Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Linux Corner: computers for something other than windows? WHAT > The Doom 3 thread > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 3179 | Total Posts: 29 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
(Originally posted on: 07-29-04 02:18:10 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Since Pal's thread FUCKING SUCKS, I've decided to start a new one, mainly because of lol official Doom 3 [H] benchmarks, that show that the game looks fucking awesome at low specs.

I want this game right now, I really do. It looks fucking awesome, and probably sounds, too.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 1 of 29 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 02:35:19 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Best Buy gave me a VIP pass to cut to the front of the line there on the day of the "Doom Release Party" to get a copy; but apperantly I'm supposed to give it to a customer who's bought more that $200 worth of stuff. I'm really tempted to keep it though.
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper]"On it's own this banana pudding is almost palatable. But without Nilla waffers it's just another one of your wretched culinary abortions! *crash* NOW CLEAN IT UP!"
- Stewie
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."

GLEEK

Reply 2 of 29 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 06:44:09 PM)

Quoted from British Agent:
Best Buy gave me a VIP pass to cut to the front of the line there on the day of the "Doom Release Party" to get a copy; but apperantly I'm supposed to give it to a customer who's bought more that \$200 worth of stuff. I'm really tempted to keep it though.
You're crazy if you do that.
Mr Bounce

Ballkicks: (+95 / -37)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 3 of 29 (Originally posted on: 07-30-04 04:06:01 AM)

Any sane geek would use it for DOOM 3.
izzy: fuck you
Soccy: after my nap
"SHUT UP YOU NIGGER TERRORIST!!" - Flaming Arrow
"Department store computers are like mcdonalds hamburgers, squished up really small and full of shit" - Baggy_Brad
"I suppose I could forgive you, but that would probably involve giving a damn, and I'm just not prepared to do that." - uselessinformation
IB
Stays True to His Name

I should die

Ballkicks: (+171 / -76)
Reply 4 of 29 (Originally posted on: 07-30-04 06:16:30 PM)

My computer should be able to play it at 1024x768 at High and not go below 15fps.

This is fucking great.

Also, that shit about it sounding great even on integrated sound?

That is fucking great.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."

GLEEK

Reply 5 of 29 (Originally posted on: 07-30-04 06:44:44 PM)

Quoted from IB:
Also, that shit about it sounding great even on integrated sound?

That is fucking great.
As long as you have access to a 5.1 surround sound system, you have 5.1 surround, no Audigy ou Sound Blaster Live or whatever required.

RIP AND TEAR

In order to avoid freaking out and killing myself, I will not look at http://photobucket.com/albums/v373/supervillainx/
This reply was last edited on 07-30-04 08:43:54 PM by antpocas.
DracKul
LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+2 / -0)
Reg. Date: Jan 2004
Reply 6 of 29 (Originally posted on: 08-01-04 04:06:15 PM)

EB tells me I can pick up my copy tomorrow, 8/2... Some sort of EB early release perk. If this is for real, I'm so pumped!
Blutsauger

"How can you kill, women, children?" "Easy, you just don't lead em' so much!"
Bill
INTL Premium Member

Thanks to id's "Can't see shit!" technology, Doom3 will run great on any computer!

Ballkicks: (+184 / -54)
Reply 7 of 29 (Originally posted on: 08-01-04 04:15:46 PM)

Quoted from DracKul:
EB tells me I can pick up my copy tomorrow, 8/2... Some sort of EB early release perk. If this is for real, I'm so pumped!

I have a friend who works at EB and she told me they release early to pre-orders. It is about time people who pre-order start getting perks besides little metal figurines.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Reply 8 of 29 (Originally posted on: 08-01-04 08:09:17 PM)

Well the cards of Best Buy fate have spoken and apperantly I'm actually one of the host employee/cashiers for the Doom Release Party... of eh, doom. 10pm - 2am, fuckin' a (not because the hours suck, but because family guy is on at 2).
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper]"On it's own this banana pudding is almost palatable. But without Nilla waffers it's just another one of your wretched culinary abortions! *crash* NOW CLEAN IT UP!"
- Stewie
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 9 of 29 (Originally posted on: 08-02-04 01:34:12 AM)

