Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Serious Discussions: Too serious to have a double entendre in the title > physics of light > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 ] [ Thread Views: 9587 | Total Posts: 24 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Nanogasm

Ballkicks: (+0 / -0)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
(Originally posted on: 07-27-02 01:30:22 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I was thinking... if you took two movie projectors, each with their own movie screen, but you positioned the projectors so that the light beam of each projector's movie intersects each other.....what would be displayed on each screen?
peach
I get enamoured

Just call me "Mom"

Ballkicks: (+735 / -175)
Reply 1 of 24 (Originally posted on: 07-27-02 01:40:46 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

i'm pretty sure the screens showing the projected light would be the same. this is like, if you have an orange light in your room, and a white lightbulb as well. when you cast a shadow with your hand from the white light, the shadow is orange. light doesn't interfere with itself, it always travels in straight lines. if you take two flashlights and make them face a similar direction so that thier paths cross, they will still have the same pattern of light as they did without the other flashlight.

that's what i would assume anyway, maybe i misinterpreted your post.
buck futter!
NNY
Alcoholics Anonymous
Forum Drunkard

Staying in alone, with my cat.

Ballkicks: (+666 / -76)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 2 of 24 (Originally posted on: 07-27-02 04:01:29 AM)

neither projection or beam of light would affect the other.
Taking your own life with boredom,
I'm taking my own life with wine -
it helps you to rule out the sorrow,
it helps me to empty my mind
Making the most of a bad time

Reg. Date: Dec 1969
Reply 3 of 24 (Originally posted on: 07-27-02 05:38:46 PM)

NNY got it. (my first 1 line reply in SD)
Guru

Ballkicks: (+66 / -21)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 4 of 24 (Originally posted on: 07-28-02 12:24:38 AM)

Quote:
light doesn't interfere with itself, it always travels in straight lines.

Not true. Like all waves, light interferes with itself. This can be seen in the double slit expieriment. If you're unfamiliar with this, if you shine a single light source at a piece of paper with two slits in it, and have a second screen behind the paper, you will see the interference pattern.

Here is the set-up.

"And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit.
For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow." Ecc 1:17-18
ice wolverine
Global Moderator

Gay Turtle and Ass

Ballkicks: (+1764 / -130)
Reply 5 of 24 (Originally posted on: 07-28-02 02:13:14 AM)

I'm pretty sure that's a different situation.
"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"
"Pissing in the frozen food section and watching it steam up? Oh yeah."
Lovely Insanity

Insane Love

Ballkicks: (+126 / -35)
Reply 6 of 24 (Originally posted on: 07-28-02 02:15:59 AM)

Wouldn't that be because it was a round light? Try using a flat light, as on a projector.

I dunno... made sense in my head.
How much can YOU handle?
peach
I get enamoured

Just call me "Mom"

Reply 7 of 24 (Originally posted on: 07-28-02 02:17:19 AM)

light always, always travels in straight lines... i *did* take physics.
buck futter!
Lovely Insanity

Insane Love

Ballkicks: (+126 / -35)
Reply 8 of 24 (Originally posted on: 07-28-02 02:24:01 AM)

I didn't mean the light was going in a round line....
Um... I can't explain. Here, jump into my head, walk around, and see what i see.
How much can YOU handle?
peach
I get enamoured

Just call me "Mom"

Reply 9 of 24 (Originally posted on: 07-28-02 03:14:44 AM)

nah, i knew what you meant, i wasn't talking about you
i meant what someone else said

i know you meant like a bulb that instead of a round bulb, it should be demonstrated by something that is partially blocked, as a projector.
buck futter!
Guru

Ballkicks: (+66 / -21)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 10 of 24 (Originally posted on: 07-28-02 03:40:05 AM)

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that's a different situation.

It is, but I was just showing that light *does* interfere with itself.

