Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > SADDEST DAY IN A LONG TIME or: Mr. Rogers dies of stomach cancer > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 9151 | Total Posts: 44 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
mirthalac
INTL Alumni
stan "the single pringle" templeton

Prettiest Red Beard this side of the Canadian Border

Ballkicks: (+301 / -42)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
(Originally posted on: 02-27-03 07:49:15 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Quote:

Fred Rogers, who became a nurturing television friend to millions of children as host of the public television program "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood," died of cancer on Thursday at 74, his producer said.

full story is here: http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/reuters20030227_92.html

there have been three things in my life that have cause me the most grief. losing my maternal grandfather, my fraternal grandmother dying at her home, and now the man who taught me how crayons are made, how to be calm and unconditionally good, and what it's like on the other side of the trolly tracks, Fred Rogers.

I wept at lunch, then again at my desk before i came home. if anybody needs a tissue, i've got a box right here.

MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
Bobby Crosby's
Home of mid-paced viking metal
OLD SKOOL 4 LIFE KREW
Roatigas

The best in the world at kicking people when they're down

Ballkicks: (+47 / -21)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 1 of 44 (Originally posted on: 02-27-03 08:07:11 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

All I know of the man is what I saw of him on 'Family Guy'. And seeing how it's a cartoon and all it means I don't know anything about him. I think when Dr. Smith died I was more distraught, and then all I did was wear my Lost in space T-shirt with him on it in his honour.
"So on the wall there should be one of those emergency boxes with the glass pane on the front, with the words 'break in case of girlfriend' written on it" - Ryan
Stevo
The Monkey Pirate King

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+101 / -41)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 2 of 44 (Originally posted on: 02-27-03 08:14:44 PM)

"SaDDest"

And Mr. Rogers was the shiznit, yo.
Melanie
Banned for having ideals.

I boned Sandamnit

Ballkicks: (+43 / -6)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 3 of 44 (Originally posted on: 02-27-03 08:26:31 PM)

I remember watching his biography on A&E about a year ago and crying like a baby. Off camera, he's the same nice guy. This woman came up to him with her teenage kid and 7 year old and they were all so excited to see him that it made me cry. I cried for 30 minutes after that. Probably because of my nutcase hormones, but I was happy, too.

I don't want to read the article, because I'll definitely cry again.
crazy is all right.
Mr Pixies
Scuba.

Ballkicks: (+490 / -96)
Reply 4 of 44 (Originally posted on: 02-27-03 08:46:40 PM)

Yeah, really sad.
VAGINIAN

I'm entertained, but I'd rather be enlightened.

mirthalac
INTL Alumni

Reply 5 of 44 (Originally posted on: 02-27-03 09:01:02 PM)

Quoted from Stevo:
"SaDDest"

And Mr. Rogers was the shiznit, yo.

thanks for the catch, yo.

*pours out a 40 for his homeslice mr. rogers*
Bobby Crosby's
OLD SKOOL 4 LIFE KREW
flaming arrow

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1255 / -281)
Reply 6 of 44 (Originally posted on: 02-27-03 09:41:33 PM)

Mr. Rogers rocked.

It is pretty sad.

He taught me how crayons were made to...

MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
"I'm a thief when all else fails, and all else failed." - Gambit
"It feels like I'm getting more famouser every day." - Avril Lavigne
"The rivers are full of crocodile nasties, and He who made kittens put snakes in the grass." - Jethro Tull, Bungle in the Jungle
"What's your's is mine, and what's mine is mine too. If you shake my hand, better count your fingers. - Megadeth, Dread and the Fugitive Mind

Coca-Cola
INTL Premium Member

MY WIG-WAM WOKS!

