Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Linux Corner: computers for something other than windows? WHAT > Dungeon Siege > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 6088 | Total Posts: 35 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
TheShadowDawn
Cautiously optimistic

Draggy

Ballkicks: (+82 / -11)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
(Originally posted on: 04-01-02 11:20:17 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

This game will no doubt rock. A lot.

I hear Sandamnit and some other HG staff got advance copies of the game. For which I am greatly embittered, but I won't hold it against you.

Anyway, back to the point. This is for those of you out there foolish enough to not already have heard of this game and begun salivating contantly when the words 'Dungeon Siege' are mentioned as a result. If you are one of those people, you WILL read to the end of the page, or I will come and eat your children. Or failing that, pets.

http://www.microsoft.com/Games/dungeonsiege/images/screenshots_small_1.gif

Basically, think Baldur's Gate meets Diablo. You command a party of up to 8 characters, but the skill and character development is extremely simplistic, and the gameplay doesn't involve too much rethinking of strategy. The game's designed so that you are constantly forward, not rethinking tactics, having to jab the reload key multiple times. Not to say that the game will be without challenge, mind you.

http://www.microsoft.com/Games/dungeonsiege/images/screenshots_small_2.gif

Graphics wise, the game incorporates a full 3D universe, which from the wide variety of movies and screenshots you can get a look at, wipe the floor with current RPG's. The game engine has the unique perk that you never see a loading screen in the entire time you're playing, so the entire universe is seamless. Going downstairs, the floor above you vanishes. Go into a building, the roof becomes transparent.

The screens I've inserted here are actually older ones, the newer screenshots that have cropped up recently many look a lot nicer...but I'm too lazy to look anywhere by PlanetDS and DSH, and both block external linking of pictures. Fascist bastards.

http://www.microsoft.com/Games/dungeonsiege/images/screenshots_small_24.gif

The skills system is fairly simple. Basically the more you use something, the better you get at it. Constant use of a bow will level you up in ranged combat really fast, but dividng your attention evenly between nature magic, combat magic and melee combat will have you advance a lot slower, but more proficient in the three things. Basically there's no ruleset to follow. The idea at first said "Hmm, simplistic and designed to appeal to the mind of the average dialo playing idiot" but the concept the more I hear of it is more and more practical.

http://www.microsoft.com/Games/dungeonsiege/images/screenshots_small_17.gif

You can also hire a Packmule [or two, or three] as one of your 8 characters...the Packmule carries three times what a regular character does...and while the game has been arranged so it's not necessary to take one, it's great for all the kleptomaniacs out there. [Like me]

The music for Dungeon Siege is being composed by Jeremy Soule, the guy who did the music for Total Annihilation, Icewind Dale and the Harry Potter movie. [Bleh to the last one.] I've actually gotten hold of a few samples of the music in Dungeon Siege, and it sounds spectacular. Hell, half the reason I'm buying the game is because Jeremy Soule is doing the music. i'm a serial-killer :) The music is all on the CD in mp3 format, incidentally, so you can just copy it off if you want to listen to it, instead of having to make three format changes like I had to with the IWD soundtrack...stupid acm format....

http://www.microsoft.com/Games/dungeonsiege/images/screenshots_small_9.gif

Gas Powered Games [the developers] are also going to release the 'Siege Editor' which is basically what they used to build the game. Already bunches of design teams are lining up and planning out custom campaigns, so a lot of replayability should appear in the form of custom campaigns. gmax is also being packaged with Dungeon Siege and will allow full graphics modding.

Basically a lot of people are going to produce some very interesting custom content. Sure, you'll get a lot of middling to crap custom content as well, but you can't have everything.

http://www.microsoft.com/Games/dungeonsiege/images/screenshots_small_7.gif

Dungeon Siege is released in the USA on the 5th of April. [The days are ticking away] The release date varies for other countries, the latest being here *sniff* in Australia, on the 22nd. I haven't heard any word on non-english versions of the game.

