Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Comments, Suggestions & Announcements > I just bought a new dedicated server for INTL. > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: Ztolk
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 5506 | Total Posts: 42 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
(Originally posted on: 04-24-04 12:12:21 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Today starts a new era for INTL, as it will soon be transferred over to a brand new server.

Specifications on the new server are as follows:
Quote:
Server: Super Celeron 2.4 GHz
Primary HDD: 80GB Hard Drive
RAM: 512 MB RAM
Bandwidth: 1000 GB Bandwidth
Uplink Port Speed: 10 Mbps Uplink
I'm not going to bother discussing how much this is going to cost, but it's costing me a pretty penny to set up. However, the monthly fees are only going to be slightly more than I am currently paying with the current host. I don't see that as a problem, considering that I'll also have a hell of a lot more control over the server and I'll be able to go on with some future plans for INTL, which are as follows:

Subdomains: I don't know how many of you would be interested in this, but if you'd like to have your own subdomain at INTL, you'll likely be able to buy one. What is a subdomain, you ask? Well, you'll have your own http://sandamnit.interestingnonetheless.comor http://mrpixies.interestingnonetheless.comaddress for your files. It'll likely be run through a web-interface, since I don't really want to grant people FTP access to the server for fear of someone trying to circumvent sever security by uploading malicious PHP scripts. You'll pretty much have free reign and be able to upload whatever you want, aside from certain restricted file extensions.

Email addresses: Again, not sure how much of a demand there would be for this, but again, if you want your own @interestingnonetheless.com email address, you'll be able to purchase one for something like $10 for six months or $15 for a year or something like that. Not sure about what the price range will be, but it's something that I'd really like to look into for the future.

Both these would likely remain uncapped without quotas, provided they were used intelligently. Once someone starts uploading full DVDs to the server, I may have to implement quotas, but I'd like to not have to do that.

So yeah. Those are my plans for the future. If you come up with any other ideas, I'd like to hear them.

Moving on.

With the transfer, the forums may go down for anywhere from 2-8 hours, depending on how long it takes to transfer the database once the new server is available. According to Kyle, the current server admin, there will be minimal downtime after that, while the interestingnonetheless.com domain traverses the top-level DNS servers and starts pointing to the new server.

Also, just fair warning, once I switch the database over to the new server, any files you upload during the next couple weeks may end up disappearing off the face of the INTERNET, since one moment you may be on the old server and the next moment the DNS kicks in and you're on the new server. So yeah, just keep that in mind.
"if I were a 23-year-old Toledo U. student named jake I bet she'd have snuck out of her house at 2 a.m. to get fingered by me in the middle of a cornfield"
-New Emp in regards to EscalatorToHell
Science Brad
INTL Premium Member
sigh

Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.

Ballkicks: (+288 / -77)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 1 of 42 (Originally posted on: 04-24-04 12:46:49 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Awesome. I like the idea of an e-mail address.
"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science."
-Albert Einstein
"Man is but a reed, the weakest in nature, but he is a thinking reed."
-Blaise Pascal
Lucifer Beowulf Helidon
The Reel RS Krew
MY PAYPAL ACCOUNT IS LUCIFER@ROKBOM.COM

LBH was here... All thats left are the shattered remains of a broken man.

Ballkicks: (+457 / -89)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 2 of 42 (Originally posted on: 04-24-04 01:19:30 AM)

I'd probably buy an email address just for the hell of it.
Public Service Announcement: OLD PEOPLE HAVE SEX
~ RokBom ~
Scruffy - The Janitor
Alcoholics Anonymous
While anarchy can often turn a humdrum weekend into something unforgettable, eventually the mob must be kept from stealing the conch and killing Piggy.

Pimpin is just a haircut and a shave away!

Ballkicks: (+650 / -57)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 3 of 42 (Originally posted on: 04-24-04 02:09:56 AM)

I've always been very enthusiastic about INTL e-mail. I'll definatly get one of those. I may get a subdomain, but I'd have to think of something to actually do with it first.
Full bottle in front of me. Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work, and after many glasses of work I get paid in the brain.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 4 of 42 (Originally posted on: 04-24-04 03:24:52 AM)

I'll probably end up getting an email too.
Pascal
The Alpha Nerd

I love you, but why must you love the law?