Ballkicks: (+503 / -183)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
Reply 7 of 44 (Originally posted on: 02-27-03 10:48:24 PM)

This event has a double sadness factor for me. Thinking back to the show also reminds me that I was watching it when my dad came home and told me that my dog had been put to sleep because she had cancer.
I'm taking a BA in Beer and my GPA is 5.0%
spoon

Deer Hunter

Ballkicks: (+60 / -18)
Reply 8 of 44 (Originally posted on: 02-27-03 11:45:45 PM)

I hated those damn puppets...but his sweaters and sneakers always amused me... odd.
MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
"I'm not sure if you're cool and hip enough to fight the dark army of triple-headed megabeasts that I have to battle on a daily basis." - Drop Dead Fred
Melanie
Banned for having ideals.

I boned Sandamnit

Ballkicks: (+43 / -6)
Reply 9 of 44 (Originally posted on: 02-27-03 11:49:48 PM)

I loved his fish tank.

At the end of the show, when he took off his "house" shoes, sometimes he never put any back on to go outside. I paid attention to this. Sometimes he only put one on, sometimes none.
crazy is all right.
Baggy_Brad
FIGJAM

Cool.

Ballkicks: (+1431 / -135)
Reply 10 of 44 (Originally posted on: 02-28-03 12:17:16 AM)

It wasn't stomach cancer... it was SADDAM!
I'm a Bloody Aussie!
"I am the succesful Business Man. I have said it the winner a Second Time"

It's not the raping that makes feel guilty, it's the uncomfortable silence afterwards... The Hackey Central Times
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 11 of 44 (Originally posted on: 02-28-03 12:25:22 AM)

Mister Rogers is dead at 74? I could have sworn he was a hundred and twenty something.
"...and that's the kind of person I am, opinionated and moronic!"
NNY
Alcoholics Anonymous
Forum Drunkard

Staying in alone, with my cat.

Ballkicks: (+666 / -76)
Reply 12 of 44 (Originally posted on: 02-28-03 02:49:06 AM)

he was a great guy. i remember watching the show when was little, and probably when i was too old to be watching it.
"there are these boys in my neighborhood that smoke pot, weed, you name it. anyway,one day when my cuzin was at my house we called the cops on them.the cops came over to there house but they did not catch them. a few weeks later my friends went to go drop off a movie at his house i went along w/ them the boy who smokes says which 1 of your parents snithed on me that i was smoking weed? me and my friend ran to my house and i went inside by the way this boy who smokes weed is 15 and cant even paint a mailbox w/ even strokes"
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Reply 13 of 44 (Originally posted on: 02-28-03 03:32:12 AM)

Mr. Rogers Neighborhood is the only show I can think of that never jumped the shark. It really sucks he's dead, and really surprising that he was 74 years old, he's been around forever.
"How many episodes of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood are there?
Including some early black-and-white versions, almost 900 episodes have been produced." -
http://www.misterrogers.org/mister_rogers_neighborhood/faq.asp

Pretty impressive stuff.
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 14 of 44 (Originally posted on: 02-28-03 07:29:10 AM)

Quoted from mirthalac:
the man who taught me how crayons are made

I remember that episode. *bursts into tears*

May Mr. Rogers rest in peace. Trolley and King Friday and Mr. McFeely... all gone.
Mike: Where's my cup?
Charlie: I threw it away.
Mike: Which way?
Sixten Sparre
Épater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reply 15 of 44 (Originally posted on: 02-28-03 08:28:20 AM)

incredible how little i care.
snatch22

Ballkicks: (+12 / -6)
Reply 16 of 44 (Originally posted on: 02-28-03 11:02:28 AM)

It's like the giant gaping hole in my heart has just been filled with acid. I hated his puppets, but I loved whenever he changed his clothes. And the crayons, oh god the crayons! *starts to cry*
JamesMartigo
The Flying Dutchman

Ballkicks: (+118 / -35)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 17 of 44 (Originally posted on: 02-28-03 11:16:56 AM)

It was never on TV here. The closest I got was the "Mr. Robinsons Neighbourhood" sketch by Eddie Murphy. 74 is still a bit young. Cancer is horrible.
"Women are so weird because us men haven't learned to speak estrogenese." - Flaming Arrow
"I don't think any man has ever mastered the language...I mean, besides gay guys." - Flaming Arrow
"In estrogenese, No means Yes, and Yes means twice." - Dimi
"Hey Guess what everybody! MY PENIS IS AN AVERAGE SIZED PENIS! How's that for truth?" - Baggy Brad
mirthalac
INTL Alumni

Reply 18 of 44 (Originally posted on: 02-28-03 12:01:15 PM)

Quoted from JamesMartigo:
It was never on TV here. The closest I got was the "Mr. Robinsons Neighbourhood" sketch by Eddie Murphy. 74 is still a bit young. Cancer is horrible.