Final note is the first review of Dungeon Siege came out today from a canadian site. It gave it 92%. I'm hoping they're not far off how great a game it is. i'm a serial-killer :)

Dungeon Siege Links:

Dungeon Siege Heaven
Planet Dungeon Siege
Official Dungeon Siege site

http://www.microsoft.com/Games/dungeonsiege/images/screenshots_small_15.gif

Dungeon Siege movies (for those of you on higher connections, have a look at these, they'll sell you for sure. i'm a serial-killer :))

Dungeon Siege Heaven - one movie of the game intro, one of general gameplay.
Gamespy Ultraean Peninsula video - awesome video, runs about two minutes

You can find links to more movies at PlanetDungeonSiege and DSHeaven. i'm a serial-killer :)
This reply was last edited on 05-28-02 07:00:21 AM by boutitben.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 1 of 35 (Originally posted on: 04-01-02 11:29:30 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Nice preview.

Yes, I did infact get an advanced copy, which kicks much ass. Much ass. So much ass, it would take you about a week and a half just to kick two-thirds of it.

This game is better than sex and Goldfish crackers combined, raised to the fifth power. I'm telling you. This game is friggin' awesome.

I haven't had time within the last two days to play it, because I've been focusing on this forum, but I've already advanced to the 4th Chapter. The dungeons are huge, immersive and aesthetically pleasing.

Now, I don't have the greatest computer in the world, so I had to dumb down the graphics a bit, but damn, it still looks completely amazing with low/medium graphic settings.

In my other thread, I posted some screenshots, which I will repost. They aren't the best screenshots to ever exist, but they are the best I could do. I have a few more saved on my computer, which I would JPEG and upload. In due time.

Here are the other screens, in case you missed them.

I'm telling you.

Dungeon Siege > (Sex + Goldfish crackers) ^ 5
"Some people turn to drugs such as heroin or cocaine for their brain-wasting, body-killing, soul-destroying effects. Others turn to religion for its brain-wasting, body-killing, soul-destroying effects."
- Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka, Something Awful
Woadie

Communism works in principle, and so do I

Ballkicks: (+52 / -11)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 2 of 35 (Originally posted on: 04-01-02 11:35:05 PM)

The Cheese goldfish or the pretzle ones?

I would get this game but RPG's ruin my life.
And through the window in the wall
Comes streaming in on sunlight wings
A million bright ambassadors of morning - Pink Floyd
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 3 of 35 (Originally posted on: 04-02-02 02:52:41 AM)

What's up with Screenshot 5? It looks like they're fighting a totem pole with a giant vagina on top.
Woadie

Communism works in principle, and so do I

Ballkicks: (+52 / -11)
Reply 4 of 35 (Originally posted on: 04-02-02 03:01:43 AM)

OMFB it does
And through the window in the wall
Comes streaming in on sunlight wings
A million bright ambassadors of morning - Pink Floyd
TheShadowDawn
Cautiously optimistic

Draggy

Ballkicks: (+82 / -11)
Reply 5 of 35 (Originally posted on: 04-02-02 03:04:12 AM)

That is a really disturbing creature...made only worse by the similie used to describe it.
boutitben
INTL Premium Member
Captain Naked Santa

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+186 / -18)
Reply 6 of 35 (Originally posted on: 04-02-02 10:07:04 AM)

LOL, that's just funny...

Interesting read, BTW...
yay?
PR
INTL Alumni
oh

Bassists never get no love, man.

Ballkicks: (+486 / -101)
Reply 7 of 35 (Originally posted on: 04-02-02 02:09:43 PM)

I'll probably buy it and go straight to multi-player.
Zealotry from Rome to Mecca, millions more become infected - God cannot be mass projected, or beaten out through forced confession. It's for all of us to ponder, not for dogma's chain to hold us down. Wake up and put the past where it belongs - Dying Fetus
Tyr

I cybered with Kayte

Ballkicks: (+479 / -130)
Reply 8 of 35 (Originally posted on: 04-05-02 08:45:31 AM)

God damn, I hate all of you. I want to buy that game very badly, but for some reason no installation programs on my shitty computer will work. God damn, GOD DAMN, GOD DAMN!!!

To the victor goes the spoils, To the spoils goes the splendor, but splendor spoils victors.
PR
INTL Alumni
oh

Reply 9 of 35 (Originally posted on: 04-05-02 09:19:41 AM)

You should download several new computers.
Zealotry from Rome to Mecca, millions more become infected - God cannot be mass projected, or beaten out through forced confession. It's for all of us to ponder, not for dogma's chain to hold us down. Wake up and put the past where it belongs - Dying Fetus
Tyr

I cybered with Kayte

Ballkicks: (+479 / -130)
Reply 10 of 35 (Originally posted on: 04-05-02 01:58:13 PM)

I should, I should.
To the victor goes the spoils, To the spoils goes the splendor, but splendor spoils victors.
boutitben
INTL Premium Member
Captain Naked Santa

LBH was here.

