Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Pretension Palace: i don't like that band because you've heard of them > The Village > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: Amphytrite
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 4469 | Total Posts: 48 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
(Originally posted on: 07-31-04 03:01:25 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

So the showing we were going to goto was sold out, and there was a line already for the one starting an hour later, but we all got in. I love Joaquin Phoenix, so I was looking forward to it.

I can't decide what genre to place it in, part drama, part thriller. I don't want to say it's scary as much as suspenseful and creepy. The entire movie has a creepy vibe in it. It gives you the impression something grotesque is about to happen constantly. There were several screams in the theater. A lot of laughter happened at goofier parts too.

There's a big surprise ending, although at the beginning of the movie, the "surprise" occurred to me as a side-thought. I figured out the surprise at the beginning of the movie, didn't think much of it, then it actually happened and irritated me because I wasn't surprised.

I hear it has received bad reviews, but I think it's worth watching atleast once. It's definitely a movie that would do better in theaters due to the better surround sound, making it MUCH creepier.
At last, you know what it means to hate. Now you're ready to be a king.
Matt: oh god, I just farted and breathed through my mouth
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-31-04 05:31:46 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

THE MONSTERS ARE FAKE AND THE MOVIE IS ACTUALLY SET IN MODERN TIMES 
Stormraider: Mr Big is 8 inches of tasty
IF0
Administrator

Reply 2 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-31-04 01:10:11 PM)

At the beginning, I was like "It'd be cool if they were hidden inside modern society. But.. there aren't any planes, there should be planes." Then they explained it later in the movie, and I wasn't surprised and it sucked. 
PR
INTL Alumni
oh

Bassists never get no love, man.

Ballkicks: (+486 / -101)
Reply 3 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-31-04 01:40:02 PM)

This movie was complete fucking garbage.

The two saving graces:

Ivy was hot.
Adrien Brody gave a really good performance.

M. Night Shyamalan is a hack.
Champagne for my real friends; real pain for my sham friends.
asthetik
I SHOULD READ THE HALL OF REJECTS MORE OFTEN!

making jabs at each other is what the internet is for you fucking idiots. oh, and for stealing things.

Ballkicks: (+333 / -161)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 4 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-31-04 06:49:13 PM)

M. Night needs to stop making the same fucking movie.

Btw:

Ivy was not hot.
asthetik - year 04/05

the only difference between a caprice and a life-long passion is that the caprice lasts a little longer
IF0
Administrator

Reply 5 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-31-04 06:54:26 PM)

She was cute in a blind girl way.
digit
INTL Premium Member
brown shoes don't make it

Sharkbite

Ballkicks: (+49 / -12)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 6 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-31-04 07:23:24 PM)

didn't see it yet, but half my friends tried out to be an extra. since they filmed around here, that is. One actually almost got the part, but apparently he didn't make it into the movie.
Tyr

I cybered with Kayte

Ballkicks: (+479 / -130)
Reply 7 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-31-04 09:15:43 PM)

I don't understand how you guys hated it so much. The movie was compulsively unsettling.

A few things I didn't understand:

When Lucius brings wood into the man's house whose child had just recently died, and the guy says "the dog can smell your fear", and they both look to the hole in the wall, is he tipping Lucius in about his 'monster' suit? 

How the fuck could they bury the kid in the beginning of the movie in the preserve, and then it appears in Shyamalan's paper outside the preserve at the end of the movie? I should have been reading the paper, but I can't connect it at all. 

What the fuck is the point of Lucius' mom and Mr. Walker being at the chicken coop, and Lucius' mom talking about how she doesn't understand how her stock could have been killed? Even if she was saying 'too high for a coyote' to skirt the issue of saying 'too high for one of us to reach', how the fuck does that even tie in? I remember Walker telling Ivy that he thought one of the elders was responsible for the dead animals, but what's the fucking point if it isn't explained (I don't think) who skins the animals and why, later on? 
Lyle

My penis is huge

Ballkicks: (+243 / -48)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 8 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-31-04 09:21:39 PM)

I heard terrible things about this movie and probably won't see it until it comes out on video. It is rather disappointing, but I'm glad I spent my money on the Manchurian Candidate instead of this.
Pascal
The Alpha Nerd

I love you, but why must you love the law?

