Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > ITT, nostalgia. > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 6495 | Total Posts: 68 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Skizzles
INTL Premium Member
Okay, Okay! I take it back. Unfuck you!

I <3 you too.

Ballkicks: (+145 / -59)
Reg. Date: Mar 2004
(Originally posted on: 04-20-04 06:53:05 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I just had a huge nostalgia wave hit me today. I was in Barnes and Nobles, looking around for a C++ book, when I came across the bargain bin. In this little cardboard box were some of the relics of my childhood. We had the Animorphs series, which I read obsessively back in like 5th and 6th grade. We have The Secret World of Alex Mack, my favorite show that I used to watch every day after school. So I felt compelled to come home and write down somewhere all of my favorite TV shows and books or book series that I used to read from 2nd to 7th grade.

TV Shows:

Wild and Crazy Kids: This was perhaps the first reality TV show ever. It was on at 5:30, everyday on Nickelodeon. I thought this show was the absolute most kick ass thing to ever come on to my screen. Kids getting hit by cream pies, getting walloped with water balloons, trying to keep Kool Aid in a container while riding a roller coaster etc.

The Secret World of Alex Mack: Another favorite show of mine on Nickelodeon. This was the show where she was zapped by some weird nuclear rays by some nuclear plant that give her magic abilities, and the evil owners of the nuclear powerplant want to capture her and use her for testing and whatnot. The whole melting into a silver puddle thing, her ability for electricity to come out of her eyes, and the fact that she had a black friend named Raymond who played the saxophone. Yeah.

The World of Richard Scary: This probably predates my second grade era, I was probably watching this in kindergarten. It was that cartoon on Nick Jr. that had the little brown worm flying around in an apple helicopter. The only human in the entire show was the crossing guard, and that always struck me as odd. Anyway, that was simply such a great show, but it was too far back for me to remember much of it other than I used to watch it every morning while eating rice krispies.

Are you Afraid of the Dark?: This show used to scare me shitless back in the day. I spent many a sleepless night regretting that I ever watched that show. I remember a couple of the episodes being really cheesy and stupid, and a couple of them I remember rival Stephen King. I sometimes wonder if some of the stuff they had on that show was appropriate for the 3:30 PM time slot on Nickelodeon, especially that one episode about the Taxi Cab driver who every year would come back on this same road and pick up some un suspecting fool, and then precede to run into a tree on purpose, and I remember that being rather gory and scarring at the time. Also the one with the with the kid who was shoved in a hollow tree trunk and chopped up with an axe, and was missing his finger and would haunt the woods until someone found his finger and returned it to him. Damn those were scary back then, it sounds cheesy and stupid now, but when you're an 8 year old kid with a wild imagination who really was afraid of the dark, damn straight that show accomplished it's goal.

Books:

I read Animorphs obsessivley in 4th-6th grade. I still have stacks of Goosebumps books in my closet, and lots of the Choose Your Own Adventure ones. I read lots of Calvin and Hobbes in 3rd and 4th grade, each year I would re-read the C&H books I had and as my vocabulary and understanding of world issues and philosophies got stronger, they became funnier each year. My parents forced me to read Boxcar children and Hardy boys, good books now that I look back thinking about how I hated listening to someone else read.

So I guess post your own stuff.
Yeah...
Squareknight
I will never be independant

XX_mira_fan_Xx

Ballkicks: (+181 / -100)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 1 of 68 (Originally posted on: 04-20-04 06:55:09 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Ghostwriter. I doubt anyone here remembers that, but I loved that show when I was little. I think there was like a floating ball of gas that wrote clues to mysteries, and a team of racially diverse teens went out and tried to solve the mystery, and put someone in jail.
NNY
Alcoholics Anonymous
Forum Drunkard

Staying in alone, with my cat.

Ballkicks: (+666 / -76)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 2 of 68 (Originally posted on: 04-20-04 07:00:22 PM)

i remember ghostwriter. never saw it, but i remember it.
I hate yankees and this is one reason why. Just because you can't pay for 3 hot dogs doesn't mean that the economy is bad and ya'll think that bush is an idiot because he's from Texas. Well f you because he saved your ass from people like Sadam Houssein and don't go thinking i'm just a minupulated trailor trash illiterate for taking up for him because I'm smarter than 90% of the world.

"if you mention john lennon again, i'm hunting you down" -- Drahnier[/w]

Tits are a tease, and fun to squeeze, but babies need them too!

[w]Drink the night away
Joel and Katii get it on
Drinking all night long
Captain James T. Kirk
Sweaty men? Yes please!

ˇSpanish!

