Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Homosexuals can't get married here. > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 3426 | Total Posts: 49 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
(Originally posted on: 08-04-04 09:40:25 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Not in Missouri anymore, the constitutional amendment passed. I know other states were voting on this, though I don't know which ones or how their outcome was.

Strategic Edit:
Quote:
(CBS/AP) Missouri voters overwhelmingly approved a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, the first such vote since the historic ruling in Massachusetts last year that legalized same-sex weddings there.

Although the ban was widely expected to pass in conservative Missouri, experts said the campaign served as a key barometer for which strategies work as the gay marriage battle spreads to ballot boxes around the nation. At least nine other states, and perhaps as many as 12, will vote on similar amendments this year.

The amendment had garnered 71 percent of the vote with 97 percent of precincts reporting.

Show-me state voters were making news on another front as well. Democrats sent Gov. Bob Holden packing. He lost to Democratic Auditor Claire McCaskill. Come November, McCaskill will face Republican Secretary of State Matt Blunt, who handily turned back five lesser-known opponents to win the Republican primary.

Missouri and 37 other states already have laws defining marriage as only between a man and a woman. But amendment supporters fear a court could toss aside the state law, and they believe the state would be on firmer legal ground if an outright ban is part of the state Constitution.

"I'm very gratified and encouraged and thankful that the people of this state understand our current policy's a wise public policy and they want to see it protected from a legal challenge," said Vicky Hartzler, a spokeswoman for the Coalition to Protect Marriage in Missouri.

Opponents said the amendment was unnecessary and discriminatory, but knew they faced an uphill battle in Missouri.

"We're already reaching out to these other states, sharing with them what we learned, what worked, what didn't work, and we'll move on," said Doug Gray, campaign manager for the Constitution Defense League. "Ultimately we're right and they're simply wrong."

Supporters and opponents of the amendment have used grassroots campaigns, knocking on doors and making phone calls to tell people about the issue. The group fighting the amendment, the Constitution Defense League, raised more than $360,000, largely from national gay-rights groups, and ran a television ad in the final days before the vote.

The group favoring the amendment, the Coalition to Protect Marriage in Missouri, spread the word through churches and community events, raising just a few thousand dollars but saying public sentiment in Missouri was on their side.

Louisiana residents are to vote on a marriage amendment Sept. 18. Then Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, Montana, Oklahoma, Oregon and Utah are to vote on the issue Nov. 2. Initiatives are pending in Michigan, North Dakota and Ohio.

Four states already have similar amendments.

Source.
I really hope no one comes over here right now.
I just farted, see? And it really stinks.
This could be the end of my professional career.
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 1 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-04-04 09:54:06 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

There is nothing worse than seeing a majority smothering out the rights of a minority.

This is a good example of the democratic process gone wrong.
“Jesus was a black man
No, Jesus was Batman
No, that was Bruce Wayne.”
- Shaun Ryder
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Ballkicks: (+611 / -49)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 2 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-04-04 10:04:57 AM)

I would comment on this topic but I'm about to go into town to murder some fags.
HeavenGaymes hahaha gay mes

"Being tackled is fun cause its like getting a great big hug from a strong guy. You get to lose yourself in his arms...It only hurts when they let go MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS" - Shady Milkman
Sixten Sparre
Épater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 3 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-04-04 10:08:05 AM)

yeah, totally cool that some morons vote against marriage, even though it doesn't affect their lives a bit.

Serious, what fucking effect does it have on a straight person, that a gay person can have a wedding?

It's pure rascism, like in the good old days before blacks voted, am i right.

PS. I'm disgusted
Amiodarone
INTL Premium Member

pronounces name 'ileu'

Ballkicks: (+126 / -46)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 4 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-04-04 10:15:38 AM)

Quoted from Surt:

It's pure rascism, am i right.

Well, no but you have the right idea. It's some sort of discrimination, but not rascism. There's no race of gays as far as I know.

Anyway I think it's outrageous, and most of the election results went diffrently than what I thought they would.
Lyle

My penis is huge

Ballkicks: (+243 / -48)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 5 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-04-04 10:22:53 AM)

Ugh, that's really disgusting and disappointing. How can they justify giving some people the right to get married and not others?
Kapn Xaos
OMG! OMG! LOOK its a Xaos group
Posting is now a bannable offence!

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+97 / -144)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 6 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-04-04 10:27:47 AM)

I guess Missouri doesn't like those fucking assholes.
Agon
Vodka and Lip Gloss
INTL Best Dressed List

when i finish my cut in a few months i'll show you my shiny new abs.

Ballkicks: (+322 / -63)
Reg. Date: Jul 2004
Reply 7 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-04-04 10:32:16 AM)

I'll play Devil's Advocate here.

Quoted from Surt:
yeah, totally cool that some morons vote against marriage, even though it doesn't affect their lives a bit.

Serious, what fucking effect does it have on a straight person, that a gay person can have a wedding?

It's pure rascism, like in the good old days before blacks voted, am i right.