Reply 11 of 35 (Originally posted on: 04-05-02 07:14:58 PM)

Can you give me a link to where I can download a computer, PR?
Got no religion, don't need no friends
Got all I want and I don't need to pretend
Don't try to reach me, 'cause I'd tear up your mind
I've seen the future and I've left it behind
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Reply 12 of 35 (Originally posted on: 04-06-02 04:23:09 AM)

http://www.freestuff.com
PR
INTL Alumni
oh

Reply 13 of 35 (Originally posted on: 04-06-02 05:44:04 PM)

Pokemon Man says www.aol.com has them.

I trust him.
boutitben
INTL Premium Member
Captain Naked Santa

LBH was here.

Reply 14 of 35 (Originally posted on: 04-06-02 06:12:11 PM)

Pokemon is a lying sack of yellow shit.

Thanks, FA.
Got no religion, don't need no friends
Got all I want and I don't need to pretend
Don't try to reach me, 'cause I'd tear up your mind
I've seen the future and I've left it behind
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Reply 15 of 35 (Originally posted on: 04-07-02 05:53:26 AM)

http://www.gasthosejews.gov
Magus

Benze and I should have a sad-off

Ballkicks: (+77 / -47)
Reply 16 of 35 (Originally posted on: 04-08-02 07:36:19 PM)

I am going to get Dungeon Siege as quick as I can...
*is Greek, nonetheless*
boutitben
INTL Premium Member
Captain Naked Santa

LBH was here.

Reply 17 of 35 (Originally posted on: 04-08-02 08:02:38 PM)

I am now glad I didn't actually click the link, now that I hover the mouse cursor over it.

Anyway, how has Dungeon Siege been going for you, Sandy?

My brother got it and played almost 15 hours in two days.
yay...?
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Reply 18 of 35 (Originally posted on: 04-14-02 04:51:04 PM)

I've got it.

IT OWNS! OWNS ME WITH VEHEMENT!!

BUY IT!!
Rolando
Topo Gigio

Ballkicks: (+26 / -25)
Reply 19 of 35 (Originally posted on: 05-03-02 07:19:40 PM)

Quote:
What's up with Screenshot 5? It looks like they're fighting a totem pole with a giant vagina on top.

ROFL!

anyway....i got the game today and it's fucking great, the multiplayer rules too.
neo222
AM I ANNOYING YET?

Ballkicks: (+9 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 20 of 35 (Originally posted on: 05-08-02 01:58:13 PM)

http://www.someplacesomewhere.com/uploaded/neo222/Dungeon%20Siege%20Screen%20-%200002.bmp

here's a screen shot for you (I took it myself). Ds is a great game and the siege editor lets you make your own mods.

(sorry it is in bmp format)

edit: Way over 100k. 900k, in fact.
--Mr. Tit

Warning this sig contians spoilers to The Two Towers:

"Where is horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blown? They have passed like rain in the mountains, like wind in the meddows."

"There is nothing we can do. The quest will claim his life"
This reply was last edited on 05-08-02 06:34:15 PM by boutitben.
MeatLoafX

Ballkicks: (+9 / -3)
Reply 21 of 35 (Originally posted on: 05-10-02 12:07:20 PM)

I've been playing DS for the past 2 days and it is fun. While the game is quite linear, I don't mind - it beats wandering around a dungeon for 5 hours.

The graphics are great and I really want to try MP. The Editor looks awesome, too... can't wait!
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 22 of 35 (Originally posted on: 05-10-02 10:41:39 PM)

I just got it. Man that is time consuming.
http://www.interestingnonetheless.com/signature.php
FISHMANPET

Fishmanpet, son of Manbearpig and Girlfishpet

Ballkicks: (+102 / -63)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 23 of 35 (Originally posted on: 05-12-02 07:39:09 PM)

I saw the game, and I didn't think much of it because I've never really played an RPG. But I downloaded the demo, and it was amazing. When I get the money I think I'm gonna buy it.
MeatLoafX

Ballkicks: (+9 / -3)
Reply 24 of 35 (Originally posted on: 05-12-02 07:52:05 PM)

It's more of an action RPG. I never played Diablo, but I heard it's a similar playing style. I like that there's never a loading screen and the world looks so nice.

Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 6088 | Total Posts: 35 ]