Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Pretension Palace: i don't like that band because you've heard of them > Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: Amphytrite
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 4734 | Total Posts: 48 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Ballkicks: (+611 / -49)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
(Originally posted on: 07-17-04 11:03:13 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I don't get people's reaction to this movie. Many that I've talked to seemed to expect some kind of serious, well-constructed plot that gives a commentary of society and all that crap, when they should've just expected hilarious blatant stupidity. I mean, for christ's sake, it's got Will Farrell, and Steve Carell...not people known for their serious movies. I expected humor like that, and I found it one of the most hilarious movies I've seen in a really long time; it perplexes me how people could think that it sucked if they watched it for the same reason I did.

What did you think of the movie?
Females know I exist. No, seriously:
"the universe in my nuts" - Shady Milkman
"you look totally adorable. definately worthy of leg-humping." - PopRocks
"If I weren't a good girl, I would hump your leg. You look very nice." - Skye
"Aww, you're cute." - Mellie
"You look creepy and you're a nerd." - Sarah
"[The eyebrows] are all sculpted and what not. Latino heat!" - Zippo
"If I were a chick and retarded, I'd sleep with you." - Brad
"You are one high, studly hunk, Soccy Depp!" - Sunny
"Why the fuck am I being quoted here?" - Emp
"I could eat Soccy up with a spoon." - Danielle
"Wow, you're really hot in that first pic. You have the whole dangerous hardass sex appeal going." - Drah
"You needs a big heapin' spoonful of Sergio, he heal you up right!" - Sunny
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-17-04 11:12:05 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I liked it. I laughed hysterically at much of it.

Brick was the best character ever.  The bit at the end where they say he goes on to become one of the Bush administration's senior advisors was brilliant.

One thing I wondered: Early on the male anchors were complaing that they couldn't have a female reporter, and one of their reasons was "I heard they attract bears." So it seems to me there were many jokes to make in reference to that when they were down in the bear pit at the end of the movie. I wonder why they didn't capitalize on that. 

"Extreme Ironing combines the excitement of an extreme sport with the satisfaction of freshly-ironed clothes."
-from 'Extreme Ironing', Wikipedia.org
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Reply 2 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-18-04 12:59:20 AM)

Did you end up seeing the clips in the credits? Hell, those were funnier than the parts they actually had in the movie.

at the party I drank a lava lamp and it wasn't lava 
HeavenGaymes hahaha gay mes
Extrapolation

I move the stars for no one!

Ballkicks: (+84 / -20)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 3 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-18-04 03:47:12 AM)

Best lines in my opinion: Ron's oaths.

"By the beard of Zeus!"
"Great Odin's Raven!"
etc.

Maybe it's just that I'm obsessed with mythology, but I quote those constantly.

I also loved the names they came up with: Brick Tamland? Wes Mantooth?? Pure brilliance.
Sixten Sparre
Épater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 4 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-18-04 09:52:58 AM)

I recently saw secret window, that movie punk'd me.

And anchorman isn't here yet.
Bill
INTL Premium Member

Thanks to id's "Can't see shit!" technology, Doom3 will run great on any computer!

Ballkicks: (+184 / -54)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 5 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-18-04 10:16:14 AM)

San Diego actually means, whale's vagina.
Tyr

I cybered with Kayte

Ballkicks: (+479 / -130)
Reply 6 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-18-04 01:05:36 PM)

Quote:
"Great Odin's Ravens!"

Fixed.

Will Ferrel is hilarious but I'M FRONTIN' once he starts making Nordic mythology mistakes.
Extrapolation

I move the stars for no one!

Ballkicks: (+84 / -20)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 7 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-18-04 01:56:51 PM)

Quoted from Tyr:
Will Ferrel is hilarious but I'M FRONTIN' once he starts making Nordic mythology mistakes.
Yes, but can you recall the ravens' names, and what special ability and purpose they had? Without Googling?

I was also a fan of the trident in the street fight. And the fact that they actually refer to it as a trident.
Pascal
The Alpha Nerd

I love you, but why must you love the law?

Ballkicks: (+419 / -41)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 8 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-18-04 02:12:50 PM)

Eh, I went in expecting dumb comedy and didn't find it all that funny. There were a couple good laughs in there (Tim Robbins as the public television anchor) but I wasn't blown away. So many people on the interweb have been going "OMG one of the funniest movies EVAR!"
Angus

D'oh!

Ballkicks: (+621 / -84)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 9 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-18-04 03:32:39 PM)

I didn't laugh once in the movie and I thought it would end up a disappointment, until the fight scene. After that I think the movie was worth it.
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Reply 10 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-18-04 05:02:23 PM)

Quoted from Extrapolation:
Quoted from Tyr:
Yes, but can you recall the ravens' names, and what special ability and purpose they had? Without Googling?

I was also a fan of the trident in the street fight. And the fact that they actually refer to it as a trident.

That trident thrown at the horsemen had me laughing for at least 2 minutes straight after it happened.

"By the Hammer of Thor!"
"Great Coffee Pot!"
This reply was last edited on 07-18-04 05:12:41 PM by Socrateius.
Sixten Sparre
Épater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 11 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-18-04 05:08:03 PM)

Hugin & Munin
jimmy
Selber Schuld, kein Mitleid

I am really bad at giving custom titles and, well, the internet in general tbqh

Ballkicks: (+506 / -233)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 12 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-18-04 10:26:08 PM)

This movie follows an increasingly disturbing trend in comedies: show all the funny parts in the previews, and then use the rest of the movie to kill time between the good parts that you already saw on television. Welcome to Mooseport over this anyday.
asthetik
I SHOULD READ THE HALL OF REJECTS MORE OFTEN!

making jabs at each other is what the internet is for you fucking idiots. oh, and for stealing things.

