the plot.  There was shameless promotion for the Shins -- not that they don't deserve it, but it felt odd to me.  I immediately got the soundtrack after viewing the movie.
God of Rock, thank you for this chance to kick ass. We are your humble servants. Please give us the power to blow people's minds with our high voltage rock. In your name we pray, Amen.
Lyle

My penis is huge

Reply 6 of 51 (Originally posted on: 09-06-04 12:37:38 PM)

Quoted from Angus:
O and I don't know what you mean by elipses.

Do you mean you don't know what an ellipsis is, or you don't know how it pertains to the end of the movie?
Vervet
Anti-wiki

Ballkicks: (+875 / -84)
Reply 7 of 51 (Originally posted on: 09-06-04 12:40:08 PM)

My roommate saw it and said she loved it. I'm trusting her taste only because she has a Van Gogh poster.

I still have to see it, however.
we didn't start the fire
Angus

D'oh!

Ballkicks: (+621 / -84)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 8 of 51 (Originally posted on: 09-06-04 07:45:15 PM)

Quoted from Lyle:
Quoted from Angus:
O and I don't know what you mean by elipses.

Do you mean you don't know what an ellipsis is, or you don't know how it pertains to the end of the movie?

I just learned what an ellipsis was yesterday. Now I am wiser and feel retarded for not knowing that before.
johnhawks

ill pay someone a dollar to punch me in the face !!

Ballkicks: (+27 / -44)
Reg. Date: Sep 2004
Reply 9 of 51 (Originally posted on: 09-07-04 02:53:52 PM)

I saw this film a few days ago, and it's become one of my favorite movies of all time. I mean, Citizen Kane, Resivior Dogs, Adaptation, Garden State, American Beauty, Eternal Sunshine. It's all good stuff. No shit, I cried through the entirety of the credits, and I don't mean a little misty-eyed. I mean, sobbing into my gf's arm. I'm such a fuckin' pussy.
Pussys unite!
*sigh* Nevermind...
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 10 of 51 (Originally posted on: 09-07-04 04:18:45 PM)

I remember thinking that the trailer looked really good when I saw it, but I haven't seen the movie playing anywhere around here yet.

I will probably end up renting it.
An exotic and easily frightened animal, the wild marcher tends to graze briefly at the edges of a tread, all the while keeping close watch for larger predators such as the spotted brad, or the especially dangerous striped flaming arrow. At the first sight of a possible threat, the wild marcher will gallop at full speed toward the safe shelter of the world wide savanna.
Extrapolation

I move the stars for no one!

Ballkicks: (+84 / -20)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 11 of 51 (Originally posted on: 09-14-04 05:56:55 PM)

My friends and I usually leave the theater talking and laughing, but after this film, we were all silent. Unable to speak, for the whole ride home. Very few movies have that effect on us, especially me.

Everything about the characters reflected so perfectly on what it's like to live in L.A., to go home, to put up with whacked-out people, on and on. It rang true for all of us.

But, sorry, I couldn't ignore this:

Quoted from johnhawks:
Citizen Kane
You "appreciate" this movie because it's #1 on AFI's top 100 list. That's what every self-declared "film buff" does; hell, it's what I did when I was a freshman in film school. But show me anyone who genuinely watches C.K. actually going "Hell yeah! This movie kicks so much ass!" and I will eat my computer.
Quote:
Resivior Dogs
You're only a real Tarantino fan if you like Jackie Brown, because all the shallow Tarantino pseudo-fans can't figure out why it's good. Pulp could have earned you some points too, as long as you didn't use the phrase "nonlinear narrative" to tell me why it's good.
Quote:
Adaptation
Congratulations, Commander Ebert; you know who Kaufman is.
Quote:
American Beauty
Great. Another quasi-artsy film for people who look for the metanarrative symbolism in every pebble on the sidewalk. Or you could see Thora Birch actually act, and rent Ghost World.
Quote:
Eternal Sunshine
I have nothing against Gondry so I won't knock his film here. In fact, it was one of the most innovative films of the year. What can I say?

Now, it's not that I think there's anything wrong with any of these films; in fact, they're all superb works of cinema in their own ways. It's just that your taste reminds me of every frigging pretentious freshman who'd come to our film society meetings back at university. Claiming Citizen Kane as a favorite film has become so hilariously cliche and over-used that most film majors actually make fun of it now.

It looks like you combined what's universally accepted as safe choices, and added a few good films you watched recently. Where's the Bergman on your list? The Kurosawa? Fellini, Chaplin, Lynch, Coppola, Fincher, Hitchcock, Dreyer, Argento, Crowe, Kubrick, and Lang, to name a few, are all consipicuously absent. I realize there are just your favorite films, but there are so many thousands of truly great films out there.

