Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Linux Corner: computers for something other than windows? WHAT > Guitar Hero 3 > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 ] [ Thread Views: 7784 | Total Posts: 84 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Jesuß
INTL Premium Member
Healing America by Beating People Up

It's "erroneous," you uptight fairy.

Ballkicks: (+137 / -34)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
(Originally posted on: 10-31-07 12:31:08 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Has anyone else picked this up?

I haven't played a GH game before this one, and I was wondering how representative of the previous games it is.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 1 of 84 (Originally posted on: 10-31-07 01:30:42 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Pretty much the same as GH2 as far as I've seen of the mechanics and controls. There are obviously new songs and other things, I'm sure, but it's fairly representative of GH2. Can't speak for the original GH, never played it.
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 2 of 84 (Originally posted on: 10-31-07 03:37:02 PM)

I'm pretty sure they're about the same. It's an really fun game, my girlfriend plays it more than me though (and she's much better)

We keep having issues with out controllers though, after 3 DOA controllers our fourth is having the green button go bad repeatedly MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS I don't know if this is a problem everywhere, or just the shipment that my store got.
An atom walks into a bar looking very depressed.
Bartender: What's wrong?
Atom: I've just lost an electron.
Bartender: Are you sure?
Atom: Yeah, I'm positive.
Jesuß
INTL Premium Member
Healing America by Beating People Up

It's "erroneous," you uptight fairy.

Ballkicks: (+137 / -34)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 3 of 84 (Originally posted on: 10-31-07 09:49:28 PM)

Are you using the wireless one that shipped with GH3 or the wired one? I've heard reports of problems with the wireless controllers, although I haven't experienced them myself.
Yogi
INTL Premium Member
The Hero of Canton

check out my color filters

Ballkicks: (+129 / -58)
Reg. Date: Mar 2003
Reply 4 of 84 (Originally posted on: 11-01-07 04:44:23 AM)

I've played the demo, and even with just the xbox controller it's great fun.

I really want it, but don't know if i can afford spending that kind of money right now..
The Big Deal
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 5 of 84 (Originally posted on: 11-01-07 11:59:18 AM)

It was with the wireless one, I'm on my 5th controller now, but it appears to be working fine.

I need to take apart out old controller, B/C the red button is now sticking, I think something sticky got in there MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
An atom walks into a bar looking very depressed.
Bartender: What's wrong?
Atom: I've just lost an electron.
Bartender: Are you sure?
Atom: Yeah, I'm positive.
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

From west philadelphia born and raised on the playground it's said I spent most of my days

Ballkicks: (+64 / -17)
Reg. Date: Nov 2006
Reply 6 of 84 (Originally posted on: 11-01-07 02:42:00 PM)

This is a lot of fun, and the songs are far better than GH2 in my opinion. The only problem I've experienced is that when I tilt my guitar, it doesn't register the majority of the time, so I always screw up the star power thing and then screw a few notes up too.
Yogi
INTL Premium Member
The Hero of Canton

check out my color filters

Ballkicks: (+129 / -58)
Reg. Date: Mar 2003
Reply 7 of 84 (Originally posted on: 11-02-07 02:51:53 AM)

You're not rocking hard enough. Play the guitar like a 2 dollar whore.
The Big Deal
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 8 of 84 (Originally posted on: 11-02-07 05:37:57 AM)

It's good to hear activision didn't screw it up!

Now if only I could run across $100 bucks.
"A man chooses, a slave obeys."
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Ballkicks: (+527 / -190)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 9 of 84 (Originally posted on: 11-05-07 03:29:25 PM)

Anyone know the difference across the different systems?
U CANT TRICK THE TRICKSTER

Moderator of the Proud Inside Discussions Forum.
www.uselessstatic.com
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 10 of 84 (Originally posted on: 11-05-07 09:34:42 PM)

I tried out Rock Band at Best Buy today and it was pretty fun. The drums are a lot easier to adapt to than the guitar, so I imagine that most people will quickly become better drummers than guitarists at this game.

I managed to jump in at "Hard" difficulty (out of Easy, Medium, Hard, and Expert) and do fairly decently at In Bloom, Do I Stay Or Do I Go, and Wave of Mutilation, after only playing it for maybe half an hour. Managed to average about 92% or so between the three of them.

Thinking about buying GH3 for PS2 now though, because the only time I can play it is at my friends house and he's starting to get way better than me, so I need to keep par.
Fisher
INTL Premium Member
jhsdfi;loiha

Fishdick

Ballkicks: (+439 / -139)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 11 of 84 (Originally posted on: 11-07-07 09:00:04 AM)

I am the king all things Guitar Hero related.