Ballkicks: (+419 / -41)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 9 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-31-04 09:31:01 PM)

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!
Vervet
Anti-wiki

Ballkicks: (+875 / -84)
Reply 10 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-31-04 10:07:50 PM)

I'm going to see it some time next week for free because I'm cool and I have friends that work at the cinema and love me.
All the white horses are still in bed.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 11 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-31-04 10:13:40 PM)

Quoted from Vervet:
I'm going to see it some time next week for free because I'm cool and I have friends that work at the cinema and love me.

Wake up, dear. Time to clean your cage.
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper]"On it's own this banana pudding is almost palatable. But without Nilla waffers it's just another one of your wretched culinary abortions! *crash* NOW CLEAN IT UP!"
- Stewie
Tyr

I cybered with Kayte

Reply 12 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-31-04 10:22:09 PM)

You guys should be more concerned about addressing my questions and less concerned about other things.
Vervet
Anti-wiki

Reply 13 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-31-04 10:25:41 PM)

Quoted from British Agent:
Quoted from Vervet:

What am I? A monkey?

Quote:
You guys should be more concerned about addressing my questions and less concerned about other things.

If you hadn't been busy macking up on that minor you would've gotten the answers to your questions.*

*Wait until I see the movie.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 14 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-31-04 10:31:29 PM)

Quoted from Vervet:
Quoted from British Agent:
Quoted from Vervet:

What am I? A monkey?

Your words, not mine.

Quoted from Tyr:

I'm gonna go with: It was a shitty movie and those were plot-holes.
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper]"On it's own this banana pudding is almost palatable. But without Nilla waffers it's just another one of your wretched culinary abortions! *crash* NOW CLEAN IT UP!"
- Stewie
Tyr

I cybered with Kayte

Reply 15 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-31-04 10:52:28 PM)

Quote:
If you hadn't been busy macking up on that minor you would've gotten the answers to your questions.

ATTN Bitch: I watched the entire movie except for when I blinked, thank you.

Quote:
I'm gonna go with: It was a shitty movie and those were plot-holes.

Or you could cough up some of those many dollars you have and go see the fucking movie and explain it to me. big grin
Fisher
INTL Premium Member
jhsdfi;loiha

Fishdick

Ballkicks: (+439 / -139)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 16 of 48 (Originally posted on: 08-01-04 12:45:19 AM)

I thought it was a good movie that you should see once.

Too bad I was fucking stupid enough to read FA's post.

Jesus Christ, never again.
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 17 of 48 (Originally posted on: 08-01-04 01:09:00 AM)

I got completely turned off to M. Night Shyamalan movies after Signs. The fucker needs to learn how to write an ending. He had a real good twist in The Sixth Sense, and even Unbreakable had a rather good twist, but his last two movies have just been predictable bullshit. He needs to stop going for "big surprise ending" movies. Signs would've been good with a different ending. If you ignore the ending it was a good, freaky movie. With the ending, though, it's extremely anticlimactic. The Village is the same way.
Stormraider: Mr Big is 8 inches of tasty
spoon

Deer Hunter

Ballkicks: (+60 / -18)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
Reply 18 of 48 (Originally posted on: 08-01-04 04:15:54 AM)

Although plenty say it's crap, I think I'd still like to see it. I thought the previews looked good. Then again, the previews usually do look good and most of the time the movie is crap. I think I might wait until it's out on video too, though.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 19 of 48 (Originally posted on: 08-01-04 07:03:35 AM)

Problem is...I thought Signs was awesome...so I'll go see it. I can't help but want to see a movie everyone hated anyway. Anti Climactic is ok sometimes...I thought it worked for signs, it may not work in The Village, but I'm going to see it.
Vervet
Anti-wiki

Reply 20 of 48 (Originally posted on: 08-01-04 03:54:10 PM)

Quoted from Tyr:
Quote:
If you hadn't been busy macking up on that minor you would've gotten the answers to your questions.

ATTN Bitch: I watched the entire movie except for when I blinked, thank you.

