Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Linux Corner: computers for something other than windows? WHAT > Linux Beginners Thread > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 ] [ Thread Views: 2779 | Total Posts: 20 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
(Originally posted on: 02-07-11 03:42:02 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I've only really been learning linux for like 4 days, because I need it for the data center I'm working in...well they pay me, but you could almost call it an internship at this stage of it. I'm that new.

Anyway, I have an issue:

I wanted to switch shells...just because I learned how and wanted to play with them. Obviously I'm using bash by default. So cat /etc/shells brought up a list of shells. cshell was in the list. I tried typing cshell into the terminal and nothing happened. I navigated to /bin and looked for cshell. It was there. I thought it might be an issue with $PATH, which had previously been the case for executing ifconfig, so to confirm I just tried to activate while in that directory and still nothing happened. So wtf?

This is on the latest version of CentOS, which is the most common linux distro at the NOC.
Sex
Run Silent Run Drapes
Administrator
Eiffle Towers: 6969

someone bitter is after my ass

Ballkicks: (+562 / -30)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 1 of 20 (Originally posted on: 02-07-11 08:42:17 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

You sure you aren't actually in the shell? Linux rarely confirms when something goes according plan. It usually only throws a message when there's an error.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Reply 2 of 20 (Originally posted on: 02-07-11 05:24:49 PM)

I made sure to echo $SHELL and it's still /bin/bash regardless of which shell I attempt to switch to. Namely csh. I don't really have a use for switching, and it could just be a shabby install through vmware, I guess. But permissions are fine and all the shell files are there, apart from an actual error I'm nowhere near equipped to solve...no clue.

Just noticed tcsh, but that doesn't matter.

Also after almost 20 straight hours of learning the OS, I made my first linux joke.

I have so much caffeine pumping through me right now, I might not live to learn this OS.
Sex
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Reply 3 of 20 (Originally posted on: 02-08-11 09:13:00 PM)

Actually I had a similar issue with useradd. Looks like only the man page is actually there. Is there a way just to install these commands to linux without having to reinstall the entire system?
Sex
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Reply 4 of 20 (Originally posted on: 02-17-11 12:58:11 PM)

I remember when these forums worked when I needed to pop in casually to ask questions without ever really participating in the community.

For other newbies who may find this in the years to come:

http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/

It has helped me a lot. People are a bit impressed talking to me and realizing how much I know after working here for less than a month, and it's largely due to that site. Probably useful to more than just beginners as well.
Sex
Shadowe

I kinda want to see that up someone's ass

Ballkicks: (+90 / -84)
Reg. Date: Dec 2004
Reply 5 of 20 (Originally posted on: 02-18-11 01:14:16 AM)

I've gotten help in the various linux channels on freenode before, and again today when I was having a little adventure trying to create a launcher (desktop shotcut) for opening a standing SSH connection to my private SSH server (courtesy of cygwin) so I can use Sock5 in firefox on my laptop.
Hanlon's Razor: Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Reply 6 of 20 (Originally posted on: 02-20-11 02:15:56 AM)

Responding to thread using Lynx for no reason other than being really bored at work.

Edit: Yay!
Sex
Run Silent Run Drapes
Administrator

Reply 7 of 20 (Originally posted on: 02-24-11 01:48:38 PM)

i hate scrolling in lynx.
Shadowe

Reply 8 of 20 (Originally posted on: 02-25-11 12:57:17 AM)

Well SSH is pissing me off again. I tried to SSH in while on campus earlier and despite it working fine at home the day before I suddenly got the Man In The Middle warning and, when I killed the file behind that to force it to accept the connection I wound up getting my password (which I know is the right one, and typed properly) refused for no reason.
Run Silent Run Drapes
Administrator

Reply 9 of 20 (Originally posted on: 02-25-11 08:17:14 AM)

I wonder if the switch is dropping the packets. Have you SSH'd from campus before?
Shadowe

Reply 10 of 20 (Originally posted on: 02-26-11 12:02:03 AM)

Nope, although that was the entire point of setting this up. I'm going to try it at home again see if I can make it work here...
Run Silent Run Drapes
Administrator

Reply 11 of 20 (Originally posted on: 02-28-11 10:56:16 AM)

Yeah they could be blocking the port for some reason.