I just got me a copy of it, however, the computer I'm currently on isn't fast enough to handle it. Oh well. I'll just have to wait until I get out to Texas to try it out.
No.
Fisher
INTL Premium Member
jhsdfi;loiha

Fishdick

Ballkicks: (+439 / -139)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 10 of 29 (Originally posted on: 08-02-04 01:50:36 AM)

I just read Spokker Jone's article over at SA about Doom 3 and though it was awesome. It sums up my ideas on the game perfectly.

http://www.somethingawful.com/
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

Reply 11 of 29 (Originally posted on: 08-03-04 12:55:38 AM)

Well I'm back from the supposed Best Buy DOOM 3 Party. Never before have I seen so many nerds drooling in one place; except for that once Star Trek convention when the hot Bajorian chick who married the brother of the batrender in DS9 showed up.

I got to play Doom on some top-of-the-line computer hooked up to some widescreen, 5x9 foot HDTV though, and that made my night. About 150 people showed up, along with our local radio station's (DC 101) representitives to pass out tee-shirts and stickers.
~British[/whisper] Agent
- Stewie
NNY
Alcoholics Anonymous
Forum Drunkard

Staying in alone, with my cat.

Ballkicks: (+666 / -76)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 12 of 29 (Originally posted on: 08-03-04 01:45:55 AM)

a radio station showed up to a geek orgy? interesting... that doesnt really seem like the sort of thing that makes good airplay.

anyhow... i had the alpha when it was first going around. its the only thing my computer has ever had trouble with. if my Ti4600 hadnt of exploded then i would be even more excited than i am... but im going to have to wait a while before i can play on account of my still not having built my new computer.

i might actually buy this one, just on account of it being Doom. i remember when i bought the first doom... back in the day... lol am i rite??? all ur base r belong 2 us
I hate yankees and this is one reason why. Just because you can't pay for 3 hot dogs doesn't mean that the economy is bad and ya'll think that bush is an idiot because he's from Texas. Well f you because he saved your ass from people like Sadam Houssein and don't go thinking i'm just a minupulated trailor trash illiterate for taking up for him because I'm smarter than 90% of the world.

"There's not a lot of cursing, swearing, personal cuts, there's not a lot of put downs, it's not you know screen-fulls of you know "go to hell", it's just surprising."

--- John Allen about "Internet"
Bill
INTL Premium Member

Thanks to id's "Can't see shit!" technology, Doom3 will run great on any computer!

Reply 13 of 29 (Originally posted on: 08-03-04 08:35:40 PM)

Waited from 9 to 10 until BestBuy opened this morning. Got the first copy, though I'm not going to install it until I upgrade my machine thursday.
Stormraider
User is currently banned until further notice.

im gay

Reply 14 of 29 (Originally posted on: 08-03-04 09:09:49 PM)

I really, really hope this game fucking sucks.

I'm sorry, but my life will be essentially made if Doom 3 fails miserably, if only because it's been hyped more than Daikatana and Episode 1 together, and we know how well THOSE both did after the initial groups realized they were atrocious.
Stormraider- 73.275% of your daily dose of Cynical Jackass!!
Passionate Apathy: Not just a paradox, but a lifestyle.
Bill
INTL Premium Member

Reply 15 of 29 (Originally posted on: 08-03-04 09:32:50 PM)

Quoted from Stormraider:

I'm sorry, but my life will be essentially made if Doom 3 fails miserably, if only because it's been hyped more than Daikatana and Episode 1 together, and we know how well THOSE both did after the initial groups realized they were atrocious.

It doesn't suck, by any stretch of the imagination in my opinion. I played it today and I honestly can't think of anything that I didn't like.
Nemesis
Zuri's Cat
They're ALL scientologists damn you! IT'S A CONSPIRACY!

Ballkicks: (+87 / -19)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 16 of 29 (Originally posted on: 08-03-04 10:25:21 PM)

Quoted from Ivan Drago:
Quoted from Stormraider:

It doesn't suck, by any stretch of the imagination in my opinion. I played it today and I honestly can't think of anything that I didn't like.

