Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Pretension Palace: i don't like that band because you've heard of them > Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: Amphytrite
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 3899 | Total Posts: 30 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
greenidentity
Disco naps and liquorice Snaps.

It is time for some fine fine wine.....or box wine it's all good man

Ballkicks: (+603 / -81)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
(Originally posted on: 04-09-04 10:14:27 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I'm not sure if this is OK to post here. If not, could someone move it please? Thanks.

I saw this movie a few nights ago and I loved it. Jim Carrey is reminiscent of when he was in the Truman Show (this movie is similar in my opinion becaue it explores the mind more than it explores reality) and Kate Winslet as Clementine is wonderful, she portrays her beautifully. I liked the overall message to the movie, we need to have our good and bad memories and our good and bad times in order to really learn anything in life. It also shows a lot about relationships and how they can go sour and how that happens. I think it is a great love story. It does get strange at times, but it is never so convoluted that you feel completely lost (if you do, you're either old or a complete moron), you always know exactly what is happening. The imagery in the movie is really cool and symbolic. I would recommend anyone to see it, of course it isn't that realistic but movies AREN'T supposed to always be so real. All in all, this movie would be good for anyone to see, it is not too weird, it's not too sappy and corny, it's not vulgar, it's a right mix of everything.
Let's hear what you think of me now,
But baby don't look up,
The sky is falling.
This reply was last edited on 04-09-04 10:23:00 PM by greenidentity.
EscalatorToHell

elusive and illustrious

Ballkicks: (+177 / -80)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 1 of 30 (Originally posted on: 04-09-04 10:19:35 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I think Charlie Kaufamn is an absolute genius, and that all of his films thus far have been works of art. This movie did not disappoint me at all; in fact, I plan on seeing it again soon with a good friend of mine.

I'm very partial to this type of screenplay- the convoluted unravelling sort. Fuck linear storylines.
greenidentity

Reply 2 of 30 (Originally posted on: 04-09-04 10:25:04 PM)

[NOT a spolier]
I especially liked the house at the end, it started falling apart slowly, and the way she was peeking around from the stairs at him talking, it was just so fitting to that particular phase in the movie.
[/NOT a spoiler]
But baby don't look up,
The sky is falling.
EscalatorToHell

elusive and illustrious

Reply 3 of 30 (Originally posted on: 04-09-04 10:34:53 PM)

Quoted from greenidentity:
[NOT a spolier]
I especially liked the house at the end, it started falling apart slowly, and the way she was peeking around from the stairs at him talking, it was just so fitting to that particular phase in the movie.
[/NOT a spoiler]

The special effect stuff during his memories was neat the whole way through. With people slipping away, etc.
But yes, the house part was very symbolic (and neat).
Pascal
The Alpha Nerd

I love you, but why must you love the law?

Ballkicks: (+419 / -41)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 4 of 30 (Originally posted on: 04-10-04 01:21:58 AM)

His best performance yet by a long shot.

Excellent movie.
Wandering Idiot
INTL Premium Member

Surely something dumber has come up since my apparent forgetfulness for STDs and doctor visits.

Ballkicks: (+257 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 5 of 30 (Originally posted on: 04-10-04 04:07:01 AM)

Damnit, I'm getting this movie as we speak. I've been dying to see this. It's by the same company that did Lost In Translation, 21 Grams, and a few others (all good movies in their own rights). Tell me the truth, is it as good as it's all hyped up to be?

Bagook Is Dead.
Magus

Benze and I should have a sad-off

Ballkicks: (+77 / -47)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 6 of 30 (Originally posted on: 04-10-04 04:08:41 AM)

I really want to see this movie, but as usual my parents refuse to let me go watch it. I've heard it has good stuff, and it seems Jim Carrey (from commercials and trailers) delivers it well, too.

... Can't wait for September to come.
- On Hiatus -
Extrapolation

I move the stars for no one!

Ballkicks: (+84 / -20)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 7 of 30 (Originally posted on: 04-10-04 12:27:39 PM)

Quoted from EscalatorToHell:
I'm very partial to this type of screenplay- the convoluted unravelling sort. Fuck linear storylines.
Yes. This is one of my favorite aspects of this film, actually.

To be honest, I'd been obsessed with Eternal Sunshine since months before it came out. I'd been telling everyone to watch the trailer, and go see it when it was released. Then when we saw it, all the guys I live with (most of whom are film majors like myself) would talk about every aspect of it, late into the night, for weeks.

So when I hear people talking about this film, it's almost like they're talking about a film I made; it's such a personal piece of art to me, not only because of my involvement with hyping it, but because it turned out to be one of my all-time favorite movies.