I know I'm antagonistic about this, but I put up with way too much of it back in college, and now I'm jaded. Ah well.
PopRocks

I can buck my hips and suck neck while pinned under 250 lbs of man; I had him do me doggy style so we could both watch "When Harry Met Sally"

Ballkicks: (+233 / -15)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
Reply 12 of 51 (Originally posted on: 09-14-04 07:08:02 PM)

dude, extrapolation, calm down, i know film students can be annoing, but this kid didn't even give that as an official list of favotire movies, just said it was all good stuff.

anyway, the matter at hand, i thought garden state rocked. the humor was so suble, and i like quirky episodic movies like that. it was a little disjointed, but i think that made it more real. the ending was a little cheesy, but an audience needs closure, i'm ok with it. it wasn't phenominal, but definately enjoyable. and it has a very high re-watchability factor, so i'll probably buy it when it comes out.

also, as far as the reference to the shins, i didn't think it felt very out of place, i've got friends who talk like that all the time, music is a great conversation starter.

the conversational dialogue really was great, the monologues were a little out of place, but the interaction between the characters was really impressive.

certainly worthy of being added to the list of good movies taking place in new jersey.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 13 of 51 (Originally posted on: 09-14-04 07:12:18 PM)

Quoted from Extrapolation:
stuff
So you wanna be a moderator?

Also, you forgot Miike, but I'm willing to forgive you.
No.
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 14 of 51 (Originally posted on: 09-14-04 07:35:17 PM)

You absolutely nailed this one, Extrapolation.

johnhawks, why just stop with Citizen Kane? Why don't you just go on and pretend to admit your love for Casablanca, and how you admire the incredible production of Gone With the Wind?
Come on.

Oh and just to help you out, the complete list of Charlie Kaufman's screenplays is:
Being John Malkovich (1999)
Human Nature (2002)
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (2002)
Adaptation (2002)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

...so now you won't have to go to the trouble of naming them all and putting them on your list.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 15 of 51 (Originally posted on: 09-14-04 07:54:46 PM)

Most of those movies look like things I see previews, say I want to see, and then never get around to seeing. Garden State will probably be an exception, though I'd like to see Reservoir Dogs as well.
Governor Pataki on Kerry-
"This is a candidate who has to Google his own name to see where he stands."
Extrapolation

I move the stars for no one!

Ballkicks: (+84 / -20)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 16 of 51 (Originally posted on: 09-14-04 08:03:41 PM)

Quoted from Sandamnit:
Damn, you're right. I watched Ichi on a laptop behind the bleachers during my school's mandatory seminars. And I still haven't seen Gozu, which means I'm slacking off in the Asian cinema dept., which, since I live in the heart of L.A., is pretty inexcusable.

Quoted from Dante:
johnhawks, why just stop with Citizen Kane? Why don't you just go on and pretend to admit your love for Casablanca, and how you admire the incredible production of Gone With the Wind?
I tried to give you +k for understanding why this is funny, except apparently now I need more posts.
jimmy
Selber Schuld, kein Mitleid

I am really bad at giving custom titles and, well, the internet in general tbqh

Ballkicks: (+506 / -233)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 17 of 51 (Originally posted on: 09-14-04 08:49:54 PM)

i never will understand why citizen kane is widely hailed as the best movie ever. maybe i just don't "get" art movies. my all-time favorites are probably eternal sunshine, o brother where art thou?, donnie darko, fight club and castaway. not because they were funny or daring or looked great, but because they actually made me feel something. true art to me conveys an emotion to the beholder, and 99.9% of the movie community fails at that.
Tyr

I cybered with Kayte

Ballkicks: (+479 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 18 of 51 (Originally posted on: 09-15-04 07:36:47 PM)

I thought Garden State was excellent, but it definitely felt like a directorial debut. I'm not sure exactly why (amateur film fan), but when I left the theater I felt like "yeah, that was the guy's first movie."

That aside, the characterization was great. The humor will undoubtedly be a quiant vernacular in 100 years, however. I give it an 8.5/10.
Amiodarone
INTL Premium Member

pronounces name 'ileu'

Ballkicks: (+126 / -46)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 19 of 51 (Originally posted on: 09-15-04 08:12:46 PM)

I saw this movie when it was in it's limited released period, so unfortunately I don't remember much of it. The movie over just seemed like it would relate with a lot of diffrent people, in a lot of diffrent ways. It never really seemed to get into specifics about the characters, which I believe adds to the appeal. The humor was also a good addition. I'd say that I left this move with a slightly skewed vision of life than what I came into it with, but it wasn't really life changing.
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 20 of 51 (Originally posted on: 09-16-04 01:52:45 PM)

My friends and I usually leave the theater talking and laughing, but after this film, we were all silent. Unable to speak, for the whole ride home. Very few movies have that effect on us, especially me.

Everything about the characters reflected so perfectly on what it's like to live in L.A., to go home, to put up with whacked-out people, on and on. It rang true for all of us.

