Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Comments, Suggestions & Announcements > New Feature: Thread Subscriptions / RSS Feed > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: Ztolk
Page: [ 1 ] [ Thread Views: 5084 | Total Posts: 14 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+914 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
(Originally posted on: 08-02-04 08:51:40 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

First off, I don't really expect this feature to be all that widely used; however, I do plan on using it, so I figured I may as well give everyone else an equal opportunity to use it. Whether or not you do is up to you.

I've made two changes to the forum. RSS Feeds and Thread Subscriptions.

Before I go on, since some people lack the ability to figure things out on their own, let me explain what thread subscriptions and rss feeds are.

Thread Subscriptions
There are two ways in which to subscribe to a thread.
1. You can click the fucking "SUBSCRIBE TO THREAD" link that is near where you would typically click "Reply to Thread", "New Thread", and "New Poll". I did this, because, well, you'd have to be fucking blind to not notice it there. You can also unsubscribe to a thread by clicking where it says "UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THREAD" when you are viewing threads that you are subscribed to.
2. You can go into your preferences (labelled as "prefs" in the top menu for those of you who aren't "in the know") and turn on the "Auto-Subscribe to Thread Upon Reply" feature. This will make it so that threads that you either post or reply to will be automatically added to your subscription list.

What is an RSS Feed?
There's really no concensus on what RSS stands for. It has stood for "Rich Site Summary", "Really Simple Syndication", and "RDF Site Summary". So there's no real simple way to sum up what RSS is by a snappy, easily understood acronym. Instead, RSS is just a simple way of keeping abreast on updates to websites that are updated frequently.

How Does RSS Works?
RSS works by accessing an XML file on a server which you point your feeder program to (a "feeder program" is also known as an aggregator). Since that XML file should change frequently, based on updates to site content, whenever that XML file is altered, upon your aggregator retrieving the XML file containing updates, your aggregator will notify you of the change, thus you are notified of changes immediately.

Okay. Now, thread subscriptions will only work via the RSS Feed feature. The RSS Feed feature is located here: http://forums.interestingnonetheless.net/rss.php

Upon loading that page for the first time by supplying your forum username and forum password, you will see the following information:

That is because you have not subscribed to any threads yet; however, once you start subscribing to threads, that information will change.

As it would seem, that page is not very informative and will likely confuse most people. In order to interpret that page into something useful, you will need an RSS Feeder program (aggregator), which can be downloaded here:

Feed Reader
RSS Reader
Feed Readers
The one I use: SharpReader

Once you've determined which aggregator is best for you, then you'll need to add a subscribed RSS feed to your aggregator, which should look something like this:

You'll then need to enter the INTL RSS Feed URL into the entry that pops up. The INTL RSS Feed URL is: http://forums.interestingnonetheless.net/rss.php

You'll then be prompted for a username and password, which may or may not look like this:

Once you enter your username and password properly, the RSS Feed will be active and once you start subscribing to threads and they get posted in, you'll get notified. When you get notified of the update, a window that looks like this will pop up:

So yeah, that's about it. It sounds more complicated than it actually is, so check it out and if you don't like it, then get rid of it.

I've also set up an option in your user preferences called "AUTO-SUBSCRIBE TO THREADS UPON REPLY" which if you activate, will, ta-da! automatically subscribe you to threads that you reply to and post, so that you won't need to subscribe manually.
No.
This reply was last edited on 08-03-04 12:43:09 PM by Air Bud.
bother

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+108 / -25)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 1 of 14 (Originally posted on: 08-02-04 09:30:16 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

i fully expect to look stupid here, but... what is this all about exactly? i didn't understand a single word of what you wrote. i suspect that maybe intentional on your part.
kham
you're a cigarette!

Bedwetter

Ballkicks: (+259 / -51)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 2 of 14 (Originally posted on: 08-02-04 09:37:02 PM)

Quoted from bother:
i fully expect to look stupid here, but... what is this all about exactly? i didn't understand a single word of what you wrote. i suspect that maybe intentional on your part.

basically it notifies you immediately if the forummer erotica thread is updated.
Purple Haze
INTL Premium Member
[This Space For Rent]

[This Space Is Sold]

Ballkicks: (+60 / -12)
Reg. Date: May 2003
Reply 3 of 14 (Originally posted on: 08-02-04 09:37:53 PM)

It notifies you if someone posts a reply in a thread that you subscribed to. It sounds pretty usefull, so I'll probably be using it.

Edit: Kham answered while I was posting.
NNY
Alcoholics Anonymous
Forum Drunkard

Staying in alone, with my cat.