Ballkicks: (+184 / -62)
Reg. Date: Mar 2003
Reply 3 of 68 (Originally posted on: 04-20-04 07:01:23 PM)

Quote:
Ghostwriter. I doubt anyone here remembers that, but I loved that show when I was little.

I don't remember why I liked it, I just did.

I've got to say Wishbone taught me quite a bit about literature. That god damned dog.
<Byc> kita, give troz a rim job
<Trfzt> if youlike the flavor
<Trfzt> rim?
<Byc> he knows what i'm talking about
<kita> urgh.
<Trfzt> give it to me, oh yeah
<kita> no.
<Trfzt> why?
<Trfzt> is it something like eat ass?
Marcher
Background Forummers

I'm jealous of Jesus.

Ballkicks: (+344 / -47)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 4 of 68 (Originally posted on: 04-20-04 07:04:13 PM)

Holy shit, I haven't thought about Ghostwriter in forever. That show was pretty cool.

Man, do you guys remember What Would You Do? The show hosted by Mark Summer, I think, and at the end people would have to pick between going into the pie machine, or do whatever was on the card taped to their head. That was a cool show, I miss it.

Oh, and Goosebump books were completely awesome. Last Summer I read all of my 50+ Goosebump books, and they're still fun.
Yogi
INTL Premium Member
The Hero of Canton

check out my color filters

Ballkicks: (+129 / -58)
Reply 5 of 68 (Originally posted on: 04-20-04 07:05:44 PM)

*High-five* on the Who's afraid of the dark? and Animorphs. I have the fifteen first books plus a few extra books. That's how long it took for me to lose interest.
There seems to just be no one left to bully, Bush is pussy/
Why the fuck you think his name's Bush? Puss is bushy

Skizzles
INTL Premium Member

I <3 you too.

Reply 6 of 68 (Originally posted on: 04-20-04 07:09:13 PM)

Quoted from Marcher:
Holy shit, I haven't thought about Ghostwriter in forever. That show was pretty cool.

Man, do you guys remember What Would You Do? The show hosted by Mark Summer, I think, and at the end people would have to pick between going into the pie machine, or do whatever was on the card taped to their head. That was a cool show, I miss it.

Oh, and Goosebump books were completely awesome. Last Summer I read all of my 50+ Goosebump books, and they're still fun.

Holy shit, What Would You Do!! I had completely forgotten about that show, that was quite awesome. At the end of each show they had to run through some obstacle coursethat was comprised of a bunch of the weird objects, I used to love that.

Does anyone remember the name of that show that was like the kid version of American Gladiator? The kids were always representing their own country, and they competed in sports-like events, and in the end they had to climb up some big fake mountain to get the Glory Rock at the top? That show was fucking awesome.
Yeah...
Marcher
Background Forummers

I'm jealous of Jesus.

Reply 7 of 68 (Originally posted on: 04-20-04 07:11:16 PM)

Quote:
Does anyone remember the name of that show that was like the kid version of American Gladiator? The kids were always representing their own country, and they competed in sports-like events, and in the end they had to climb up some big fake mountain to get the Glory Rock at the top? That show was fucking awesome.

GUTS! Hosted by Mike O'Malley. I loved that show. Wasn't there a hot referee on that show, too?
Yogi
INTL Premium Member
The Hero of Canton

Reply 8 of 68 (Originally posted on: 04-20-04 07:21:15 PM)

Quoted from Skizzles:

Hell yeah.

Bill
INTL Premium Member

Thanks to id's "Can't see shit!" technology, Doom3 will run great on any computer!

Ballkicks: (+184 / -54)
Reply 9 of 68 (Originally posted on: 04-20-04 07:25:06 PM)

Quoted from Skizzles:
Are you Afraid of the Dark?: This show used to scare me shitless back in the day. I spent many a sleepless night regretting that I ever watched that show. I remember a couple of the episodes being really cheesy and stupid, and a couple of them I remember rival Stephen King. I sometimes wonder if some of the stuff they had on that show was appropriate for the 3:30 PM time slot on Nickelodeon, especially that one episode about the Taxi Cab driver who every year would come back on this same road and pick up some un suspecting fool, and then precede to run into a tree on purpose, and I remember that being rather gory and scarring at the time. Also the one with the with the kid who was shoved in a hollow tree trunk and chopped up with an axe, and was missing his finger and would haunt the woods until someone found his finger and returned it to him. Damn those were scary back then, it sounds cheesy and stupid now, but when you're an 8 year old kid with a wild imagination who really was afraid of the dark, damn straight that show accomplished it's goal.