But, sorry, I couldn't ignore this:

Quoted from johnhawks:
Citizen Kane
You "appreciate" this movie because it's #1 on AFI's top 100 list. That's what every self-declared "film buff" does; hell, it's what I did when I was a freshman in film school. But show me anyone who genuinely watches C.K. actually going "Hell yeah! This movie kicks so much ass!" and I will eat my computer.
Quote:
Resivior Dogs
You're only a real Tarantino fan if you like Jackie Brown, because all the shallow Tarantino pseudo-fans can't figure out why it's good. Pulp could have earned you some points too, as long as you didn't use the phrase "nonlinear narrative" to tell me why it's good.
Quote:
Adaptation
Congratulations, Commander Ebert; you know who Kaufman is.
Quote:
American Beauty
Great. Another quasi-artsy film for people who look for the metanarrative symbolism in every pebble on the sidewalk. Or you could see Thora Birch actually act, and rent Ghost World.
Quote:
Eternal Sunshine
I have nothing against Gondry so I won't knock his film here. In fact, it was one of the most innovative films of the year. What can I say?

Now, it's not that I think there's anything wrong with any of these films; in fact, they're all superb works of cinema in their own ways. It's just that your taste reminds me of every frigging pretentious freshman who'd come to our film society meetings back at university. Claiming Citizen Kane as a favorite film has become so hilariously cliche and over-used that most film majors actually make fun of it now.

It looks like you combined what's universally accepted as safe choices, and added a few good films you watched recently. Where's the Bergman on your list? The Kurosawa? Fellini, Chaplin, Lynch, Coppola, Fincher, Hitchcock, Dreyer, Argento, Crowe, Kubrick, and Lang, to name a few, are all consipicuously absent. I realize there are just your favorite films, but there are so many thousands of truly great films out there.

I know I'm antagonistic about this, but I put up with way too much of it back in college, and now I'm jaded. Ah well.

My god are film students ever pretentious and annoying.
johnhawks

Reply 21 of 51 (Originally posted on: 09-16-04 03:12:41 PM)

Quoted from Sandamnit:
Damn, you're right. I watched Ichi on a laptop behind the bleachers during my school's mandatory seminars. And I still haven't seen Gozu, which means I'm slacking off in the Asian cinema dept., which, since I live in the heart of L.A., is pretty inexcusable.

You also forgot Jeunet, Polanski, Aronofsky, and Iñárritu as well, but that don't make a difference. All I fuckin' said was that those movies were "all good stuff". Not, "These movies are my irrefutible, uncomprimising PERFECT FILM LIST." which is what you obviously took it as. I listed WIDELY acclaimed movies, like you said, CK tops the AFI's 100 List. American Beauty won Best Picture, etc etc etc. My PERSONAL favorite movies is a very different list.
Why does everyone on his site have to assume the most idiotic things? Calm the fuck down, Mr. Film School.
*sigh* Nevermind...
Polkadot

Ballkicks: (+1 / -1)
Reply 22 of 51 (Originally posted on: 09-20-04 01:13:18 AM)

i really enjoyed this movie, but i feel like braff tried a bit too hard to put all his great ideas and visions into one film. i don't think he'll be able to pull off something like this again. the soundtrack's good though...i was a big postal service fan before this, and even though its not on the actual cd, they have a song in the movie..and now on a commercial for mtv's damn laguna beach...mtv...anger.
for life's not a paragraph
And death i think is no parenthesis
johnhawks

Reply 23 of 51 (Originally posted on: 09-21-04 12:31:26 PM)

Quoted from Dante:
You absolutely nailed this one, Extrapolation.

Come on.

Oh and just to help you out, the complete list of Charlie Kaufman's screenplays is:
Being John Malkovich (1999)
Human Nature (2002)
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (2002)
Adaptation (2002)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

...so now you won't have to go to the trouble of naming them all and putting them on your list.

You forgot his unused script for "A Scanner Darkly", but whatever.

Why do you have to assume that because I compared Garden State to other widely popular movies, that I'm listing them as my favorites and I'm a stupid wannabe film critic who's just trying to fit in with the "Film School Elite"? I'm mean, cut your fucking ego down a notch. I was just saying it was going to be remembered. Prick.
*sigh* Nevermind...
Lyle

My penis is huge

Reply 24 of 51 (Originally posted on: 09-22-04 02:43:25 PM)

Quoted from Polkadot:
the soundtrack's good though...i was a big postal service fan before this, and even though its not on the actual cd, they have a song in the movie..and now on a commercial for mtv's damn laguna beach...mtv...anger.

It's an Iron and Wine cover of 'Such Great Heights' that's on the soundtrack, just in case you didn't know. I like it, even if it is a tad slow for my tastes.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 4808 | Total Posts: 51 ]