PS. I'm disgusted

I'm guessing most voted for religous reasons. It's the same principle for abortion. Why would a man care if some woman halfway across the US has an abortion? It's against his religion.

I'm not condoning this, though.
"I have never once raped a goat," I objected. "It was always purely consensual."

"Her eyes said no, but her bleat said yes."
Lyle

My penis is huge

Ballkicks: (+243 / -48)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 8 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-04-04 10:44:25 AM)

Quoted from Agon:

I'm guessing most voted for religous reasons. It's the same principle for abortion. Why would a man care if some woman halfway across the US has an abortion? It's against his religion.

I'm not condoning this, though.

It doesn't have to be for religious reasons at all. It could be because the man feels that killing a child is, you know, wrong? Just simple human moral standards.
Agon
Vodka and Lip Gloss
INTL Best Dressed List

when i finish my cut in a few months i'll show you my shiny new abs.

Ballkicks: (+322 / -63)
Reg. Date: Jul 2004
Reply 9 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-04-04 10:51:35 AM)

I know, but I'm simply applying it in a way that is could also explain why someone is against gay marriage. Killing a child has nothing to do with gay marriage, while voting against something for religious reasons does. I suppose a man could feel that gay marriage is wrong by moral standards, but I think the former is more likely.
"I have never once raped a goat," I objected. "It was always purely consensual."

"Her eyes said no, but her bleat said yes."
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Ballkicks: (+781 / -120)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 10 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-04-04 10:58:39 AM)

Quoted from Kapn Xaos:
I guess Missouri doesn't like those fucking assholes.

Pun fully noted and appreciated, dude.

It sounds like Missouri had a conservative upheaval in the past few days. I can't say it bodes well for the homosexual population, so I hope they at least begin protesting the decision, etc.
I love quoting Sarah in my sig.
dramamine: I'd hate to own a home or buy some children and then have her split.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 11 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-04-04 11:57:20 AM)

Well, they will always have Par... San Francisco.
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper]"On it's own this banana pudding is almost palatable. But without Nilla waffers it's just another one of your wretched culinary abortions! *crash* NOW CLEAN IT UP!"
- Stewie
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 12 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-04-04 12:05:50 PM)

I wasn't under the impression that we disliked homosexuals that much.
At last, you know what it means to hate. Now you're ready to be a king.
Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

It all became very clear to me sitting out there today that every decision I’ve ever made in my entire life has been wrong.

Ballkicks: (+1024 / -49)
Reg. Date: Sep 2003
Reply 13 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-04-04 12:22:10 PM)

It is not just conservatives who oppose gay marriage. Here are some prominent democrats and their stance on the issue according to http://lesbianlife.about.com/

Quote:
John Kerry: Kerry initially said he does not support same-sex marriage, but supports civil unions.

Howard Dean: Dean opposes same-sex marriage, but thinks the federal government should recognize legal unions created by states and other countries.

Joseph Lieberman: Lieberman opposes same-sex marriage.

Richard Gephardt: Gephardt opposes civil marriages for same-sex couples.

Wesley Clark: Clark opposes same-sex marriage but says, "I support civil unions so that gays and lesbians have equality and full rights under the law."

John Edwards: Edwards opposes same-sex marriage, but he does not think the Constitution should be amended to define marriage as between a man and a woman.

Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 14 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-04-04 12:26:16 PM)

Quoted from IF0:
I wasn't under the impression that we disliked homosexuals that much.

Joplin's got the second highest homosexual population in the US. And the highest per capita.
I really hope no one comes over here right now.
I just farted, see? And it really stinks.
This could be the end of my professional career.
Adam TW
LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+1 / -1)
Reg. Date: Aug 2004
Reply 15 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-04-04 12:46:16 PM)

Quote:
It is not just conservatives who oppose gay marriage. Here are some prominent democrats and their stance on the issue according to http://lesbianlife.about.com/

Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Kerry: Kerry initially said he does not support same-sex marriage, but supports civil unions.
Howard Dean: Dean opposes same-sex marriage, but thinks the federal government should recognize legal unions created by states and other countries.
Joseph Lieberman: Lieberman opposes same-sex marriage.
Richard Gephardt: Gephardt opposes civil marriages for same-sex couples.
Wesley Clark: Clark opposes same-sex marriage but says, "I support civil unions so that gays and lesbians have equality and full rights under the law."
John Edwards: Edwards opposes same-sex marriage, but he does not think the Constitution should be amended to define marriage as between a man and a woman.

That's just because the only thing any of them worry about is votes. I wish just once we had a democrat who would speak his mind. (i'm curious, you don't happen to know what kucinich said.)

In Minnesota our gay marriage ammendent got killed in the senate. Which was good, because the people here would have passed it in a landslide.
Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

It all became very clear to me sitting out there today that every decision I’ve ever made in my entire life has been wrong.