Quote:
light always, always travels in straight lines

In the same sense that waves travel in straight lines, yes.
"And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit.
For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow." Ecc 1:17-18
Nanogasm

Reply 11 of 24 (Originally posted on: 07-28-02 02:50:25 PM)

Interesting. I myself didn't know the answer. From what I know of light, which is very little, every colour has its own wave length. I wonder if wavelength matters. For example, if you took two white lights and intersected their paths, would it have the same result as a blue light crossing a red light's path?

The way I see it, when a light of one colour hits a light of the same or another colour, it can do one or more of the following: Pass straight through it with no effect, pass through with decay to its wavelength, bend, reflect or absorb.
peach
I get enamoured

Just call me "Mom"

Reply 12 of 24 (Originally posted on: 07-28-02 03:00:13 PM)

well here, i'll try to remember what i know from a few years ago when i took this subject.

ok, lets say you have a blue light, and you project it against a wall. then you take a yellow light and project it against the same wall, what color does it make? green? no way. it makes ...ok, i don't remember exactly. this shows sort of what i mean

[EDITED FOR BANDWIDTH LEECHING!]

yeah, colors in light have a whole different sort of physics than paint.
even if you have a blue wall and shine a yellow light on it it makes a different color (again, i don't remember exactly what it makes, i just remember the whole theory) anyway, yeah, it makes a different color because yellow can only reflect certain colors. white reflects all colors, and black absorbs all colors.

EDIT: light can bend when it's going through a specific medium. such as water... or something like that
buck futter!
This reply was last edited on 05-17-03 05:03:21 PM by Sunhasrahla.
sprUceWOLF
I LIKE TO REPORT RETARDATION STATION POTS!!!

" ...pots?" - Posts you silly.

Ballkicks: (+10 / -68)
Reg. Date: May 2003
Reply 13 of 24 (Originally posted on: 05-16-03 08:40:20 PM)

I'm just as much into discussing concepts as the next person, but why doesn't someone just get two projectors and TRY IT and see what happens???
ice wolverine
Global Moderator

Gay Turtle and Ass

Ballkicks: (+1764 / -130)
Reply 14 of 24 (Originally posted on: 05-17-03 01:35:02 PM)

Because we don't need to.
I mean for real this time, or at least just kinda try!
bicentennialman

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+29 / -16)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 15 of 24 (Originally posted on: 05-21-03 08:31:06 AM)

I don't think:
Light bends when it interactw with light. Does sounds bend when it inteacts with other sound waves, even though they are different types of waves?

And the colors you get when you cross blue and yellow lights is cyan, and red and blue is magenta, and red and yellow is...something else.
Dammit, I can't remember.

This is different than the double slit experiments, becasue in teh case that the original question is about, the light isn't interacting with a physical object, just another set of electromagnetic waves.
Unless you care to debate the physical nature of light? (I can't do that, I'm not knowledgeable enough).
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 16 of 24 (Originally posted on: 05-21-03 04:56:06 PM)

Actually, gravity can effect light. Look at black holes, they have gravitational fields that are so strong that light can't escape. As for the projector thing... We did that in science 2 years ago, the 2 didn't interfere with each other.
~British Agent
"There are two improtant rules to being a successful spy:
Number One - Never tell anyone everything you know."
Jesuß
INTL Premium Member
Healing America by Beating People Up

It's "erroneous," you uptight fairy.

Ballkicks: (+137 / -34)
Reply 17 of 24 (Originally posted on: 05-21-03 07:39:54 PM)

Quoted from sprUceWOLF:
I'm just as much into discussing concepts as the next person, but why doesn't someone just get two projectors and TRY IT and see what happens???

You missed the point of it entirely. We're like the ancient philosophers like Aristotle and people like that, who just thought up things and never needed to go check them because we just KNEW that they were true.

Oh wait, Aristotle believed in spotanious generation.

Nevermind.
Jesuß
INTL Premium Member

Reply 18 of 24 (Originally posted on: 05-21-03 07:43:23 PM)

Oh, and

BCM: Yes, sound does interfere with other soundwaves. If you have two speakers projecting the sound at the same frequency, but one has a phase shift forward or back one half the wavelength (and the two sounds have the same amplitude), you shouldn't hear anything as the waves cancel out.