I didn't sleep a full night for weeks after I watched the episode where the girl is killed in a fire when she is trying to put an evil spirit back into "the amulet". And the whole powder on the fire thing...damn man. To be a TV junky again...
Oh yeah, and FreeBSD pwns Linux's sorry ass. I'd have picked it if it wasn't for the fact that it supports even fewer apps than Linux, and doesn't have a GUI(one that's easy to find, anyway).-King of Suck
so remember kids, hose down your genitals with lysol after un protected sex.-NNY
I'm in Gnome 2.4 right now and exploring like Lewis and Clark. Amazing!!!-Wandering Idiot
Marcher
Background Forummers

I'm jealous of Jesus.

Reply 10 of 68 (Originally posted on: 04-20-04 07:26:20 PM)

How about that show "The Legend of the Hidden Temple"? Remember, another show where it started with a bunch of teams of two, and they got eliminated until one was left, and that one pair went through the temple looking for...something? Another classic Nick show.
Bill
INTL Premium Member

Thanks to id's "Can't see shit!" technology, Doom3 will run great on any computer!

Ballkicks: (+184 / -54)
Reply 11 of 68 (Originally posted on: 04-20-04 07:27:32 PM)

Quoted from Marcher:
How about that show "The Legend of the Hidden Temple"? Remember, another show where it started with a bunch of teams of two, and they got eliminated until one was left, and that one pair went through the temple looking for...something? Another classic Nick show.

The talking walk wall that looked like an ancient Mayan statue? + all of the cool things in the end of the obstacle course like assembling the silver monkey and smashing the vases to get a key!
Oh yeah, and FreeBSD pwns Linux's sorry ass. I'd have picked it if it wasn't for the fact that it supports even fewer apps than Linux, and doesn't have a GUI(one that's easy to find, anyway).-King of Suck
so remember kids, hose down your genitals with lysol after un protected sex.-NNY
I'm in Gnome 2.4 right now and exploring like Lewis and Clark. Amazing!!!-Wandering Idiot
Skizzles
INTL Premium Member

I <3 you too.

Reply 12 of 68 (Originally posted on: 04-20-04 07:33:31 PM)

Haha, I remember that! That was the show where the host would always repel from the ceiling at the beginning. When kids were in the temple they'd have to choose from 3 coffins, one of them had some prize in them and the other two had some creepy ass guy who would capture you and drag you back to the start of the temple. I always found it funny how the puzzles and solutions were always the same each episode, yet the kids participating on the show always looked so baffled at how to move on to the next room...
Yeah...
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 13 of 68 (Originally posted on: 04-20-04 07:41:18 PM)

Quoted from Marcher:

I totally loved that show.

What about "Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?"? That show ruled, gumshoes.
mirthalac is fired
Vervet is made admin
Tyr bans himself
Emp protests Vervets adminship
Tazzo bans himself
Salamando bans himself
Vervet locks Emp's protest thread
stew is fired
Nickolati is made moderator
Emp bans himself
Bon

Village Idiot

Ballkicks: (+162 / -84)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 14 of 68 (Originally posted on: 04-20-04 08:03:07 PM)

muppet babies was always my favourite. my favourite episode is where they played monopoly. ohh yeah
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 15 of 68 (Originally posted on: 04-20-04 08:07:08 PM)

Bill Nye the Science Guy.

That is all.
EscalatorToHell

elusive and illustrious

Ballkicks: (+177 / -80)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 16 of 68 (Originally posted on: 04-20-04 08:12:07 PM)

Quoted from Flaming Arrow:

That is all.

Dear jesus yes! I was going to say that, and you beat me to it.

I remember the tectonic plate episode with giant cookies.
Let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 17 of 68 (Originally posted on: 04-20-04 08:14:59 PM)

Quoted from FA:

And his archnemesis Beakman's World.
God of Rock, thank you for this chance to kick ass. We are your humble servants. Please give us the power to blow people's minds with our high voltage rock. In your name we pray, Amen.
Vervet
Anti-wiki

Ballkicks: (+875 / -84)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 18 of 68 (Originally posted on: 04-20-04 08:17:38 PM)

Quoted from Lord Devon:
Ghostwriter. I doubt anyone here remembers that, but I loved that show when I was little. I think there was like a floating ball of gas that wrote clues to mysteries, and a team of racially diverse teens went out and tried to solve the mystery, and put someone in jail.

That was one of my favorite shows ever. They didn't play it enough. At all.

Quote:
Wild and Crazy Kids

I never really liked it. I think the hosts annoyed me.

Quote:

I used to watch that with my best friend Cheryl when I lived in Germany. I'd go there after school, call up my mom and ask if it was alright that I was there (she'd always sigh heavily and then say alright), chase her cat, and flirt with her older brother.

