Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Pretension Palace: i don't like that band because you've heard of them > INTL Film Festival: July 2004 > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: Amphytrite
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 10133 | Total Posts: 59 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+914 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
(Originally posted on: 06-19-04 08:02:54 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Okay. I tried this last April in The Gallery and everyone seemed to love the idea, but when it came down to it, toward the end of April, no one had participated. After the thread lay dormant for a while, someone came up with the idea of posting a new thread in Inside Discussions, thus exposing it to a lot more people, considering that The Gallery isn't a very popular subforum.

So anyway, here's how this works.

Each month's thread will contain a few movies that you have the entire month to track down and watch somehow, whether it be renting, purchasing, or even downloading, if need be. After watching the movie, you will then give a review of the film, tell us what you thought, what you felt, what you think the overall purpose and intent of the director and writers were.

Basically, the whole intention of this "film festival" is to expose people to great movies and encourage open discussion of ideas regarding those movies.

At any time, you may suggest another movie for the upcoming months, but those that actually participate will have first dibs on the movies that will be used in the following months. So when the August 2004 thread is being created, the films that seem to have the most recommendation and reception will be chosen.

Each month, if this lasts, a new thread will be created and a few movies will be chosen from the suggestions of people who participate in the previous threads.

Now, with that said, let me announce the movies that will be featured in this month's thread.

(Also, I've included a "Link to Amazon" section for each movie on the off chance that someone might want to actually purchase one of these films on DVD through the INTL affiliates program.)

City of God (2002)

Link To Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000D9PNX/ref=ase_interestingno-20/002-1624227-2271252?v=glance&s=dvd
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317248/
IMDB Rating: 8.7/10 (13,112 votes) Rated #29 on the top250
Rotten Tomatoes: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/CityofGod-1119797/
Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 93% Fresh
Directed by: Kátia Lund / Fernando Meirelles
Starring: Alexandre Rodrigues / Leandro Firmino / Phellipe Haagensen
Language: Portugese
MPAA Rating: R
Plot Summary: Cidade de Deus (City of God) is a housing project built in the 1960's that--in the early 80's--became one of the most dangerous places in Rio de Janeiro. The tale tells the stories of many characters whose lives sometimes intersect. However, all is seen through the eyes of a singular narrator: Busca-Pé, a poor black youth too frail and scared to become an outlaw but also to smart to be content with underpaid, menial jobs. He grows up in a very violent environment. The odds are all against him. But Busca-Pé soon discovers that he can see reality differently than others. His redemption is that he's been given an artist's point of view as a keen-eyed photographer. As Busca-Pé is not the real protagonist of the film--only the narrator--he is not the one who makes the decisions that will determine the sequence of events. Nevertheless, not only his life is attached to what happens in the story, but it is also through Busca-Pé's perspective of life that one can understand the complicated layers and humanity of a world, apparently condemned to endless violence.

Léon (The Professional) (1994)

Link to Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004YYDI/ref=ase_interestingno-20/002-1624227-2271252?v=glance&s=dvd
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110413/
IMDB Rating: 8.4/10 (40,761 votes) Rated #64 on the top250
Rotten Tomatoes: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/TheProfessional-1057884/
Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 81% Fresh
Directed by: Luc Besson
Starring: Jean Reno / Gary Oldman / Natalie Portman
Language: English
MPAA Rating: R (Original theatrical) / Unrated (uncut)
Plot Summary: Mathilda, a twelve-year old New York girl, is living an undesirable life among her half-family. Her father stores drugs for two-faced cop Norman Stansfield. Only her little brother keeps Mathilda from breaking apart. One day, Stansfield and his team take cruel revenge on her father for stretching the drugs a little, thus killing the whole family. Only Mathilda, who was out shopping, survives by finding shelter in Léon's apartment in the moment of highest need. Soon, she finds out about the strange neighbour's unusual profession - killing - and desperately seeks his help in taking revenge for her little brother. Léon, who is completely unexperienced in fatherly tasks, and in friendships, does his best to keep Mathilda out of trouble - unsuccessfully. Now, the conflict between a killer, who slowly discovers his abilities to live, to feel, to love and a corrupt police officer, who does anything in his might to get rid of an eye witness, arises to unmeasurable proportions - all for the sake of a little twelve-year old girl, who has nearly nothing to lose.