Carray and Winslet pull of Kaufman characters perfectly. Gondry is ideal for pulling together the visual aspects of the story, being a music video director and all. Other things grab me too: the incredible soundtrack (that Beck song at the end ends up in my CD player during my commute every day now), Clementine's orange hoodie (those kind of sweatshirts have been an inexplicable turn-on of mine for years), that "hold on to this moment" philosophy that was so beautiful, the close-to-home portrayal of what it feels like when you first meet a girl you like...all of it just came together for me. Glad to hear other people are fans as well.
Vervet
Anti-wiki

Ballkicks: (+875 / -84)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 8 of 30 (Originally posted on: 04-10-04 12:51:21 PM)

There are so many nuances to adore about this film. Jim Carrey played a role diametric to his "lol I'm jim carrey" personality excellently. He was as sad and lonely as any genuine emo kid. Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure the director decided to cast him for a "serious" loner role to kind of play with the audience's perception of characters.

Another thing I noticed was that the sound cues were really sharp. When Clementine and Joel were first talking on the train, the sound cues changed vascillated from playful to angry (IIRC) fairly abruptly. Later, I remember really doleful music playing in Joel's car around the time the opening credits rolled that stopped when he took a cassette out. Probably part of the same manipulation with perception, though I could be wrong with this one.

Amazing movie, but not as emo as Donnie Darko and Butterfly Effect. :/ (needs more gary jules and oasis pls)

[this was emp]
Quote:
I also liked this movie a lot because I think Clementine si a lot like me.

but... clementine wasn't grossly obese

\/\/\/\/\/\/
Somewhere
Inside something there is a rush of
Greatness
Who knows what stands in front of
Our lives

This reply was last edited on 04-10-04 02:50:42 PM by Vervet.
greenidentity

Reply 9 of 30 (Originally posted on: 04-10-04 01:00:30 PM)

I also liked this movie a lot because I think Clementine si a lot like me. So maybe the fact I could relate to it made it as a whole, a better movie in my eyes.
But baby don't look up,
The sky is falling.
PR
INTL Alumni
oh

Bassists never get no love, man.

Ballkicks: (+486 / -101)
Reply 10 of 30 (Originally posted on: 04-10-04 01:35:09 PM)

This movie looks far too pretentious to be enjoyable.
greenidentity

Reply 11 of 30 (Originally posted on: 04-10-04 02:35:00 PM)

I didn't think it was pretentious at all. It's a good movie and it does it's job well, that's all. It's not some hoighty toighty stuck up movie at all, by far. If anything, it explores the reality of relationships than anything, and it is a sentimental movie but it's not so sappy you want to vomit, I wouldn't like it if it was that bad, or pretentious.
But baby don't look up,
The sky is falling.
EscalatorToHell

elusive and illustrious

Reply 12 of 30 (Originally posted on: 04-10-04 02:39:00 PM)

Quoted from PsychoRabbit:

Kaufman, by nature, doesn't churn out pretentious films.
It is only prudent never to place complete confidence in that by which we have even once been deceived. -Rene Descartes
Pascal
The Alpha Nerd

I love you, but why must you love the law?

Ballkicks: (+419 / -41)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 13 of 30 (Originally posted on: 04-10-04 02:40:25 PM)

The only reason anyone could say it's pretentious because it's not linear. And if that is all it takes, than pretentious means jack shit.

Oh yeah, that's right. Pretentious DOESN'T mean shit.
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reply 14 of 30 (Originally posted on: 04-10-04 04:25:38 PM)

- HOLY FUCK I was so waiting for someone to bring this up. I loved the original screenplay (Huge Charlie Kaufman fan), I loved the casting, the directing (Michel fan as well), the sound (ELO's song Mr. Blue Sky is constantly played on my computer}, and just the movie itself was incredible.
- I knew about the film for little under a year of its first teaser release. Read the screenplay, was litterally crying at the end, it was just so revoltingly emotional. The bad thing that hit me was when I saw the movie and they COMPLETELY CHANGED THE BEGINNING AND ENDING. I was like, wtf ? It was still good and had a subtext but it was completely changed.
- Over all this is Kaufmans best screenplay to date, Gondrys best film to date, and it will always be on my top 5 of all time.
---
But enough of me babbing about how I liked it, let me ask some questions for those of you who saw it.

- Is it just me or does ever single Kaufman movie have some guy mastrubating in it somewhere ? (a funny observation)

- When Joel (Jimmy Carrey) was gettign his memory erased, dont you think he wouldve smelt the weed ?

- Did anyone else think Elijah Woods did an excellent job playing the role of Patrick ? I though he fit into those shoes very well.
---
and enough with my questions. Ill shut up now...
EscalatorToHell

elusive and illustrious

Reply 15 of 30 (Originally posted on: 04-10-04 04:34:10 PM)

Quoted from goatstack:
- Is it just me or does ever single Kaufman movie have some guy mastrubating in it somewhere ? (a funny observation)

Heh, I think so. It adds a bit of humor to his otherwise bleak writing.
It is only prudent never to place complete confidence in that by which we have even once been deceived. -Rene Descartes
Extrapolation

I move the stars for no one!