Ballkicks: (+333 / -161)
Reply 13 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-18-04 10:52:19 PM)

Jimmy, I think what you're describing is Mars Attacks syndrome.
asthetik - year 04/05

the only difference between a caprice and a life-long passion is that the caprice lasts a little longer
Angus

D'oh!

Ballkicks: (+621 / -84)
Reply 14 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-18-04 10:55:43 PM)

Jimmy is completely right unfortunately.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reply 15 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-18-04 11:18:19 PM)

Mars Attacks was good, dammit!
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Reply 16 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-19-04 12:55:35 AM)

I actually thought the parts in the previews weren't the funniest parts in the movie. The battle, everything Brick did, a lot of it was far more hilarious and weren't in the previews.

Meh.
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 17 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-19-04 07:10:40 AM)

Quoted from Pascal:
Eh, I went in expecting dumb comedy and didn't find it all that funny. There were a couple good laughs in there (Tim Robbins as the public television anchor) but I wasn't blown away. So many people on the interweb have been going "OMG one of the funniest movies EVAR!"

This pretty much sums up what I thought of the movie. The highlights of the movie for me were Brick's/Steve Carell's random comments ( "I pooped a hammer." ) and  the anchorman fight scene in the middle of the film .

They had a potentially good idea, but it didn't seem like they were willing to put enough effort into it to really capitalize on some good laughs, as emtilt noted. This is probably the fault of movie being mainly improvised so there wasn't much material to work with. The impression that I got from Will Ferrell (and the like) was that all he needed to do was show up to get the audience to laugh.

But hell if I know anything. I slept through a good chunk of the movie.
God of Rock, thank you for this chance to kick ass. We are your humble servants. Please give us the power to blow people's minds with our high voltage rock. In your name we pray, Amen.
jimmy
Selber Schuld, kein Mitleid

I am really bad at giving custom titles and, well, the internet in general tbqh

Ballkicks: (+506 / -233)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 18 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-19-04 09:47:18 AM)

Quoted from Smokey:
Mars Attacks was good, dammit!

i'm going to have to agree on this one.
Amiodarone
INTL Premium Member

pronounces name 'ileu'

Ballkicks: (+126 / -46)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 19 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-19-04 10:24:25 AM)

Quoted from Zippo:
The impression that I got from Will Ferrell (and the like) was that all he needed to do was show up to get the audience to laugh.

But hell if I know anything. I slept through a good chunk of the movie.
I think that was the main idea behind it. People would go see it and laugh because he's in it. I didn't find what I saw too funny, but I showed up late, left to get food, and then fooled around for the last quater or so. My favorite parts were basically what everyone has mentioned. I also love the Brick joke at the end.
Lyle

My penis is huge

Ballkicks: (+243 / -48)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 20 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-19-04 10:29:25 AM)

I'm going to see this at the end of this week. I'm really looking forward to it because Will Ferrell is a god.

I'll post my thoughts on it after I see it, but I'm already under the impression that it takes a certain type of humor to enjoy any of his movies.
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 21 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-19-04 11:39:18 AM)

Quote:
Many that I've talked to seemed to expect some kind of serious, well-constructed plot that gives a commentary of society and all that crap, when they should've just expected hilarious blatant stupidity.

omg yah rite fag lol

I can't think of anybody who would expect Anchorman to be a serious commentary on society.

Most people realize that it's a dumb Will Ferrel movie. Which is exactly why I didn't go see it. I could tell by just watching the previews that I was only going to find maybe 1/3rd of the movie funny. The whole "Hey I'm an Anchorman who does funny stuff on air when I don't think I'm on air" routine turned me off completely when I saw it in the previews. Talk about played.
Zippo279: I told IF0 that I had a sex dream about him, but that was a lie.
Zippo279: Because he was in one of those "I'm feeling sorry for myself" moods and I wanted to shut him up.
Mr Pixies
Scuba.

Ballkicks: (+490 / -96)
Reply 22 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-19-04 11:48:41 AM)

I don't want to see this at all, I'm glad it's not secretly a great movie. Will Ferrell has talent, but this be loud and obnoxious humor isn't funny. Same for those Ben Stiller movies, but Dodgeball is said to be really good, so I don't know.

And Mars Attacks is good. Even if you didn't find it funny, it's a good movie about aliens taking over the world.
VAGINIAN

I'm entertained, but I'd rather be enlightened.

Nilbog! It's goblin spelled backwards! This is their kingdom! - Joshua
Purple Haze
INTL Premium Member
[This Space For Rent]

[This Space Is Sold]

Ballkicks: (+60 / -12)
Reg. Date: May 2003
Reply 23 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-19-04 02:43:12 PM)

I thought the movie was great. What made it funny was the rediculous amount of celebrities that they randomly threw in for main parts and brief cameos. The bear pitt in the end was the funniest part of the movie.

I'm riding a furry tractor! 

dog: during my travels, I met one of your kind. His name was Kataw-Jo, and we became friends.
Bear: Katow-Jo is my cousin. Your friends may leave in peace. You will always be a friend of the bears. 
dramamine
INTL Premium Member
<b>Eating Pussy Since 1995</b>

Travelling, swallowing,

Ballkicks: (+286 / -39)
Reg. Date: Oct 2002
Reply 24 of 48 (Originally posted on: 07-19-04 03:00:17 PM)

The only reason I would think of seeing this movie is Christina Applegate. You want to talk funny...she beats Will Ferrell in my book anyday.

note: She doesn't beat him by much but she is hilarious!
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 4734 | Total Posts: 48 ]