Well...there is one problem. It needs a shoulder-mount flashlight. The game is really dark, which is all good by me because it makes it all the more creepy. They did include a hotkey to switch from current weapon to flashlight and back. ID, congratulations on recieving my soul in payment for this game, it was worth every....whatever souls are made of.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."

GLEEK

Reply 17 of 29 (Originally posted on: 08-04-04 04:06:17 AM)

Quoted from Stormraider:

id isn't Ion Storm. id never made a bad game.
Jason Cruz

Ballkicks: (+24 / -12)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 18 of 29 (Originally posted on: 08-04-04 06:23:50 PM)

Quoted from Nemesis:
Quoted from Ivan Drago:
Quoted from Stormraider:

Well...there is one problem. It needs a shoulder-mount flashlight. The game is really dark, which is all good by me because it makes it all the more creepy. They did include a hotkey to switch from current weapon to flashlight and back. ID, congratulations on recieving my soul in payment for this game, it was worth every....whatever souls are made of.
I disagree. It's better shining your flashlight into pitch black corridors then fumbling about for the change weapon key when you spot a fat, chainsaw-armed zombie charging towards you. The game's more frightning/atmospheric without the mountable flashlight.

And I fucking hate the imps.
Stormraider

im gay

Reply 19 of 29 (Originally posted on: 08-05-04 08:06:21 AM)

I like how Gamespot gives it an 8.5, then spends the entire review ripping it apart with the odd "but it has nice graphics".

Someone's playing to the sponsors....
NNY
Alcoholics Anonymous
Forum Drunkard

Staying in alone, with my cat.

Ballkicks: (+666 / -76)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 20 of 29 (Originally posted on: 08-05-04 11:07:04 AM)

for all you guys who were rushing to best buy to make sure you got a copy... target had and still has a metric fuckton of them. my target at least, which is a pretty busy store.
I hate yankees and this is one reason why. Just because you can't pay for 3 hot dogs doesn't mean that the economy is bad and ya'll think that bush is an idiot because he's from Texas. Well f you because he saved your ass from people like Sadam Houssein and don't go thinking i'm just a minupulated trailor trash illiterate for taking up for him because I'm smarter than 90% of the world.

"There's not a lot of cursing, swearing, personal cuts, there's not a lot of put downs, it's not you know screen-fulls of you know "go to hell", it's just surprising."

--- John Allen about "Internet"
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reply 21 of 29 (Originally posted on: 08-05-04 06:20:54 PM)

It would make it alot easier if the flashlight was shoulder mounted, then you wouldn't have to fumble around trying to get your gun out when you open a door. Of course, the fact that it would be easier is why it's probably not in the game.
Bill
INTL Premium Member

Reply 22 of 29 (Originally posted on: 08-05-04 09:46:23 PM)

Quoted from Tartarus:
It would make it alot easier if the flashlight was shoulder mounted, then you wouldn't have to fumble around trying to get your gun out when you open a door. Of course, the fact that it would be easier is why it's probably not in the game.

It has nothing to do with being easy. The idea behind the game is to be a good, sci-fi horror FPS. If the flashlight were shoulder mounted, it would entirely remove the effect of the shadows and textures in the game.

What's with people saying the game has no depth? It has plenty of depth for anything coming out of the Doom series. Doom isn't supposed to be some tactical shooter, "tango down!". Doom is supposed to be a shoot first and shoot some more. My first computer games were Doom and Wolf3D. Simply put, Doom 3 satisfies all expectations of an iD fan like me.
Stormraider

im gay

Reply 23 of 29 (Originally posted on: 08-05-04 11:31:06 PM)

And it doesn't satisfy fans of more depth-based FPS's.

That's entirely the point which is trying to be made. There are so many people already hyping the game to fuck, and clearly not realizing that "good for Doom" is not synonymous with "innovative", "excellent", "amazing" or the numerous other adjectives being used to describe it.
etymxris
INTL Developer

JUST AS PLANNED

Ballkicks: (+179 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 24 of 29 (Originally posted on: 08-06-04 11:39:24 PM)

Someone already fixed the flashlight issues, with duct tape.

http://ducttape.glenmurphy.com
http://clevernothing.org
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3179 | Total Posts: 29 ]