Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Serious Discussions: Too serious to have a double entendre in the title > War With Iraq > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 8259 | Total Posts: 52 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
boutitben
INTL Premium Member
Captain Naked Santa

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+186 / -18)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 09-04-02 04:25:15 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I'd like to get an idea of what kind of measures that you think the United States and/or the United Nations should take in response to Iraq. President Bush seems to want to go to war, but [many people of] Congress as well as most of Europe seem to be much more reserved.

Do you think we should send weapons inspectors back? I think we should. Without any proof of them having weapons, I think it's hard for Bush to justify war at all. All he seems to do is call Saddamn evil [he certainly isn't the nicest guy] but there are plenty of other evil people that we aren't trying to overthrow.

I also think it's important for the rest of the "major countries" of the world to see eye-to-eye with us [us being the U.S.] on any action that we take.

Your thoughts?
Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning. A non-functioning mind is clinically dead. Believe in nothing... - Tool

Ballkicks: (+0 / -0)
Reg. Date: Dec 1969
Reply 1 of 52 (Originally posted on: 09-04-02 05:34:27 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I think we should try to get the weapons inspectors back in as soon as possible. If a deal can't be reached without all these provisions that Saddam might make, then we can start thinking seriously about going to war with Saddam. It is also important that we get our main allies with us if we go to war, as if our allies don't support the war, we could be in some trouble with our less-supportive allies. We don't even have Great Britain behind us yet for military action, and they almost always support us in any war we fight.

If we go to war we have to be prepared to stay in Iraq for at least 10-15 years, so they can get a stable government up and running, so that there would be a lesser chance for militants to go and try to destroy the political process that the U.S. would put up.

We need to try all the diplomatic options, before we go to war with Iraq.
Pluveto

Rain Man

Ballkicks: (+164 / -45)
Reply 2 of 52 (Originally posted on: 09-04-02 05:51:40 PM)

I used to be all for deposing Saddam, on the grounds that he's a fucking evil nutcase.

However

Something eifer said really made me think: If America attacks Iraq and Iraq truly is screwed, as it probably would be if we attacked them, Saddam's got nothing to lose, as we're at the highest level of punishment anyway; there'd be no reason for him not to do terrible things to innocent people, whether it be another Kurdish genocide or a terrorist act against civilians elsewhere in the world. I'm more reserved about the issue now, considering this veyr valid point.
asthetik
I SHOULD READ THE HALL OF REJECTS MORE OFTEN!

making jabs at each other is what the internet is for you fucking idiots. oh, and for stealing things.

Ballkicks: (+333 / -161)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 3 of 52 (Originally posted on: 09-04-02 06:18:42 PM)

I think Saddam should be removed from power in a surgical strike of some manner; hes lost the support of the Iraqui people.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 4 of 52 (Originally posted on: 09-04-02 06:31:10 PM)

Personally, I'm still lingering on the idea of having Saddam being overthrown so soon. Not that he isn't a man who has commited many terrible things both to the world and in his country; But I don't see any catalyst for the sudden disposing of Saddam. Up until September 11th, America seemed like a calm country. Some Americans seemed not to like George W. Bush and saw him as incompetent as a President. At this time, most of America (Dealing mainly with American Media) cared almost nothing about the wars or occurances happening in other countries, including their allied countries. Then suddenly September 11th occurs, and the American Government decides to overthrow a government (The Taliban) and search for one man (Osama Bin Laden). Now that the Afghanistan Overthrowing is mostly done, except for fixing Afghanistan again, the American Government (Or atleast George W. Bush) wants to attack the evil presence known as Saddam.

Does this not hint that George W. Bush is trying too hard to be a 'great' president? GWB's Administration has toppled a Countries Government, a Terrorist Faction and now wishes to topple another Countries Government right after the last country they overthrew.

Sure Saddam should be overthrown, afterall think of the things which he has planned. But I'd have to agree with Pluveto as well.

I'd also like to bring up the idea that what occurs when you corner someone or something? Do they immediatly surrender? Not always. Sometimes in a last desperate attempt, they will try to attack their opponent or gain help. Sometimes they succeed, sometimes they do not. And Saddam does have powerful weapons that could virtually cripple the war support on attacking Iraq. Afterall, if one of Americas Powerful allies gets attacked, what will their opinions be? Will the people of the country see this war as useless and that it was a mistake, or that they should continue destroying saddam, though there may be potential attacks in the future.

Though I agree saddam needs to be overthrown, what will make the support in other countries right now higher for this war on Saddam? What catalyst will cause the world to suddenly want to attack Saddam?