The Pianist (2002)

Link to Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005JLT5/ref=ase_interestingno-20/002-1624227-2271252?v=glance&s=dvd
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0253474/
IMDB Rating: 8.5/10 (20,923 votes) Rated #37 on the top250
Rotten Tomatoes: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ThePianist-1116005/
Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 96% Fresh
Directed by: Roman Polanski
Starring: Adrien Brody / Thomas Kretschmann / Frank Finlay
Language: English / German / Russian
Plot Summary: The true story of Wladyslaw Szpilman who, in the 1930s, was known as the most accomplished piano player in all of Poland, if not Europe. At the outbreak of the Second World War, however, Szpilman becomes subject to the anti-Jewish laws imposed by the conquering Germans. By the start of the 1940s, Szpilman has seen his world go from piano concert halls to the Jewish Ghetto of Warsaw and then must suffer the tragedy of his family deported to a death camp, while Szpilman is conscripted into a forced German Labor Compound. At last deciding to escape, Szpilman goes into hiding as a Jewish refugee where he is witness to the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising and the Warsaw City Revolt in 1945.

Lola Rennt (Run Lola Run) (1998)

Link to Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000021Y77/ref=ase_interestingno-20/002-1624227-2271252?v=glance&s=dvd
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0130827/
IMDB Rating: 8.2/10 (26,641 votes) Rated #109 on the top250
Rotten Tomatoes: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/RunLolaRun-1087932/
Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 93% Fresh
Directed by: Tom Tykwer
Starring: Franka Potente / Moritz Bleibtreu / Herbert Knaup
Language: German
Plot Summary: The film explores the events that fate alone controls and displays the constant "what if's" that occur every moment and that can easily change the happenings of the next. The film follows the events between a woman, Lola, and her boyfriend, Mani, who she desperately tries to save from death by helping him obtain a huge amount of money he carelessly lost. It takes you on three different journeys with Lola, all controlled by fate, showing you what would happen in each, and all the "what if's" that provide the foundations for each outcome.

Okay, so there you have it. Watch, enjoy, and discuss.
No.
This reply was last edited on 06-19-04 10:24:59 PM by Air Bud.
Yogi
INTL Premium Member
The Hero of Canton

check out my color filters

Ballkicks: (+129 / -58)
Reg. Date: Mar 2003
Reply 1 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-19-04 09:45:02 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I thought this was gonna "make your own movie" thingy. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS

*orders city of god*
There seems to just be no one left to bully, Bush is pussy/
Why the fuck you think his name's Bush? Puss is bushy

Marcher
Background Forummers

I'm jealous of Jesus.

Ballkicks: (+344 / -47)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 2 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-20-04 12:19:17 AM)

I already own City of God, and I'll most likely be able to obtain copies of the others as well.
EscalatorToHell

elusive and illustrious

Ballkicks: (+177 / -80)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 3 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-20-04 06:39:55 AM)

Pianist and Run Lola Run I know for a fact are up at the local blockbuster, so after I'm done with American Splendor I'll rent 'em.

City of God looks good, but I 'm not so sure on where I'd find it.
<ib> I'LL FUCKING TAZE YOU BITCH
<ib> PUT THE MUFFINS DOWN
<ib> PUT THEM DOWN BITCH
Bebop

cups are only really useful for people drinking

Ballkicks: (+219 / -19)
Reg. Date: Oct 2003
Reply 4 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-20-04 06:42:47 AM)

I haven't seen Run Lola Run, but the rest of those films are brilliant, especially City of God.

I'm going to watch them again before I make a proper review though.
Marcher
Background Forummers

I'm jealous of Jesus.

Reply 5 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-20-04 02:29:38 PM)

Quote:
City of God looks good, but I 'm not so sure on where I'd find it.

The Blockbuster near me actually has it, so you never know.
Vervet
Anti-wiki

Ballkicks: (+875 / -84)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 6 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-20-04 07:38:00 PM)

I loved City of God when I saw it in theatres, and we own The Pianist, so I've seen it once or twice. Both are wonderful. Will discuss later, if I feel like it.
[Vervet] OH JUSTIN
Boo
shut up fags
Just as shitty as the original

Ballkicks: (+10 / -15)
Reg. Date: Jul 2005
Reply 7 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-20-04 08:08:05 PM)

I suggest Mean Girls.
-Boo
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 8 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-20-04 09:31:48 PM)

Quoted from Boo:
I suggest Mean Girls.
Shut the fuck up.
No.
Marcher
Background Forummers

I'm jealous of Jesus.