(89% Through the Fire and Flames - Expert)

wheezy - the Wii version makes string error noises straight on the guitars speaker; the PS2 version requires little wireless dongles for the wireless guitar, and the Xbox360 version has the easiest online ability.
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Ballkicks: (+527 / -190)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 12 of 84 (Originally posted on: 11-07-07 02:12:40 PM)

Quote:
wheezy - the Wii version makes string error noises straight on the guitars speaker

What exactly does that mean?
U CANT TRICK THE TRICKSTER

Moderator of the Proud Inside Discussions Forum.
www.uselessstatic.com
Snook
INTL Premium Member

enlightening 6 year olds on the horrors of war

Ballkicks: (+247 / -65)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 13 of 84 (Originally posted on: 11-07-07 03:49:07 PM)

So I finally caved in and ordered GH2 (it was cheaper than GH3.) It should arrive in the mail tomorrow, or Friday. I'm quite excited; I got to play it at a friends place and had a blast.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 14 of 84 (Originally posted on: 11-08-07 04:55:11 PM)

Pft real men play real instruments.
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 15 of 84 (Originally posted on: 11-08-07 09:30:24 PM)

So could someone explain the appeal to me? I mean.. I've played it. But I just picture listening to the same songs a lot and mashing buttons in sequence not that far apart from Simon Says.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
Snook
INTL Premium Member

Reply 16 of 84 (Originally posted on: 11-08-07 10:54:55 PM)

Quoted from IF0:
So could someone explain the appeal to me? I mean.. I've played it. But I just picture listening to the same songs a lot and mashing buttons in sequence not that far apart from Simon Says.

It's great with a group of friends.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

From west philadelphia born and raised on the playground it's said I spent most of my days

Ballkicks: (+64 / -17)
Reg. Date: Nov 2006
Reply 17 of 84 (Originally posted on: 11-09-07 03:46:33 AM)

Drinking/Party game.
Snook
INTL Premium Member

Reply 18 of 84 (Originally posted on: 11-09-07 08:07:43 AM)

Quoted from Purple:
Drinking/Party game.

That too.
IF0
Administrator

Reply 19 of 84 (Originally posted on: 11-09-07 08:12:01 AM)

I guess I'm still old-fashioned and use decks of cards or something.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 20 of 84 (Originally posted on: 11-09-07 01:02:11 PM)

Quoted from emtilt:
Almost everyone I know who plays guitar/bass picked up Guitar Hero insanely fast and can pretty much 5-star most every song.

Quote:
You basically just summed up just about every game in the world, whether you intended to or not.

Most games are nothing more than doing the same rudimentary tasks over and over and over again in different sequences, failing and trying again until you beat it, then moving on and doing the same thing over and over and over again... first person shooters, check; racing games, check; platform games, check; sports games, check; fighting games, check; role-playing games, double check; mmorpgs, infinity check... need I continue?

Whether you're experiencing the same map repeatedly playing Halo 3 multiplayer or going back and trying to beat your high scores in Tony Hawk or replaying a season in Madden with a different team, it all boils down to the same thing in every game: repetition.

Personally, I don't quite fully understand the appeal of Guitar Hero, not to say that I don't absolutely fucking love the game. It's presented in an incredibly simplistic nature, but to actually perform the tasks it requires is incredibly difficult, so there's a rather glaring contrast, which I think plays a lot into it. Above all though, not being able to play guitar or any instrument at all, I think there's a certain level of fantasy that comes with playing Guitar Hero, which makes it instantly appealing to some people who have the desire, but don't have the time or patience to really take up learning it.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 21 of 84 (Originally posted on: 11-09-07 01:37:53 PM)

Quoted from Sandamnit:
Quoted from emtilt:
Almost everyone I know who plays guitar/bass picked up Guitar Hero insanely fast and can pretty much 5-star most every song.

I'm just bitter that I don't have an xbox.
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like
Snook
INTL Premium Member

Reply 22 of 84 (Originally posted on: 11-10-07 07:52:36 AM)

Quoted from Sandamnit:
Quoted from emtilt:

Funny, I see the opposite. They always try to play the ACTUAL notes and note the in-game ones.
IF0
Administrator

Reply 23 of 84 (Originally posted on: 11-10-07 10:52:48 AM)

Quote:
You basically just summed up just about every game in the world, whether you intended to or not.

Most games are nothing more than doing the same rudimentary tasks over and over and over again in different sequences, failing and trying again until you beat it, then moving on and doing the same thing over and over and over again... first person shooters, check; racing games, check; platform games, check; sports games, check; fighting games, check; role-playing games, double check; mmorpgs, infinity check... need I continue?

Whether you're experiencing the same map repeatedly playing Halo 3 multiplayer or going back and trying to beat your high scores in Tony Hawk or replaying a season in Madden with a different team, it all boils down to the same thing in every game: repetition.

Not all athletics are the same just because you sweat. Obviously, there will be repetition in everything we do in any aspect of our lives. But it just seems like Guitar Hero is blind repetition. There's no strategy to it, which is a huge difference between this sort of game and all of the others you listed. It's not a thinking game.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 24 of 84 (Originally posted on: 11-10-07 02:13:53 PM)

Quote:
There's no strategy to it, which is a huge difference between this sort of game and all of the others you listed. It's not a thinking game.
You're right, there's no real strategy to Guitar Hero other than knowing when to use your Star Power on songs to maximize your points, but even then, that's not real strategy.

The thing you're missing is that Guitar Hero emulates reading notes off of a meter, so there's not really much they can do in terms of a strategy. It's kinda like faulting a penguin for being a bird that can't fly.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 7784 | Total Posts: 84 ]