Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > National Conventions > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 2867 | Total Posts: 50 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
(Originally posted on: 07-29-04 09:37:39 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

So far, the Democratic National Covention has had mostly negative effects on it's host city, Boston.

Tens of thousands of workers have decided not to commute, both from fears of terrorism, and the fact that nearly every single major highway into the city from any direction has been shut down. This has devastated the city's economy, as restaurants sit empty. Boston's normally busy tourism business has slowed to a record low, and hotels to sit empty as well.

It cost Boston almost $90 million for DNC security alone; a price that could have bought new streetlights for the entire city.

All of this just for a boring partisan event, which has survived far past it's useful purpose. No longer is the delegate decided at the convention, like the days of JFK and Nixon. Now the conventions serve only as a platform for the contenders in the presidental race to attack each other. It's no wonder why national ratings for the DNC are at another all time low - it is becoming more and more obvious that the conventions are useless and obsolete.

Have you watched any coverage of the conventions so far, or do you plan to? Do you think that the conventions still have a necessary purpose? Would you ever consider going to one if you had the luck (:rolleyesi'm a serial-killer :) of having one come to your city?
Buck Fush
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Ballkicks: (+781 / -120)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 1 of 50 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 09:40:46 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I would come. I don't see the conventions as anything but a rallying point for the respective party. For it to go back to the purpose of identifying the party platform would be nice... but in general, I just think it's uplifting for voters of their respective parties to see its prominent leaders all in one place promoting solidarity within the ranks.
Stare on. Don't let her glance be too sharp.
Don't stop. Glances are a playground.
Stay around the sound of laughing boys.
Walk on around the table making noise. Stare on! Oh no?
I wanna turn the bathtub on and watch this house drown from the lawn.
I wanna turn this energy on.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 2 of 50 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 10:34:32 AM)

I know Atlantic City held one a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure that AC doesn't have the want, time or space to have a convention of this size anymore. That said...
I haven't watched any of the DNC coverage on the tele. I read about it in the paper though, because that seems to be the only thing the paper is capable of covering at this point.
I don't know if I'd really want to go to one of the political conventions. The sheer number of people intimidates me, but also it now seems that political conventions such as the DNC and RNC are really used more as pep rallies to "gather up the troops", per se, and blast music. I guess they really seem to be more like fanfare than anything else.
I would go if someone were willing to go with me, but I wouldn't stay very long and I doubt I'd be very impressed.
Feeling all alone without a friend, it makes me feel like dying.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 3 of 50 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 10:40:02 AM)

Boring? I take it you haven't watched or heard any of the speeches that have gone on at the convention, particularly Barack Obama's speech and Bill Clinton's speech. Simply put: Wow.

As far as terrorism being a looming threat in Boston because of the DNC. If fucking Ronald McDonald was signing Happy Meals at a downtown McDonalds, people would fear that a terrorist attack would happen; people are just too damned afraid of their own shadows and get scared and ball up in the fetal position when balloons pop around them, unexpectedly.

And yes, the DNC and the RNC both have important purposes and are completely necessary for both parties. They prepare people for (or in most cases, remind people of) the upcoming election and put out the messages each party wants to convey for the election.

On top of that, this election is probably going to be one of the most important elections in the last 20 or more years, so yes, I think both the DNC and RNC are necessary to get each respective party's word out. I do not, however, feel as though they shouldn't hold a convention, simply because people are too chickenshit to leave their cockroach infested apartments for fear of Osama bin Laden and his gang of wacky al Qaeda bandits just so deciding to blow up the convention.
No.
Fisher
INTL Premium Member
jhsdfi;loiha

Fishdick

Ballkicks: (+439 / -139)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 4 of 50 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 10:40:41 AM)

The DNC is a trainwreck. Everyone is speaking about issues that were two years ago and keep bringing up Civil Rights stuff. Morons.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 5 of 50 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 10:43:13 AM)

Quoted from Fisher:
The DNC is a trainwreck. Everyone is speaking about issues that were two years ago and keep bringing up Civil Rights stuff. Morons.
Yeah, because as we all know, Civil Rights totally are a thing of the past now. Everyone is equal and there have been absolutely no Arab families persecuted or ostracized for believing in Allah by good ol' God-fearing, red-blooded, nascar-watching, flag-saluting Americans.
No.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 6 of 50 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 10:54:32 AM)

Quoted from Dante:
It's no wonder why national ratings for the DNC are at another all time low - it is becoming more and more obvious that the conventions are useless and obsolete.
Yeah, replace it with the Super Bowl instead, making sure we have plenty of Miller Lite commercials with scantily clad women in wet t-shirts and thongs splashing water at each other. That'll get the ratings up.

The ratings are low, because most people are too ignorant to care and would rather watch Survivor or re-runs of Andy Griffith on TBS. That doesn't mean they should cancel it. Oh shit, we're losing Generation X, let's put some strippers behind Obama and have flames shoot out of the stage whenever the audience applauses.