Ballkicks: (+84 / -20)
Reply 16 of 30 (Originally posted on: 04-10-04 05:39:56 PM)

Quoted from goatstack:
I loved the original screenplay (Huge Charlie Kaufman fan
Screenwriting nerds unite!

One of these days I'd love to start a "Favorite Screenwriters and Directors" thread, except I don't know how many film addicts we have. I guess I've seen some knowledgeable commentary from a few people, but I don't really know if it would have mass appeal.

In regard to what Escalator just said, I think one of Kaufman's great skills is taking horribly depressing stories that would normally make pretentious, tragic art films, and finding the human emotion, humor, and in this case, romance, in them. It's what I love about him.
EscalatorToHell

elusive and illustrious

Reply 17 of 30 (Originally posted on: 04-10-04 05:53:35 PM)

Quoted from Extrapolation:
In regard to what Escalator just said, I think one of Kaufman's great skills is taking horribly depressing stories that would normally make pretentious, tragic art films, and finding the human emotion, humor, and in this case, romance, in them. It's what I love about him.

Aside from his obvious genius in regard to how he puts stories together, I love how brutally honest and unforgiving the stories tend to be. There's no aspect of human emotion that he won't explore head first.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 18 of 30 (Originally posted on: 04-11-04 09:04:59 AM)

Quoted from PsychoRabbit:
Good ol' reliable Mike.

I'm about to watch this movie in a few minutes whenever Wandering Idiot gets back from getting his haircut, since I just finished downloading it and burning it.
"if I were a 23-year-old Toledo U. student named jake I bet she'd have snuck out of her house at 2 a.m. to get fingered by me in the middle of a cornfield"
-New Emp in regards to EscalatorToHell
Wandering Idiot
INTL Premium Member

Surely something dumber has come up since my apparent forgetfulness for STDs and doctor visits.

Ballkicks: (+257 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 19 of 30 (Originally posted on: 04-11-04 11:26:25 AM)

Goddamn was that worth watching. Even the grainy quality was worth enduring for the simple twistedness of the film. Definitely buying this movie when it hits DVD.

Bagook Is Dead.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 20 of 30 (Originally posted on: 11-28-04 11:52:59 PM)

So I finally watched this movie. I ordered it on ppv with a double feature of Spotless Mind and Being John Malcovich. Awesome movie, especially the childhood memories and the fact that Jim Carrey didn't go over the top at all while still being pretty funny.

Blue velvet is on this thing too for only 2 bucks so I'm going to check that out too. Lynch and Kaufman are probably my favorite film makers but for some reason I waited around to see this. Adaptation too. Kaufmans name was given to a character in Silent Hill and Lynch got a street so you can see how I'd be into this.

I looked up something and it looks like Kaufman and Jonze are doing a horror film. With his track record I'm excited because films just aren't scary anymore, so hopefully this does well. "Details are scarce on this project, a horror film to be directed by Spike Jonze and written by Charlie Kaufman. The duo was behind the critically lauded 2002 film Adaptation."
This reply was last edited on 11-28-04 11:58:02 PM by Smokey.
Mr Pixies
Scuba.

Ballkicks: (+490 / -96)
Reply 21 of 30 (Originally posted on: 11-29-04 09:25:59 PM)

I tried watching this with my family on Thanksgiving, but they were confused, and my dad suggested watching something else. So I put on Welcome to the Dollhouse. They didn't seem to like that at all, but oh well. I haven't seen all the Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind yet, so I still have to see it.
VAGINIAN

I'm entertained, but I'd rather be enlightened.

Nilbog! It's goblin spelled backwards! This is their kingdom! - Joshua

Grow the fuck up, this is the goddamn internet. - Menion
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 22 of 30 (Originally posted on: 11-30-04 06:07:31 PM)

I watched this about a week ago, and I have to give it credit as being an excellent film.

Kaufman worked his magic once again.
"I went to Blowjob, Massachusetts, and all I got was this lousy t-shirt...and a blowjob."
-The Daily Show
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 23 of 30 (Originally posted on: 11-30-04 10:13:28 PM)

I liked it so much I went out and bought the DVD. I like the features. Every now and then there's a classic movie amongst a mountain of stupid shit, I'm glad for that.
greenidentity

Reply 24 of 30 (Originally posted on: 12-01-04 04:29:45 AM)

You and I like the same movie Smokey, I'll bet you wanna kill yourself LOL IM SUCH A FAG!!
You can fake it for the papers
but I'm on to you.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3899 | Total Posts: 30 ]