Ballkicks: (+419 / -41)
Reply 5 of 42 (Originally posted on: 04-24-04 03:26:10 AM)

Will it be possible for individual e-mail users to configure it to send and receive through Outlook/Thunderbird?
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 6 of 42 (Originally posted on: 04-24-04 03:32:37 AM)

Quoted from Pascal:
Will it be possible for individual e-mail users to configure it to send and receive through Outlook/Thunderbird?
That would be the only way, yes. I'm not going to write a web-based interface for the emails.
"if I were a 23-year-old Toledo U. student named jake I bet she'd have snuck out of her house at 2 a.m. to get fingered by me in the middle of a cornfield"
Pascal
The Alpha Nerd

I love you, but why must you love the law?

Ballkicks: (+419 / -41)
Reply 7 of 42 (Originally posted on: 04-24-04 04:02:40 AM)

HOT.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reply 8 of 42 (Originally posted on: 04-24-04 04:42:09 AM)

Uncapped POP3 and SMTP email for 15$/y is a very good value.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 9 of 42 (Originally posted on: 04-24-04 05:03:52 AM)

Quoted from antpocas:
Uncapped POP3 and SMTP email for 15$/y is a very good value.
Until some asshole abuses it and starts sending 700mb dvdrips through their @intl email address. Thus prompting me to add a quota. Of course, if that were to happen, I'd probably just suspend their account instead of punishing everyone else.
Bill
INTL Premium Member

Thanks to id's "Can't see shit!" technology, Doom3 will run great on any computer!

Ballkicks: (+184 / -54)
Reply 10 of 42 (Originally posted on: 04-24-04 08:44:38 AM)

I'm interested in the subdomain and email address.

Quoted from Sandamnit:

Server: Super Celeron 2.4 GHz
Primary HDD: 80GB Hard Drive
RAM: 512 MB RAM
Bandwidth: 1000 GB Bandwidth
Uplink Port Speed: 10 Mbps Uplink

So hot. Want to touch the heiny. RUFF!
Oh yeah, and FreeBSD pwns Linux's sorry ass. I'd have picked it if it wasn't for the fact that it supports even fewer apps than Linux, and doesn't have a GUI(one that's easy to find, anyway).-King of Suck
so remember kids, hose down your genitals with lysol after un protected sex.-NNY
I'm in Gnome 2.4 right now and exploring like Lewis and Clark. Amazing!!!-Wandering Idiot
mirthalac
INTL Alumni
stan "the single pringle" templeton

Prettiest Red Beard this side of the Canadian Border

Ballkicks: (+301 / -42)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 11 of 42 (Originally posted on: 04-24-04 09:09:25 AM)

how much do i owe you for mirthalac _ @ _ interestingnonetheless.com?
Bobby Crosby's
Home of mid-paced viking metal
OLD SKOOL 4 LIFE KREW
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 12 of 42 (Originally posted on: 04-24-04 09:14:23 AM)

Quoted from mirthalac:
how much do i owe you for mirthalac _ @ _ interestingnonetheless.com?
$87.5 million or one stick of Wrigley's Spearmint Gum and a hug.
NNY
Alcoholics Anonymous
Forum Drunkard

Staying in alone, with my cat.

Ballkicks: (+666 / -76)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 13 of 42 (Originally posted on: 04-24-04 10:27:08 AM)

thats so hot. i love you jeff. i could probably dig a subdomain or email address.
I hate yankees and this is one reason why. Just because you can't pay for 3 hot dogs doesn't mean that the economy is bad and ya'll think that bush is an idiot because he's from Texas. Well f you because he saved your ass from people like Sadam Houssein and don't go thinking i'm just a minupulated trailor trash illiterate for taking up for him because I'm smarter than 90% of the world.

"if you mention john lennon again, i'm hunting you down" -- Drahnier[/w]

Tits are a tease, and fun to squeeze, but babies need them too!

[w]Drink the night away
Joel and Katii get it on
Drinking all night long
Widukind
MARCHINTOCH SI 4 DA FAGZZZZ

M/F? No one knows

Ballkicks: (+126 / -166)
Reg. Date: May 2003
Reply 14 of 42 (Originally posted on: 04-24-04 10:59:25 AM)

Quoted from Sandamnit:
Quoted from Pascal:
That would be the only way, yes. I'm not going to write a web-based interface for the emails.