Anyway, people's willful ignorance of politics and government shouldn't lead to media neglicence of important political events.
No.
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Reply 7 of 50 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 10:59:36 AM)

Wouldn't issues that were covered two years ago be relevant because they're valid complaints against the Bush administration? I'd grant you that comment if you said "ten years ago" or something, but that's just a little idiotic to assume that Democrats would not speak of prominent issues from their Republican opponent's presidency.

Also, civil rights has become an issue in the election because of that infernal Patriot Act and all these actions taken against alleged 'terrorists' that violate our Bill of Rights and some human rights.
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Reply 8 of 50 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 11:10:57 AM)

Quoted from Sandamnit:
Boring? I take it you haven't watched or heard any of the speeches that have gone on at the convention, particularly Barack Obama's speech and Bill Clinton's speech. Simply put: Wow.

In fact I did watch both speeches, and yes, I was very impressed. Obama was excellent and eloquent, and has been the highlight of the DNC so far. Clinton's speech was also interesting and powerful, along with Hillary's discussion of health care.

It is a shame that these speeches make up only little more than an hour of the convention so far. Ted Kennedy, who I personally like as a senator, gave a terrible speech. It was both boring and partisan, and I expected more from him. The same can be said about the majority of Gore's speech as well. Edwards' speech last night was mediocre and repetive, although I enjoy his positive attitude when compared to the 'Bush bashing' that has made up the majority of the DNC so far.

Quote:
As far as terrorism being a looming threat in Boston because of the DNC. If fucking Ronald McDonald was signing Happy Meals at a downtown McDonalds, people would fear that a terrorist attack would happen; people are just too damned afraid of their own shadows and get scared and ball up in the fetal position when balloons pop around them, unexpectedly.

I do not feel as though they shouldn't hold a convention, simply because people are too chickenshit to leave their cockroach infested apartments for fear of Osama bin Laden and his gang of wacky al Qaeda bandits just so deciding to blow up the convention.

I am not afraid of a terrorist attack...I find it very unlikely, and with that said, I refuse to live in fear just because John Ashcroft and Tom Ridge say so. I don't know one other person who is afraid either. Fear is not the thing keeping the workers out of Boston. The fact that it is nearly impossible to get into the city may have more to do with it.

My problem with the situation is how the lives of an entire city have been inconvienced so that a few thousand democrats can throw a party, a party that has been funded by Boston tax-payer money.

Quote:
And yes, the DNC and the RNC both have important purposes and are completely necessary for both parties. They prepare people for (or in most cases, remind people of) the upcoming election and put out the messages each party wants to convey for the election.

On top of that, this election is probably going to be one of the most important elections in the last 20 or more years, so yes, I think both the DNC and RNC are necessary to get each respective party's word out.

I have no issue with the rally portion of the conventions, just the idea of delagates. Their useful purpose is gone. The canidate is already decided by the time the convention happens, so really there is no reason to send thousands of delegates across the country. I fully support large rallys the size of the convention, where citizens of the host city can actually get a seat. A convention sized rally could have the same effect of getting 'each respective party's word out'.
Buck Fush
kham
you're a cigarette!

Bedwetter

Ballkicks: (+259 / -51)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 9 of 50 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 12:29:36 PM)

I watched John Edwards speech last night. And let me just say, I was very impressed. I now throughly believe I know where his speechwriters stand on the issues.
Fisher
INTL Premium Member
jhsdfi;loiha

Fishdick

Reply 10 of 50 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 12:33:01 PM)

My Republican views are probably not for this thread, but it seems to me all they have done so far is trash Bush. How about being positive and attacking a "common enemy".

Oh and the whole thing of Gore talking about how the rich need to not run the country is bullshit. Every man up there is in power because he is rich. Edwards made his money off the backs of poor crippled children while putting doctors out of work, and I'm surprised no media has covered his could-be controversial past.

Gore didn't work a fucking day in his life for his money and he's up there acting like he picked cotton for 30 years.
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Reply 11 of 50 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 12:35:04 PM)

And Republicans never trash Democrats, ever. Oh, that party's always being victimized by those high-for-lootin' sadistic Democrats!

Also, kham: +k.
Fisher
INTL Premium Member
jhsdfi;loiha

Fishdick

Reply 12 of 50 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 12:40:45 PM)

I said Bush, not the Republican Party. Big difference.
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Reply 13 of 50 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 12:45:54 PM)

Quoted from Fisher:

Not really, since Bush is the key leader elected from the Republican party that the Democrats are trying to replace...

But in a way, I do agree with the fact that the issues of the election have not been adequately covered by the speakers so far. I'm a bit biased because as a Democrat, I love Bush bashing.
kham
you're a cigarette!

Bedwetter

Ballkicks: (+259 / -51)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 14 of 50 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 01:47:52 PM)

Quoted from Fisher:

Gore didn't work a fucking day in his life for his money and he's up there acting like he picked cotton for 30 years.

i know... lazy bum vice-president not working! i heard when he should have been in a committee analyzing the national budget, he was only building his collection of red hot chili peppers memorabilia.

Quote:

Small difference.

Quote:
How about being positive and attacking a "common enemy".