Ballkicks: (+666 / -76)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 4 of 14 (Originally posted on: 08-02-04 09:38:36 PM)

Quoted from kham:
Quoted from bother:

basically it notifies you immediately if the forummer erotica thread is updated.

you sure know your audience.
I hate yankees and this is one reason why. Just because you can't pay for 3 hot dogs doesn't mean that the economy is bad and ya'll think that bush is an idiot because he's from Texas. Well f you because he saved your ass from people like Sadam Houssein and don't go thinking i'm just a minupulated trailor trash illiterate for taking up for him because I'm smarter than 90% of the world.

"There's not a lot of cursing, swearing, personal cuts, there's not a lot of put downs, it's not you know screen-fulls of you know "go to hell", it's just surprising."

--- John Allen about "Internet"
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 5 of 14 (Originally posted on: 08-02-04 09:41:05 PM)

Quoted from bother:
Yes, I purposely spent like three hours, setting all of this up, only to purposely make absolutely no sense so that no one would understand what I was talking about. You've uncovered my genius ruse, sir! I applaud you!

Let me break it down for the slow-minded:

1. Subscribe to threads by replying to them (if you activate that option in your preferences) or manually subscribing to them by clicking the "Subscribe to Thread" link near the "Reply to Thread / New Thread / New Poll" links.
2. Install a RSS Feed program (links to RSS feed software has been supplied).
3. Point the software to the INTL RSS feed (also adequately noted in my original post).
4. Supply your forum username and password (which I even included a picture of).
5. The software will notify you of updates to the threads you've subscribed to (I also included a picture of what this looks like).

I believe I've made myself quite clear, so if you have any other questions about how to install AOL or upgrade your Internet, please ask here, because I'd love to help you integrate yourself into the Information Superhighway!
No.
bother

LBH was here.

Reply 6 of 14 (Originally posted on: 08-02-04 09:48:17 PM)

Quote:
Yes, I purposely spent like three hours, setting all of this up, only to purposely make absolutely no sense so that no one would understand what I was talking about. You've uncovered my genius ruse, sir! I applaud you!
haha... that's not what i meant. i'm just very aware of not being quite as technically literate as some other people, nor as well integrated in the intl "scene", so i was conscious of possibly not being, er... you know, meant to understand. doo doo doo. anyway, thanks. it sounds like a completely wonderful idea.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 7 of 14 (Originally posted on: 08-02-04 10:25:56 PM)

Well, regardless of whether our retarded friend understood your directions, I did. I'll start using this soon, I believe.
I really hope no one comes over here right now.
I just farted, see? And it really stinks.
This could be the end of my professional career.
Baggy_Brad
FIGJAM

Cool.

Ballkicks: (+1431 / -135)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 8 of 14 (Originally posted on: 08-03-04 01:55:54 AM)

why do you hate the INTL tag?

Brad's Wintry Journal 2
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 9 of 14 (Originally posted on: 08-03-04 06:03:30 AM)

Awesome feature. I use the subscription feature at SA a lot, and having as an RSS feed makes it better.
bother

LBH was here.

Reply 10 of 14 (Originally posted on: 08-03-04 09:05:53 AM)

Quote:
Well, regardless of whether our retarded friend understood your directions, I did. I'll start using this soon, I believe.
oh, fuck you. it's difficult to understand directions when you don't know where they're supposed to be pointing you. there was no explanation of what either "thread subscriptions" or "rss feed" was. but whatever. i'm sorry for asking.
Salamando
The Reel RS Krew
RULE BREAKER!

LOL karma palindrome

Ballkicks: (+145 / -473)
Reg. Date: May 2003
Reply 11 of 14 (Originally posted on: 08-03-04 09:41:28 AM)

id like to subscribe to your newsletter sandamnit, please make a feature for that too
cocaine ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||| mushrooms | marijuana ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| |||| codeine ||| alcohol ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| |||| salvia | adderall | HALTED DUE TO PROBATION (will resume in 6 months)
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 12 of 14 (Originally posted on: 08-03-04 11:03:15 AM)

nvm fixed
This reply was last edited on 08-03-04 12:48:29 PM by antpocas.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 13 of 14 (Originally posted on: 08-03-04 12:46:37 PM)

I just added some explanations to the topic post, so if you're still confused as to what Thread Subscriptions and RSS Feeds are, please read the additions I've made.
No.
Bon

Village Idiot

Ballkicks: (+162 / -84)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 14 of 14 (Originally posted on: 08-05-04 06:25:50 PM)

it doesn't appear to be connecting. i am using 'feedreader' and i typed in the url when prompted to, but i just get a 'connecting...' message then it says something about a 404 error. i don't know what could be wrong.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 5084 | Total Posts: 14 ]