Those are my 2 cents for now.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 5 of 52 (Originally posted on: 09-04-02 07:13:20 PM)

Quote:
Do you think we should send weapons inspectors back? I think we should. Without any proof of them having weapons, I think it's hard for Bush to justify war at all. All he seems to do is call Saddamn evil [he certainly isn't the nicest guy] but there are plenty of other evil people that we aren't trying to overthrow.

I certainly agree with that.

I personnally don't think we should take millitary action against him at this moment. We have enough problems with international affairs, and I fear that Bush would just screw things up more with this.

are you confused yet?
Stormraider
User is currently banned until further notice.

im gay

Reply 6 of 52 (Originally posted on: 09-04-02 08:36:36 PM)

Why yes, let's have the United States launch ANOTHER pointless war in which they waste billions of dollars, lives, and bomb their own allies and then end up NOT GETTING THE PRIMARY TARGET.

This whole Iraq thing frustrates me. Why doesn't Bush just wear a giant sign saying "Iraq: My ticket to Re-Election".

Also I was thinking the same thing as Eier had mentioned before, if Iraq is invaded Saddamn can do whatever the hell he wants because he already knows he's screwed.
Stormraider- 73.275% of your daily dose of Cynical Jackass!!
Or how about you participate and NOT be a troll.- Salamando
asthetik
I SHOULD READ THE HALL OF REJECTS MORE OFTEN!

making jabs at each other is what the internet is for you fucking idiots. oh, and for stealing things.

Ballkicks: (+333 / -161)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 7 of 52 (Originally posted on: 09-04-02 08:47:09 PM)

As I was saying earlier, hasn't Sadamm lost most of his support from the people of Iraq? Why don't we just attempt to remove him somewhat more quietly?
Alyantis
FEMALE

Ballkicks: (+89 / -25)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 8 of 52 (Originally posted on: 09-04-02 09:08:09 PM)

To me, i'm kind of laid back by the entire issue, I really think the man should be taken out of leadership, just based on the threat in general to the middle east, and if there is any *real* threat to the US.

I really don't believe he is willing to go chemical weapons on the US. I don't think it's going to happen, I doubt it will escalate to such an event where the US gets hit by a chemical weapons missile, or bomb or whatever weapons Saddam has.

Pluveto does bring up a very good point, that he would be more than willing to use weapons of mass destruction if he knew he was truely screwed.
I'm an agnostic catholic... if that's possible...

Some quote should go here, who wants it?
Pluveto

Rain Man

Ballkicks: (+164 / -45)
Reply 9 of 52 (Originally posted on: 09-06-02 10:00:00 PM)

I wish I could claim the point as my own, but I must report for integrity's sake that it's eifersucht's. i'm a serial-killer :)
Slappo2000

Ballkicks: (+13 / -17)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 10 of 52 (Originally posted on: 09-19-02 10:07:35 PM)

There are two major reasons why the United States would overthrow Saddam's regime.

1. Oil, Iraq has lots and the US can't buy it.

2. Little Georgie is overcompensating for his daddy's failure to kill Saddam in the Gulf War.

If it hadn't of been for Sept.11, then the international community would never let Bush invade Iraq. Is Iraq any more of a threat now then it was before Sept.11, or all we all just out for blood?
Fisher
INTL Premium Member
jhsdfi;loiha

Fishdick

Ballkicks: (+439 / -139)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 11 of 52 (Originally posted on: 09-19-02 10:13:15 PM)

The latter. I think since the US can't find bin Laden, they're just going after the more plausible, Sadam. At least we may have a chance of getting to him.
This post brought to you by the letters F and U

Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 12 of 52 (Originally posted on: 09-19-02 11:09:43 PM)

The US already bombs Iraq about twice a week. I'll bet you guys didn't know that.
"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"
"Pissing in the frozen food section and watching it steam up? Oh yeah."
FISHMANPET

Fishmanpet, son of Manbearpig and Girlfishpet

Ballkicks: (+102 / -63)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 13 of 52 (Originally posted on: 09-19-02 11:25:51 PM)

Aren't we just attacking radar and missle sites in the no-fly zones? I kind of knew that.