Ballkicks: (+1024 / -49)
Reg. Date: Sep 2003
Reply 16 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-04-04 01:17:30 PM)

The article says that the amendment had garnered 71 percent of the vote with 97 percent of precincts reporting. According to election polls in Missouri:
Quoted from http://www.surveyusa.com/currentelectionpolls.html:
7/9/2004
Bush (R) 48%
Kerry (D) 46%
Since this election year is so partisan, and conservatives will most likely vote republican and liberals democrat, this poll makes it seem as if Missouri does not have the concentrated population of conservatives you would assume needed for a ban on gay marriage to pass by 71%.

Quote:
I wish just once we had a democrat who would speak his mind. (i'm curious, you don't happen to know what kucinich said.)
Im pretty sure Kucinich and Sharpton are both for gay marriage. Im assuming your definition of a democrat who speaks his mind is a democrat who follows the party ideology regardless of what voters want? I thought that Howard Dean was the guy who always speaks his mind and is straight forward with the people and everything. Because he is against gay marriage, you make it seem as though he is automatically appealing to the voters and not to his own convictions.
Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 17 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-04-04 01:44:14 PM)

I'm not surprised. It seems to be the trend in America to hate and want to oppress anything that's different. The outcome of the vote is annoying and unfortunate, but it's definitely no shocker.
peach
I get enamoured

Just call me "Mom"

Ballkicks: (+735 / -175)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 18 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-04-04 03:21:29 PM)

kayte it's not especially different in Canada, either.

Quoted from Article at [url=www.desiremag.com:
desiremag.com[/url]]Canada: Are We In or Out?
The road to same-sex marriage has brought equality seekers past a number of road blocks, and through many rights-related stoplights. In Canada, we are at a stage where we have moved past the legal argument that equality based on ‘sexual orientation’ is a human right, and now struggle with the fight to have the State apply that right in all areas affecting gay, lesbian and bisexual communities.

The unwillingness to fully implement human rights has manifested in political denial each time a ‘sexual orientation’ right has been challenged in a province. Over and over again, spending many dollars, gay, lesbian and bisexual plaintiffs have put their lives on hold in order to fight legal battles that are essential to the survival of their families. The result of these battles is that Canadian society has given some recognition to the fact that same-sex headed families are equally entitled to the rights that heterosexual headed household can access. Same-sex marriage is a key right in this battle, not because of the legal status it offers, but because of its social status.

As a lawyer, and as the co-parent in a lesbian relationship, I am keenly aware of how the law affects societal acceptance of my family and my community. Equality is not just the semantics of legal recognition, but also the reality of social life. For instance, in Alberta my partner can adopt our 2 year old, but people still want to know who the ‘birth mom’ is, as if she should receive special status. The law on its own will not change my experience of living as a lesbian on a daily basis. Legal recognition of equality is a beginning, but the end is only apparent when the fabric of society, its structure and functioning, has been irreversibly altered. So, although I am not a big proponent of marriage because of its patriarchal history, I acknowledge that a large portion of our society believes in the value of marriage, and without this right, same-sex couples will never be fully equal in Canadian society.

drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 19 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-04-04 05:04:29 PM)

Quote:
It doesn't have to be for religious reasons at all. It could be because the man feels that killing a child is, you know, wrong? Just simple human moral standards.

You can use that same argument to justify voting against gay marriage.

If a straight man votes against it because he feels that marrying someone of the same sex is morally wrong.

Even though two gay people marrying eachother won't affect him, he's just following his moral standards, like in your abortion example.
"Evil is a point of view. God kills and so shall we; indiscriminately. He takes the richest and the poorest, and so shall we; for no creatures under God are as we are, none so like Him as ourselves, dark angels not confined to the stinking limits of hell but wandering His earth and all its kingdoms."
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 20 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-04-04 06:22:51 PM)

Gays are allowed to get married in Canada. Also I think there has been the first gay divorce here as well.

Alberta sucks, though.
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 21 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-04-04 06:31:58 PM)

It's allowed here too.

At least i'm almost certain it is.
I haven't really payed attention.
"Evil is a point of view. God kills and so shall we; indiscriminately. He takes the richest and the poorest, and so shall we; for no creatures under God are as we are, none so like Him as ourselves, dark angels not confined to the stinking limits of hell but wandering His earth and all its kingdoms."
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 22 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-04-04 07:18:58 PM)

I don't vote either way, because I don't care.
uselessinformation
I wasted my fucking time earning this title

cutesy gonzo journalism reference

Ballkicks: (+368 / -31)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 23 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-04-04 09:03:50 PM)

Quoted from kayte:
Gays are allowed to get married in Canada.

But only in four provinces and one territory, last I checked.
Beneath the rule of men entirely great,
The pen is mightier than the sword.

- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Alyantis
FEMALE

Ballkicks: (+89 / -25)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 24 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-04-04 11:43:04 PM)

Quote:
This is a good example of the democratic process gone wrong.

Gone wrong? How about just going? You may think it's fine for gays to get married, but obiviously they don't.
I Cant Skat3: Well, I may be stupid. I'll let others decide that.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3426 | Total Posts: 49 ]