Edwards was very positive and attacked a common enemy - that enemy being Bush.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 15 of 50 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 02:29:35 PM)

Quoted from kham:
Quoted from Fisher:
Quote:

Small difference.

Large enough to be noticable by the average American.
Or at least, I should hope so.
[q=Dante]It cost Boston almost $90 million for DNC security alone; a price that could have bought new streetlights for the entire city.

Whoa, I didn't see this. That's pretty serious security, but it must totally be worth it if nothing has happened yet.</sarcasm> That's a waste of money. Security isn't going to stop something from happening, because if someone wants to blow the FleetCenter to ash, they're going to find ways around security.
Feeling all alone without a friend, it makes me feel like dying.
Fisher
INTL Premium Member
jhsdfi;loiha

Fishdick

Reply 16 of 50 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 02:34:09 PM)

"Common Enemy" meaning something the Republicans and Democrats should both want to fight.

In other words, terrorism/religious extremeists, the illegal fucking aliens flooding our borders and wanting to be able to vote in the US elections.
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 17 of 50 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 02:37:44 PM)

I'm not American but I still pay attention to the DNC, some of the speeches have been absolutely spectacular, and it gives me hope that maybe come November the Democrats won't be a bust. As a Canadian, I still want Bush out, out, out!

Barack Obama for President, 2012.
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Reply 18 of 50 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 02:53:09 PM)

Quoted from kham:
I watched John Edwards speech last night. And let me just say, I was very impressed. I now throughly believe I know where his speechwriters stand on the issues.

Right on, but not quite true for this speech.

I read in the paper today that Edwards went through 30 drafts on yellow lined paper before giving the speech. No doubt it was shaped by the campain writers, though.

Quote:
Edwards was very positive and attacked a common enemy - that enemy being Bush.

Edwards didn't mention Bush or Cheney once last night. The only time he went negative at all was when he complained that "republicans are doing all they can to take this campain for the highest office in the land down the lowest possible road..."
Buck Fush
Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

It all became very clear to me sitting out there today that every decision Iíve ever made in my entire life has been wrong.

Ballkicks: (+1024 / -49)
Reg. Date: Sep 2003
Reply 19 of 50 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 03:30:26 PM)

Ive watched a bit of it. The democrats are doing their best to subdue themselves. There is very little if any Bush bashing. They do not want to portray themselves at this point as an angry party to the American people. It is the first time that I atleast have seen them so far in the campaign focus more on themselves than on what the Bush administration has done. Which is a good thing. They want to show that they have a positive vision for the future and deserve your vote for reasons other than just the removal of Bush. This is why some common democratic rhetoric is absent from this convention. You wont see Al Gore angrily shouting that the 2000 election was stolen from him and that the Bush administration is holding the white house hostage. You wont see Howard Dean discussing how Bush knew about Sept. 11th beforehand. I didn't catch Dean's speech but Im sure he didn't mention this. These are things that the democrats may believe but realize may alianate much of the voting population. Another thing they are trying to portray to the public is that Kerry would be tough on defense and will be able to keep America safe from terrorists. This is why they keep mention his Vietnam record. Im not a fan of Kerry or the current Democratic party, but they are doing the right thing now to gain popularity. That is focusing on themselves rather than trashing the Republicans. This is the way to connect with the American people.
Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Reply 20 of 50 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 03:35:22 PM)

Quoted from Fisher:
How about being positive and attacking a "common enemy".

How can you "be positive" while "attacking" anybody?
Buck Fush
Fisher
INTL Premium Member
jhsdfi;loiha

Fishdick

Reply 21 of 50 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 03:41:06 PM)

Destroying Al Quaeda is a very negative, negative thing. You're right.
Pluveto

Rain Man

Ballkicks: (+164 / -45)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 22 of 50 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 03:47:42 PM)

Yeah, I thought the DNC would massively slow down the T, but the crowds are very bare in the city and I'm getting around even faster than usually.
Pluveto

Rain Man

Ballkicks: (+164 / -45)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 23 of 50 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 03:53:57 PM)

Quote:
Ted Kennedy, who I personally like as a senator, gave a terrible speech. It was both boring and partisan, and I expected more from him.

Why wouldn't it be partisan? Kennedy is one of the only liberals in the Democratic leadership.

Quote:
Edwards made his money off the backs of poor crippled children while putting doctors out of work

...what?

Quote:
"Common Enemy" meaning something the Republicans and Democrats should both want to fight.

In other words, terrorism/religious extremeists, the illegal fucking aliens flooding our borders and wanting to be able to vote in the US elections.

Not all Democrats and Republicans believe that illegal aliens are something to 'fight'.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 24 of 50 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 03:59:58 PM)

Quoted from Fisher:
Destroying Al Quaeda is a very negative, negative thing. You're right.
Hunting legitimate witches isn't negative; it's the hundreds of people mistaken as witches that are hunted that is negative.

edit:
Quoted from Fisher:

Hell, at least they want to vote, which is more than I can say than the 101 million American (49% of the population that were elligible to vote) who didn't vote in the last election.
No.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 2867 | Total Posts: 50 ]