Reply 9 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-20-04 10:07:14 PM)

For next month, I suggest Donnie Darko. I've really wanted to see this for a while, so this is a good excuse to drag my ass down to Blockbuster.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 10 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-21-04 03:51:32 AM)

You need a thread on a message board as an excuse to rent a movie?
Marcher
Background Forummers

I'm jealous of Jesus.

Reply 11 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-21-04 04:27:11 AM)

No. I've just wanted to see it for a while, but never actually went out to rent it. I don't need an excuse, just...motivation.
Pascal
The Alpha Nerd

I love you, but why must you love the law?

Ballkicks: (+419 / -41)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 12 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-21-04 06:58:40 PM)

Leon is a pretty good action movie, but it's great because Natalie Portman actually puts in a good performance and Jean Reno is just a fucking god.

Run Lola Run/Lola Rennt was interesting and the blending of styles was innovative. I wasn't too blown away by it, though. Tykwer's other movie with Potente, The Princess and the Warrior/Die Prinzessin und Der Krieger is just fucking bizarre.

I should really watch City of God and maybe the Pianist.

For your recommended monthly allowance of QUIRKY, I recommend Six String Samurai.
Stormraider
User is currently banned until further notice.

im gay

Reply 13 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-21-04 10:49:44 PM)

I've seen The Professional and The Pianist.

The former was entertaining, and the acting really was pretty decent.

The Pianist was just awesome, in the literal sense of the term. Awe was actually a state I was in for a portion of the film. Brody deserved the Oscar--something I didn't agree with before seeing it, of course.
Stormraider- 73.275% of your daily dose of Cynical Jackass!!
Passionate Apathy: Not just a paradox, but a lifestyle.
Tonto_johnlee
U HAVE BEEN REDIRECTED TO THA LOGOUT SCRIPT ROFLOL

INTL resident asperger syndrome guy

Ballkicks: (+67 / -170)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 14 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-22-04 09:32:56 AM)

Quoted from Stormraider:
The Pianist was just awesome, in the literal sense of the term. Awe was actually a state I was in for a portion of the film. Brody deserved the Oscar--something I didn't agree with before seeing it, of course.

Abso-frickin-lutely. One of the best films ever, if excessively long, but the length's justified. I mean, it's just undescribable. The only other film in recent history that comes close is A Beautiful Mind. I didn't think much of Crowe till I saw that movie, but seeing it a few times made me 100% sure the Academy fucking robbed him of the Oscar that year. [/off-topicness]
\\/\\/3513Y c14rK 4 pr3Z 4 1iF3!

\\/\\35l3y Cl4Rk 1z 4 J3\\/\\/!!!!111

D13 1|\\|f1D3l |-|34t|-|3|\\|5!!!!!!!!11111
jamers615
INTL Premium Member

I've had them so long I don't think I could live without big ones!

Ballkicks: (+43 / -34)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 15 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-23-04 08:29:30 AM)

The Professional blew me away... I didn't want to see it at first, just looked like some goofy kill `em all movie to me at first, but when I finally sat down and watched this, I was hooked. I think it's the relationship between Leon and Mathilda - he tries so hard to not let her in, but at the same time you can totally see the yearning in the character to have some closeness with someone, as much as he denies it. There were so many levels to this movie if you really think about it, it just makes for interesting REPEAT watching, because I've gotten something different out fo it every time. But that's just me LOL IM SUCH A FAG!!
Yogi
INTL Premium Member
The Hero of Canton

Reply 16 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-23-04 09:12:25 AM)

City of god is in the mail.

saw The Pianist in the cinemas, didn't think it was all that. It was a good movie, but it was kinda "haven't i seen this before".

About donnie darko, I love that movie. Coincidentally that one is in the mail too, and they are FINALLY putting the movie up in cinemas here in Norway on 16th of July. Because of its lame response in US, it went straight on DVD here, but because it's success on DVD as a cult hit, they have decided to put it up. I'm making all my friends go see it. -.-

Spiff
!!!

gtfo

Ballkicks: (+258 / -11)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 17 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-24-04 09:36:02 AM)

I've seen Run Lola Run. Definitely one of the more interesting stylistic movies I've seen. Twyker's direction does a good job of keeping the movie's pace manic and, though the idea of minor events altering fate had been done earlier that year, albeit in a different style, Twyker's "live video game" version is more universal in its implications.