Why do you insist on writing everything you use?
Bebop

cups are only really useful for people drinking

Ballkicks: (+219 / -19)
Reg. Date: Oct 2003
Reply 15 of 42 (Originally posted on: 04-24-04 11:42:35 AM)

This is really good news. At the moment we can't upload mp3's that are more than 2mb in size, can you or will you be changing this when the new server is set up?
Sixten Sparre
Épater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 16 of 42 (Originally posted on: 04-24-04 12:12:43 PM)

I am so happy for the INTL community, and i hope your happy to :-)
Coca-Cola
INTL Premium Member

MY WIG-WAM WOKS!

Ballkicks: (+503 / -183)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
Reply 17 of 42 (Originally posted on: 04-24-04 02:09:34 PM)

This definitely sounds like it will be a positive phase in the development of INTL. The POP3 / SMTP mail is a good deal too.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 18 of 42 (Originally posted on: 04-24-04 02:55:32 PM)

Quoted from Sir Bebop:
This is really good news. At the moment we can't upload mp3's that are more than 2mb in size, can you or will you be changing this when the new server is set up?

You could, you know, buy more storage space.
mirthalac is fired
Vervet is made admin
Tyr bans himself
Emp protests Vervets adminship
Tazzo bans himself
Salamando bans himself
Vervet locks Emp's protest thread
stew is fired
Nickolati is made moderator
Emp bans himself
Vervet
Anti-wiki

Ballkicks: (+875 / -84)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 19 of 42 (Originally posted on: 04-24-04 02:58:31 PM)

Quoted from ice:
Quoted from Sir Bebop:

As in a premium account? Even those don't allow for files larger than 2mb to be uploaded because of the current server.
Somewhere
Inside something there is a rush of
Greatness
Who knows what stands in front of
Our lives
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 20 of 42 (Originally posted on: 04-24-04 03:10:17 PM)

Well then.

mirthalac is fired
Vervet is made admin
Tyr bans himself
Emp protests Vervets adminship
Tazzo bans himself
Salamando bans himself
Vervet locks Emp's protest thread
stew is fired
Nickolati is made moderator
Emp bans himself
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 21 of 42 (Originally posted on: 04-24-04 07:21:45 PM)

Quoted from Widukind:
Quoted from Sandamnit:
Quoted from Pascal:

Why do you insist on writing everything you use?
Maybe because I'm, you know, like, oh, I dunno, a, uh, programmer and I, uh, am using this site to, uh, display my, well, programming skill.
Quoted from Surt:
I am so happy for the INTL community, and i hope your happy to :-)
Thanks. I do not doubt for one second your absolute, unwaivering sincerity. INTL needs more patron saints like you.
Quoted from Sir Bebop:
Yes, that will be changing. In all reality, I'll probably create some kind of MP3 "hub" based on the server for people to upload MP3s for use in Theater of Sound or whatever. I don't really know yet, but we'll see.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 22 of 42 (Originally posted on: 04-24-04 09:26:19 PM)

Like the Photo Gallery perhaps, but MP3s instead of Photos? Or just like the Files section where only the person who uploaded the MP3 can access it, unless it's linked to?

Would the former be illegal?
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper]"I'm always trying to help people. The problem is they almost never understand my unique brand of help, so they usually end up yelling... or screaming... or burning."
Bebop

cups are only really useful for people drinking

Ballkicks: (+219 / -19)
Reg. Date: Oct 2003
Reply 23 of 42 (Originally posted on: 04-25-04 06:02:24 AM)

Quoted from ice:
Quoted from Sir Bebop:

I did, buy more storage space.
Coca-Cola
INTL Premium Member

MY WIG-WAM WOKS!

Ballkicks: (+503 / -183)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
Reply 24 of 42 (Originally posted on: 04-25-04 09:22:35 AM)

Quoted from British Agent:
Like the Photo Gallery perhaps, but MP3s instead of Photos? Or just like the Files section where only the person who uploaded the MP3 can access it, unless it's linked to?

Would the former be illegal?

Or perhaps INTL could set up an actual hub using Direct Connect / DC++ where forummers could share music and videos locally and therefore A, it would pretty much be legal, and B, it wouldn't cost any server space.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 5506 | Total Posts: 42 ]