ATTN Oversensitive Teen:
Quote:
Wait until I see the movie.

You're welcome.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 21 of 48 (Originally posted on: 08-01-04 05:37:20 PM)

So how long did M. Night Shyamalan spend on camera? Did he give away hints to characters in the movie to help them figure out the surprise ending? Did "DIRECTED BY M. NIGHT SHYAMALAN" appear in huge 7000-point font right before the movie started and right when the movie ended?

These are important questions.
No.
jimmy
Selber Schuld, kein Mitleid

I am really bad at giving custom titles and, well, the internet in general tbqh

Ballkicks: (+506 / -233)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 22 of 48 (Originally posted on: 08-01-04 06:20:33 PM)

Quoted from Sandamnit:
So how long did M. Night Shyamalan spend on camera? Did he give away hints to characters in the movie to help them figure out the surprise ending? Did "DIRECTED BY M. NIGHT SHYAMALAN" appear in huge 7000-point font right before the movie started and right when the movie ended?

These are important questions.

i don't know how you feel about mr. tarantino, but the same can be said for a lot of his movies.
EscalatorToHell

elusive and illustrious

Ballkicks: (+177 / -80)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 23 of 48 (Originally posted on: 08-01-04 06:32:41 PM)

Quoted from Tyr:
 When Lucius brings wood into the man's house whose child had just recently died, and the guy says "the dog can smell your fear", and they both look to the hole in the wall, is he tipping Lucius in about his 'monster' suit? 

I don't think that little hole in the wall was a monster suit. I thought it was the box that held things from the modern world, since that's what Mr. Walker's box had in it. 
Quote:
 How the fuck could they bury the kid in the beginning of the movie in the preserve, and then it appears in Shyamalan's paper outside the preserve at the end of the movie? I should have been reading the paper, but I can't connect it at all. 

That was rather odd, because shouldn't the people in the modern world not know of anyone in the village? 
Quote:
 What the fuck is the point of Lucius' mom and Mr. Walker being at the chicken coop, and Lucius' mom talking about how she doesn't understand how her stock could have been killed? Even if she was saying 'too high for a coyote' to skirt the issue of saying 'too high for one of us to reach', how the fuck does that even tie in? I remember Walker telling Ivy that he thought one of the elders was responsible for the dead animals, but what's the fucking point if it isn't explained (I don't think) who skins the animals and why, later on? 

It wasn't that she didn't understand how her stock could've been killed. It was that she knew no one else would believe the coyote stories any more so she couldn't effectively cover it up. 
You're skin and bones; I'm a nervous wreck.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 24 of 48 (Originally posted on: 08-01-04 06:56:34 PM)

Quoted from awkward jimmy:
i don't know how you feel about mr. tarantino, but the same can be said for a lot of his movies.
I feel the same way about Tarantino's obvious glory mongering when it comes to his name being displayed before his movies start and after his movies end. I just don't think that's necessary to do, especially for high profile directors such as him, Midnight, Spielberg, Lynch, and so forth.

Tarantino also tends to make cameo appearances in his films, but rarely, if ever as a serious role that has some importance other than either dying, helping slightly, or making strange commentary that anyone could be cast to do. Shyamalan tends to cast himself doing something that turns the tide of the movie; I feel as though he does this, because he is inherently vain and wants to be remembered as "that guy who made the important discovery" in his films, rather than as a random convienience store clerk.

However, I do tolerate Tarantino's vanity, because he is entertaining and tries not to rely on hoky surprise endings to wow his audience. Tarantino's films tend to be continuously entertaining where as a minor subplot can be as interesting as the main plotline, thus his films entertainment comes in a form which doesn't only rely on the main plot for entertainment.

Shyamalan's films, on the other hand, tend to always rely on the surprise ending that someone watching it could never plausibly guess with objective information presented early on in the film. As IF0 said, he thought about the ending at the beginning of the film, but only as a lark, not because he caught a subtle glint of information hinting toward that ending presented in the film. In this way, I feel as though he surprises his audience through ignorance in lack of content.

edit: fixed retarded error in third paragraph
No.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 4469 | Total Posts: 48 ]