The problem with the double slit experiment is that light can act as both a particle and a wave, situtation dependant. In addition, the double slit experiment really has more to do with quantom physics and Heisenberg's uncertainty principle than with the exact nature of light.

BA: Gravity doesn't bend light. Gravity bends spacetime, and light simply travels along the plane (bent plane maybe) of spacetime.
Critical Acclaim for Jesus:
Why, oh, why must you be gay? - Vervet
Isn't he adorable - Cyanide
Jesus, you know you're cool. - Tyr
AND THEN I THOUGHT MAYBE I'LL HAVE SEX WITH JESUS. - Tyr
Jesus looks pretty h0t. - Flaming Arrow
your numbero uno on my list when I turn. - Mingan

Don't like my driv... er... signature? Call this number!
icewyvern

Frozen Turds

Ballkicks: (+61 / -14)
Reply 19 of 24 (Originally posted on: 05-22-03 04:05:54 AM)

What Jesus said about gravity. Light is still travelling in a 'straight' line, in the geodesic/non-Euclidean sense.

I think Young's experiment does not simply show that photons can act as both particles and waves. It shows that they DO act as both particles and waves. Your comment about HUP with regards to this is spot-on.
It isn't like the first day of Genesis, where the Secretary of Defence waves his hand over Iraq and says "Let there be democracy." - Leon Fuerth

Life Sucks.

Raven

Ballkicks: (+9 / -8)
Reg. Date: May 2003
Reply 20 of 24 (Originally posted on: 05-22-03 01:41:57 PM)

Quoted from peach:

EXCEPT:

when passing close to a blackhole...then light WILL bend, seeing that this is how we find blackholes...

when passing through anything that causes resistance to the speed of light such as the glass in a prism, water...that is how we see rainbows and can separate the color spectrum...if light didn't bend, we couldn't do this

Administrator - NwA
Special Administrator - FusEdFxp
Super Moderator - CE Muza Evolution 1337, CyberEye
Private Member - Wf-Fxp
Member - KopyKatz

"The meaning of life is simple...
...Loyalty"
Science Brad
INTL Premium Member
sigh

Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.

Ballkicks: (+288 / -77)
Reply 21 of 24 (Originally posted on: 05-22-03 07:24:50 PM)

the simple answer to your question is: It depends on what angle you have the two beams intersecting and how far apart they are from each other. Certain times will create destructive interference and greatly destroy a lot of the images, other cases would be constructive and in certain places enhance the intensity. Everything else inbetween. At 90 degrees, there will be more or less no interference really.
Tidus

Panda power!

Ballkicks: (+18 / -29)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 22 of 24 (Originally posted on: 07-11-03 01:13:54 PM)

jesus got it just right,
"Alchohol, Helping ugly people have sex since the dawn of time"
http://quiz.ravenblack.net/blood.pl?biter=Arcros please join the vampire movement.
http://rpg.samuraiwar.com/page.php?x=25848 please join the ninja movement.
a member of SftP (Sporks for the People)
Jesuß
INTL Premium Member

Reply 23 of 24 (Originally posted on: 07-13-03 09:24:24 PM)

Quoted from Raven:
Quoted from peach:

EXCEPT:

when passing close to a blackhole...then light WILL bend, seeing that this is how we find blackholes...

when passing through anything that causes resistance to the speed of light such as the glass in a prism, water...that is how we see rainbows and can separate the color spectrum...if light didn't bend, we couldn't do this

See reply #18, bottom section.
Science Brad
INTL Premium Member
sigh

Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.

Ballkicks: (+288 / -77)
Reply 24 of 24 (Originally posted on: 07-17-03 12:05:04 AM)

Well, technically the light still travels a null geodesic, and so it is still staight as defined by the light's metric.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 9587 | Total Posts: 24 ]