Things remembered:
Wishbone nevermind
The Babysitters Club
Goosebumps: the TV show (don't remember the exact name); I first learned to play Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata on the piano because it was in one of the episodes. It's the one where the kid goes to get piano lessons, and the teacher is always complimenting her hands, and at one point tries to steal them. But the song the ghost that haunts her (the girl getting lessons) house plays is Moonlight Sonata and I thought it was the coolest fucking shit back in '96 or so. It's still a great, great song. Beethoven, now that's something to get nostalgic about. LOL IM SUCH A FAG!!
Somewhere
Inside something there is a rush of
Greatness
Who knows what stands in front of
Our lives
Yogi
INTL Premium Member
The Hero of Canton

Reply 19 of 68 (Originally posted on: 04-20-04 08:55:51 PM)

Quoted from Zippo:
And his archnemesis Beakman's World.

I was wreaking my head trying to remember what that show was called!

Snook
INTL Premium Member

enlightening 6 year olds on the horrors of war

Ballkicks: (+247 / -65)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 20 of 68 (Originally posted on: 04-20-04 09:05:28 PM)

Quoted from Ivan Drago:
Quoted from Skizzles:

I didn't sleep a full night for weeks after I watched the episode where the girl is killed in a fire when she is trying to put an evil spirit back into "the amulet". And the whole powder on the fire thing...damn man. To be a TV junky again...

I was scared of taking a shit after the epsiode with the toilet-monster thing. That thing freaked me out.

Also, I remember GUTS. That was one of the only sports show I ever enjoyed.
Skizzles
INTL Premium Member

I <3 you too.

Reply 21 of 68 (Originally posted on: 04-20-04 09:07:17 PM)

Quote:
I was scared of taking a shit after the epsiode with the toilet-monster thing. That thing freaked me out.

The episode where they're at a cabin somewhere and there's that guy with the plunger and the weird face who died cleaning toilets or something like that? Yea, that was pretty weird...
Yeah...
Mr Pixies
Scuba.

Ballkicks: (+490 / -96)
Reply 22 of 68 (Originally posted on: 04-20-04 09:09:05 PM)

Anyone remember an old kids movie called the Peanut Butter Solution? It's about this kid who gets so scared that he goes bald, and he finds this stuff the Peanut Butter Solution that will cure his baldness. Then he grows a lot of hair, and is then kidnapped by this guy who uses his hair to make magic paintbrushes that when you paint with them, you can go into your paintings. The boy then paints a picture and goes into it to get over his fears or something.
VAGINIAN

I'm entertained, but I'd rather be enlightened.

Nilbog! It's goblin spelled backwards! This is their kingdom! - Joshua
Spiff
!!!

gtfo

Ballkicks: (+258 / -11)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 23 of 68 (Originally posted on: 04-20-04 09:09:52 PM)

What I remember about "Ghostwriter" is that it was only on in the evening on some days. As a kid, I just didn't watch any show which was broadcast later than 5pm, because after that was my time for running around like the little spaz I was. I did see it once, though.

"Calvin and Hobbes" was my bible, so to speak. I had a vocabulary more impressive than anybody in my entire grade school class because of the words I learned from there. Of course, I did get in trouble a lot as well, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

"What would you do?" was all right, but I always liked "Double Dare" better. It just had more continuity.

One of the earliest shows I remember was this cartoon called "Spartakus and the Sun beneath the Sea." It was on at like six am (as a kid I didn't sleep very often) and was about this adventuring hero and these two normal kids who traveled from place to place on what looked kind of like a robotic hovercraft-turtle. They were sometimes pursued by strange dwarvish pirates. I only saw it when I was staying at my granny's house, because at the time she had cable and we didn't. That and "Inspector Gadget."

There was a period of time where I could only watch PBS. From that, I remember "3-2-1-Contact" (a science show) and "Square One TV," (a math show). The latter had this segment called "Mathnet" which must have been my favorite part.

And then there was "Real Ghostbusters" and "Duck Tales." I think I watched those nigh every day in grade school.
Mr Pixies
Scuba.

Ballkicks: (+490 / -96)
Reply 24 of 68 (Originally posted on: 04-20-04 09:13:27 PM)

Quoted from Skizzles:
Quote:

The episode where they're at a cabin somewhere and there's that guy with the plunger and the weird face who died cleaning toilets or something like that? Yea, that was pretty weird...

Zeke the plummer? That was in an episode of Salute Your Shorts,
VAGINIAN

I'm entertained, but I'd rather be enlightened.

Nilbog! It's goblin spelled backwards! This is their kingdom! - Joshua
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 6495 | Total Posts: 68 ]