Or it could be even dropping encrypted packets. I know if I were running a university campus network I'd be pretty wary of encrypted traffic.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Reply 12 of 20 (Originally posted on: 03-13-11 06:13:29 AM)

Did you try ssh from a different port?

I've been working with linux for a little over a month and they've got me bash shell scripting.

I kind of want to blow my face off some days.
Sex
Shadowe

Reply 13 of 20 (Originally posted on: 03-14-11 02:13:14 AM)

No and no to both of those, I've spoken with some people from the inside and they don't actually mess with SSH traffic on 22. Probably some kind of fuckup between cygwin, my router (which has built in DynDNS support), Dyndns, and my laptop running ubuntu.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Reply 14 of 20 (Originally posted on: 03-26-11 12:37:28 AM)

I'm getting a little pissed off by the lack of coherent texts out there for pretty much everything. One one end I'm trying to set my VPS at work up with everything I need to host a website on it. I'm making it a little harder on myself by trying to install everything from source (gave up on apache, but MySQL wasn't so hard) and on the other end I'm learning Bash shell scripting, which I currently have no practical use for.

Whenever I finally pick up on something, it's really not so bad, the hardest part seems to be sifting through needlessly complex instructions and tutorials that are supposed to be teaching me shit, even when they assume you have 0 linux experience. I've learned more from youtube videos and just fucking around than any documentation.

I'm also tearing holes through Linux network administration texts at the same time as all this, so I'm overloaded enough without having to stop on the current document I'm looking at so I can jump through a billion others just so I can understand what the one just said. Does anybody both use Linux and have a life, because I feel like that person would be a good teacher.
Sex
Shadowe

Reply 15 of 20 (Originally posted on: 03-26-11 09:38:00 PM)

There's a reason they call this shit the Deep Magic.
Run Silent Run Drapes
Administrator

Reply 16 of 20 (Originally posted on: 03-27-11 08:52:23 AM)

Quoted from Smokey:
I'm getting a little pissed off by the lack of coherent texts out there for pretty much everything. One one end I'm trying to set my VPS at work up with everything I need to host a website on it. I'm making it a little harder on myself by trying to install everything from source (gave up on apache, but MySQL wasn't so hard) and on the other end I'm learning Bash shell scripting, which I currently have no practical use for.

Whenever I finally pick up on something, it's really not so bad, the hardest part seems to be sifting through needlessly complex instructions and tutorials that are supposed to be teaching me shit, even when they assume you have 0 linux experience. I've learned more from youtube videos and just fucking around than any documentation.

I'm also tearing holes through Linux network administration texts at the same time as all this, so I'm overloaded enough without having to stop on the current document I'm looking at so I can jump through a billion others just so I can understand what the one just said. Does anybody both use Linux and have a life, because I feel like that person would be a good teacher.

Welcome to Linux. Enjoy your stay! (the answer is no. We're talking about people who develop software for free.)
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Reply 17 of 20 (Originally posted on: 04-19-11 12:07:58 PM)

I've come to find this to be true.
Sex
Shadowe

Reply 18 of 20 (Originally posted on: 09-17-11 09:13:40 PM)

After getting so pissed off at Natty I switched to debian, and so annoyed with debian I didn't know where to go next I decided in a fit of self-flagellation to go for Archlinux on the grounds that it's "almost but not quite gentoo, without the compile times". I haven't tried gentoo so I don't know how accurate that is but after spending virtually all my spare time for several days over a weekend elbows deep in the CLI building my laptop's current install by hand I'm pretty sure I've learned more about linux in those three or four days than I did in the three or four months I'd been using it beforehand.
Run Silent Run Drapes
Administrator

Reply 19 of 20 (Originally posted on: 10-25-11 11:12:07 AM)

Get Windows 7. Problem solved.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Reply 20 of 20 (Originally posted on: 11-08-13 03:18:19 PM)

So Linux administration is my career now. I make significantly more money yet get laid significantly less.
Sex
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 2779 | Total Posts: 20 ]