Eddie Murphy recalled in an interview the first time he met mr. rogers.
As the interview went, Murphy was in the same building as Rogers when a production assistant told him that Rogers wanted to speak with him. Murphy feared that Rogers was going to share a piece of his mind for bastardizing his show. IIRC Murphy tried to sneak out but ran into Rogers in the elevator with nobody around. When the doors closed Rogers said to Murphy, "Eddie Murphy I'd like to talk with you." Murphy feared the verbal ass reaming would begin. "I've seen your parody of my show on Saturday Night Live." Here it comes, Murphy's thinking. "I'd just like to tell you that I think it's very funny."

Fred Rogers, the most grounded man ever. *pours out another 40 for his fallen hero*
Bobby Crosby's
OLD SKOOL 4 LIFE KREW
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+914 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 19 of 44 (Originally posted on: 02-28-03 12:36:25 PM)

Won't you be my neighbor?
mirthalac
INTL Alumni

Reply 20 of 44 (Originally posted on: 02-28-03 12:52:57 PM)

transcript of his speech to the Dartmouth graduating class of last year is here. some of them didn't want him to show up. and this was his last public appearence.

and yes sandamnit, i will be your neighbor.
Bobby Crosby's
OLD SKOOL 4 LIFE KREW
Mojo
Velocity BITCH

Big Mamma Bitch

Ballkicks: (+192 / -66)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 21 of 44 (Originally posted on: 02-28-03 02:17:29 PM)

In 1968, when I was 2, my mom propped me up in front of the television and the fledgling PBS station, and I discovered there was someone who loved me, and that he thought I made each day a special one by just me being me. It was the only time my age group has been the target market for anything.

Recently, we had Mr. Rogers do a telephone interview on our morning show, talking about his new book. He just released a pretty good book on parenting young children, and it reads like he spoke: easily, gently, and with a subtle humor that never degrades.

As a child, I loved him. As a parent, I respected him. As a broadcaster, he's one of my heroes. He was not only a great host, he was a broadcasting pioneer.

I'm terribly sad and hope he was not in pain in his final hours. That would just be unbearable to imagine.

Speedy delivery, yes.
"Give me the luxuries of life and I can do without some of the necessities."
-Evelyn Waugh

Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+914 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 22 of 44 (Originally posted on: 02-28-03 02:42:09 PM)

I think it's pretty damn cool that he was a Marine Corp sniper with 73 confirmed kills in Vietnam. I mean, damn, 73 confirmed kills. What a bad ass.
peach
I get enamoured

Just call me "Mom"

Ballkicks: (+735 / -175)
Reply 23 of 44 (Originally posted on: 02-28-03 02:54:37 PM)

I saw an interview with him in it awhile ago, and he was talking about honesty, which was really cool. He's just so genuine, not a jackass off camera. And he didn't do that product placement that was so popular in the late fifties and even now is popular. That's really cool that he didn't fuck up his show like that. And he did most of the puppetering, blahblahblah. The point is he was just so natural in the role that he had, and that's cool.
Now is the winter of our discontent
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Reply 24 of 44 (Originally posted on: 02-28-03 03:45:27 PM)

He also hated black people and beat hookers.

Sorry, I just had to say something negative about him because I can sense my manly exterior shattering. I may weep.

RIP Fred

The hooker thing is actually true

Nah just kidding.

*nods yes*

*smiles and nods no*

Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 9151 | Total Posts: 44 ]