Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Dimi what are your experiences regarding the gerrymandering case? > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 228 | Total Posts: 27 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
ice wolverine
Global Moderator

Gay Turtle and Ass

Ballkicks: (+1764 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 25 of 27 (Originally posted on: 03-09-18 09:48:37 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I guess that's reflected in the statistic, you're right
D
Champagne Roomies

POUR MILK DOWN MY THROAT WHILE I LOB THIS GRENADE

Ballkicks: (+1936 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 26 of 27 (Originally posted on: 03-09-18 11:45:23 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Quote:
In Pennsylvania Republicans won 54% of the vote and 72% of the seats.

And in 2012 Republicans won 48.7% but won 72% of seats.

Quote:
part of the problem for me is that's a little challenging to try and visualize what the perfect system would look like.

This is basically what the supreme court decided when a case against the PA districting went to them in the early 2000s, which set a precedent of saying "since we don't know any better way to do this, we can't tell anyone they're doing it wrong." Ok, nobody knows of a perfect way (which leads me to think the whole district system is a bad idea), but that's a terrible reason to not to fight really egregious gerrymandering. The PA districts in the maps I posted above are actually worse than those that were challenged and dismissed by the supreme court. I wonder what gave them the confidence to go hog-wild when the next redistricting opportunity came up?
balls
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 27 of 27 (Originally posted on: 03-10-18 04:59:40 AM)

John Oliver did a breakdown on this that outlined that some of the "worst" districts are actually created to minority friendly districts.

Engaging in a though experiment here, I would say that a better system would be to divy up the total number of seats by the % of the popular vote each party received and then maybe award those seats and then you would select the candidates by way of regional primaries and then create ranked list of candidates based on how many popular votes they received in their district during the general election? Does that seem like madness?
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 228 | Total Posts: 27 ]