Quoted from Pascal:
For your recommended monthly allowance of QUIRKY, I recommend Six String Samurai.
Heh, yeah, it is that.

My reccomendation for the future: Interstate 60, where the roadtrip movie takes a very enjoyable turn for the bizarre and satyrical.
Lyle

My penis is huge

Ballkicks: (+243 / -48)
Reply 18 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-24-04 03:14:47 PM)

Leon: The Professional

This is, hands down, one of my favourite movies of all time. When my friend first suggested it to me, I wasn't really interested in it. However, since I worked at a movie store at the time, I figured that I'd give it a go.

I thought it would be your run-of-the-mill shoot 'em up movie, and although the action sequences are awesome, there is more to the plot than just that. It's so interesting to see how this man, who knows nothing but how to kill, deals with letting someone else into his confidence. Like Jamers said, you know he is craving human companionship, no matter how much he denies it.

What can I say? Jean Reno and Natalie Portman are fucking awesome. The action, the plot, the drama, it's all perfect and it all works together to create a fantastic movie.

As for future movies, I would suggest 'The Believer.'
Pascal
The Alpha Nerd

I love you, but why must you love the law?

Ballkicks: (+419 / -41)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 19 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-24-04 05:04:45 PM)

I also have to recommend Battle Royale.
Yogi
INTL Premium Member
The Hero of Canton

Reply 20 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-24-04 06:04:49 PM)

Hmm, recieved my 3 other DVD's today, but no City of God. Prolly here tomorrow.

I would reccomend Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Lyle

My penis is huge

Ballkicks: (+243 / -48)
Reply 21 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-24-04 06:23:57 PM)

Quoted from Pascal:

That's still banned in the US, isn't it? To buy, I mean.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 22 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-24-04 08:12:41 PM)

Quoted from Lyle:
Quoted from Pascal:

That's still banned in the US, isn't it? To buy, I mean.
According to IMDB, it's just a myth that BR is banned in the States:
Quote:
Despite the popular belief that Battle Royale has been banned in the United States, that's not the case. The production company, Toei, refuses to license the movie for North American distribution and has already rejected offers from several North American companies.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266308/trivia

I don't care though, I have a Region 0 DVD of the director's cut.
No.
EscalatorToHell

elusive and illustrious

Ballkicks: (+177 / -80)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 23 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-25-04 10:33:01 AM)

The City of God

Wow, well, I was a bit skeptical at first about the movie. I had never heard of it, and the plot didn't really hook me when reading about it.

I loved the story telling. It was all pieced together very nicely and, though it seemed to jump around a lot at the beginning, the movie got into a very nice rhythm after the first 20 minutes or so. The little titles in white font were a nice touch to keep things from getting too confusing.

The amount of violence accepted in the City of God was shocking as hell. In the first few minutes of the film, there's adolescents running around, brandishing pistols and such. And then the Runts come into the picture... When they were all sitting in that little corner talking about how they wanted to take over just like Li'l Ze did, my mouth dropped. The fact that they're exposed to such violence and disregard for life early on was both depressing and enraging.

It's really intriguing how fast the children seem to "grow up" in the City of God. Li'l Ze couldn't have been older than 18 when he was the boss of the city.

My favorite quote is: "I smoke, I snort. I've killed and robbed. I'm a man." It sums up how respect is gained and what a fucked up mindset these kids have after growing up in the City of God.
<ib> I'LL FUCKING TAZE YOU BITCH
<ib> PUT THE MUFFINS DOWN
<ib> PUT THEM DOWN BITCH
Fisher
INTL Premium Member
jhsdfi;loiha

Fishdick

Ballkicks: (+439 / -139)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 24 of 59 (Originally posted on: 06-25-04 03:46:22 PM)

I was also extremely skeptical on City of God, but after my friend made me watch it, I thought it was awesome. I'll keep from repeating everything ETH said.

And if you want City of God - Go to Best Buy, because they should have a ton of copies. (As of a couple weeks ago)
rchif0: pick normal sluts from now on k?
AnIronFish: yeah thanks for the tip big bro
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 10133 | Total Posts: 59 ]