Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Pretension Palace: i don't like that band because you've heard of them > INTL Cover Contest? (Idea) > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: Amphytrite
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 5325 | Total Posts: 59 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Pluveto

Rain Man

Ballkicks: (+164 / -45)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 06-08-04 09:54:47 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I was thinking it would be cool if we had a contest where, say, someone named a song to be covered, and then anyone here could make an attempt at covering it, and then we'd vote on which was the best. I think it might be interesting because people make music in a lot of different ways here; electronica, acoustic singer-songwriter style, etc. Dunno.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 1 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-08-04 10:03:26 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

That'd be awesome. I'd be in. I just wish I had something better than a crappy computer mic to record with, so I could record more than an acoustic guitar and singing. Oh, well, though.
"Extreme Ironing combines the excitement of an extreme sport with the satisfaction of freshly-ironed clothes."
-from 'Extreme Ironing', Wikipedia.org
Pluveto

Rain Man

Reply 2 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-08-04 10:09:12 AM)

I'd be in the same predicament. It's ok.
Spiff
!!!

gtfo

Ballkicks: (+258 / -11)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 3 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-08-04 12:11:48 PM)

I've just got FL Studio and a crappy mic, but I'm game. This sounds like a hell of a lot of fun.

Make sure there's a file of the song available, though, if it's one people might not be familiar with.
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 4 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-08-04 04:03:32 PM)

If I get my mic working again, I'd be in.
"Survival of the fittest... and we've got the fucking gun!"-Pi
"I used to be Beaver Cleaver, but now I'm Edith Bunker."-ToTE
Theatre on the Edge
blacksun

dooooooooood I'm like soooooo high

Ballkicks: (+74 / -90)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 5 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-08-04 07:50:06 PM)

i might be down.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 6 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-08-04 08:46:45 PM)

That's a really good idea.
>>a great deal of resentment.
Pluveto

Rain Man

Reply 7 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-08-04 10:28:41 PM)

Well all we really need is for someone authoritative (ice?) to select a song and a timeframe.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 8 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-08-04 10:48:56 PM)

Let's have some suggestions from the people who will be actually participating, and then I'll make a poll to see which one is the most popular.

My suggestion is: Exit Music (For a Film) by Radiohead
emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 9 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-08-04 11:25:13 PM)

I suggest either a Blood Brothers song, a They Might Be Giants song, a Postal Service song, or some old classic.
"Extreme Ironing combines the excitement of an extreme sport with the satisfaction of freshly-ironed clothes."
Pluveto

Rain Man

Reply 10 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-08-04 11:30:32 PM)

I think whatever it is it should be something simple enough that it can be pulled in a number of different directions. I'm not saying it needs to be Mary Had A Little Lamb, but I don't think, for example, Bohemian Rhapsody has massive potential for reinterpretation. Just my two cents.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 11 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-08-04 11:38:07 PM)

Man, Exit Music is really damn hard.

I'm going to withdraw my suggestion.
Pluveto

Rain Man

Reply 12 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-08-04 11:56:48 PM)

Well, there's no reason we can't do it. But maybe we should cut our teeth on something a bit simpler. Man, I hate that expression. It makes me think of actual teeth being cut a little too vividly.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 13 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-09-04 12:12:57 AM)

Well, there sort of is. Like, I can't play Exit Music right now. Maybe I'll be able to in a couple months, but right now I can't.

I wholeheartedly support simpler songs for covering.
Marcher
Background Forummers

I'm jealous of Jesus.

Ballkicks: (+344 / -47)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 14 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-09-04 12:55:22 AM)

Not that I'll be participating, but I suggest you cover Baby One More Time by Britney Spears.

Seriously. Last week at a talent-show type thing, I saw these two guys cover it. They were both playing acoustic guitar and singing their hearts out. It was badass.
Pluveto

Rain Man

Reply 15 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-09-04 01:16:34 AM)

Travis covers that song, too. Though to be honest, I like the idea better than the execution, as much as I like Travis.
johnny
citizens of tttland

Ballkicks: (+34 / -12)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 16 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-09-04 08:32:14 AM)

is singing required? i usually just write music, because i'm not a good singer at all. :/ but i'd probably try putting together a good instrumental cover of whichever song is chosen.
Eeeeeeradicator!
Spiff
!!!

gtfo

Reply 17 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-09-04 05:04:27 PM)

Probably best off to start with something very well known.

I suggest "The House of the Rising Sun."
johnny
citizens of tttland

Ballkicks: (+34 / -12)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 18 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-09-04 08:13:28 PM)

my guitar teacher showed me the chords to House of the Rising Sun at my very first guitar lesson, years ago. i still think it's a fun song to play (probably because of the nostalgia), so i like that suggestion.
Eeeeeeradicator!
emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 19 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-09-04 08:21:24 PM)

Darn, looks like we are gonna be doing something easy. I was thinking the opposite way - take something that we can't perform remotely close to the way it originally was, and then rearrange it. Such as the electronic effects of The Postal Service arranged for acoustic guitar (but in this example we couldn't do "We Will Become Silouhettes" or "Such Great Heights" because there are already widely available versions of those being played on guitars). But whatever, I'm up for playing anything.

And I hope we get some interesting variety in the interpretations of the songs, ie I hope we don't get 10 people all playing it the exact same way.
Spiff
!!!

gtfo

Reply 20 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-10-04 11:08:10 AM)

Something harder and more complex we could work up to later. IMHO, something simple and well known would be better to get the ball rolling. Besides, if there's a simple tune there's more innovative stuff that can be done with it. For example, look at Devo's cover of "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction." They turned a rock standard into something almost unrecognisable and brilliant. The easier something is to work with, the more likely people have more time to innovate and experiment with it, as opposed to just trying to emulate it.

Anyway, that's just my take on it.
Bebop

cups are only really useful for people drinking

Ballkicks: (+219 / -19)
Reg. Date: Oct 2003
Reply 21 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-10-04 11:14:31 AM)

This is a great idea, I'm gonna have so much time on my hands after the 21st of June, so this should be fun.

Although it would be cool to take a really complicated song I really like the idea of messing round and experimenting with a simple tune, like the one mentioned already.
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 22 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-12-04 12:37:39 AM)

I am all for this idea...just gotta get the old Fostex 8-track hooked to my new comp.

A grunge cover of Hit Me Baby One More Time has some serious potential.
"Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet."
-Dave Barry
Pluveto

Rain Man

Reply 23 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-12-04 04:45:29 PM)

Somebody (preferably authoritative) just choose a song and a time frame. Even if it turns out bad, it's better than doing nothing.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 24 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-13-04 05:55:08 PM)

Okay, I never saw this thread. Would it be also be allowed to go at the song a cappella? Becuase I can't play anything that would really assist in covering a song(unless yall wanna hear some badass bass clarinet!!).
I never moved a muscle when you came down.
:The Green Knight

<jota> listening to IF0 is like listening to that hobo begging for crack on the street corner

Shoobies go home.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 5325 | Total Posts: 59 ]