Like you guys said, If we attack Iraq Saddam might attack with bilogical, chemical, and/or nuclear weapons, becuase he has no chance. But if we leave him alone, he will eventually attack as when he gets enough WoMD (Weapons of Mass Destruction). And the support of the people is meaningless, he has 3 levels of fanatical guards. It would take quite a large special-ops force to defeat them. I think something has to be done about Sadam, but none of the options really look viable.
Stevo
The Monkey Pirate King

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+101 / -41)
Reply 14 of 52 (Originally posted on: 09-20-02 12:20:59 AM)

Why can't we act in accordance with the UN, for once?
Slappo2000

Ballkicks: (+13 / -17)
Reply 15 of 52 (Originally posted on: 09-20-02 12:28:38 AM)

If only the Americans thought the way you did...
FISHMANPET

Fishmanpet, son of Manbearpig and Girlfishpet

Ballkicks: (+102 / -63)
Reply 16 of 52 (Originally posted on: 09-20-02 12:33:38 AM)

I think the US is somewhat of a "fair-weather friend" with the UN. If the UN supports the US in doing "whatever," fine. If it doesn't, oh well, we'll do it anyway.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 17 of 52 (Originally posted on: 09-20-02 11:21:14 AM)

Quoted from FISHMANPET:
Aren't we just attacking radar and missle sites in the no-fly zones? I kind of knew that.

Actually, the US bombed one of the only water treatment facilities in the country on the grounds that it was a 'chemical weapons plant'.
"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"
"Pissing in the frozen food section and watching it steam up? Oh yeah."
MBS

Ballkicks: (+130 / -100)
Reply 18 of 52 (Originally posted on: 09-20-02 05:37:51 PM)

*hasnt been paying attention to the iraq situation*
*totally ignorant about whats going on*
*will voice oponion anyhow*

If Saddam is not letting weapon inspecters in the country, I think we should send the U.S.A.F. in to blow some shit up untill he does, but not wage a full scale war against him.
The Phoenix

Ballkicks: (+46 / -17)
Reply 19 of 52 (Originally posted on: 09-20-02 10:04:56 PM)

Quote:
If Saddam is not letting weapon inspecters in the country, I think we should send the U.S.A.F. in to blow some shit up untill he does, but not wage a full scale war against him.

Whee! Let's kill innocent civilians! Fun!
Things are not what they used to be; Missing one inside of me
Deathly lost, this can't be real; Cannot stand this hell I feel
Emptiness is filing me; To the point of agony
Growing darkness taking dawn; I was me, but now He's gone...
gimmeprozac

Ballkicks: (+7 / -3)
Reply 20 of 52 (Originally posted on: 09-20-02 10:12:59 PM)

---
Cold hearted orb that rules the night, Removes the colours from our sight. Red is grey and yellow white, But we decide which is right. And which is an illusion???
This reply was last edited on 10-16-05 12:54:07 AM by gimmeprozac.
MBS

Ballkicks: (+130 / -100)
Reply 21 of 52 (Originally posted on: 09-20-02 10:41:47 PM)

I knew Phoenix would see it my way i'm a serial-killer :)
Nail bunny
Silver Bullet Brigade
foom!

Ballkicks: (+68 / -19)
Reply 22 of 52 (Originally posted on: 09-20-02 11:18:00 PM)

I think Bush wants to go to war so he can install a US-friendly puppet govenment in Iraq to get cheap oil, and that's he's using the "War on Terror" as an excuse to do this. Being the dumb fuck he is, he thinks nothing will ever touch him, and if Saddamm does have nuclear weapons, everything will be fucked, even Ritchie Rich Bush. If we went to war with Iraq on the principle of routnig Saddamm because he is a dictator and hurts people, then I *might* be for it, but then there is still the risk of nuclear war. I think diplomacy is best(safest) option.
Nail bunny
Silver Bullet Brigade
foom!

Ballkicks: (+68 / -19)
Reply 23 of 52 (Originally posted on: 09-22-02 10:16:54 PM)

Well, I just fucking killed this, didn't I?

Which is too badMAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
Spurlin

Ballkicks: (+18 / -3)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 24 of 52 (Originally posted on: 10-04-02 12:13:38 PM)

Bush is waving the saber to get everyoneís focus off of the fact that he let our economy turn to shit. Why go to war with Iraq? We can't even get the support of countries that neighbor Iraq ... yanno, the ones that Iraq could possibly reach with an attack?
Everyone is missing the point. Why do Bin Laden, Saddam, and all those others fuck with us? They arenít stupid, and they donít think that what they do will be the end of us. They WANT us to over react. They know that we are going to come and bomb the shit out of them and by doing so we make every single person in the east HATE us. How long before these people unite and do the world some good by taking the US out?

How many times does the US need to bomb everyone before they realize that war wonít make lasting peace?
With the ignorance from your cross as the witness,
The truth of your tragedy make you justice,
In your mirror the high spirit of kindness ...
Looks like malice
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 8259 | Total Posts: 52 ]