Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > What shows are you watching these days? > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] [ Thread Views: 7147 | Total Posts: 136 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 03-11-12 09:12:06 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

When they're being produced, I watch Breaking Bad, Dexter, South Park, and Futurama. I think all are in the off-season right now.

I recently watched the first (and only) two seasons of Boardwalk Empire, which is a really good show. It's like The Wire but in the 1920s. I finished that so I started watching Sons of Anarchy, which is about a motorcycle gang. I just finished the second season. It's pretty good as well.
"ztolk it seems like all you do is watch videos of muscular people vomiting"
-ice
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 1 of 136 (Originally posted on: 03-11-12 09:42:15 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Community. That's basically it. Sometimes i'll try to catch up on How I Met Your Mother and Up All Night. Occasionally i'll watch New Girl because the main girl is pretty (the show isn't very good but it's watchable). I'll also keep up with Bill Maher's show when I get a chance.

Really Community is the only show I care about. I can (and do) watch every episode over and over and over again. Can't wait for Thursday at last.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 2 of 136 (Originally posted on: 03-11-12 10:21:13 PM)

I have a DVR and usually watch TV for thirty minutes to two hours a night (depending) so my schedule goes something like this:

Top Tier Shows:
1. Mad Men
2. Boardwalk Empire
3. Community
4. The Soup
5. House

Second Tier Shows:
4. NBC Thursday Comedies (30 rock, the office, parks and recreation)
6. The Daily Show
7. The Colbert Report

If there's nothing else:
8. The Daily Show
9. The Colbert Report
10. Saturday Night Live

My wife loves cop procedurals but I kind of hate them. I love one hour scripted comedies but too much continuity gets tedious for me so while there's a lot of HBO and Showtime shows I really like (Breaking Bad, Dexter) I can't really bring myself to watch a lot of them at once.

House on the other hand has the episodic nature of the cases they take on to keep my interest up with just some continuity carrying over. Lately it's been more it seems.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 3 of 136 (Originally posted on: 03-12-12 05:40:30 AM)

I watch Community, Parks and Rec, Modern Family, and sometimes The Office. I also watch the Daily Show every day but it's a little different. My roommates and I are gradually making our way through the Wire, but I've already seen it once.

edit: Also one of my roommates like to watch New Girl and I've watched a couple with her, but really the only reason is because of that hottie indian girl on it. Damn.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 4 of 136 (Originally posted on: 03-12-12 06:23:30 AM)

Justified on FX. How are you guys not watching Justified?
"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame the gays than let orphans have families."
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 5 of 136 (Originally posted on: 03-12-12 07:20:20 AM)

is it funny? And don't you guys like Modern Family? Those cans
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Reply 6 of 136 (Originally posted on: 03-12-12 07:37:19 AM)

It's not a comedy, although it's pretty damn funny consistently. It's on FX.
"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame the gays than let orphans have families."
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 7 of 136 (Originally posted on: 03-12-12 04:32:06 PM)

I religiously watch Community and 30 Rock. Community is probably the best show on tv right now. I religiously watch Doctor Who. You should too. (You should really read that link, as well as everything else that guy writes, if you are at all interested in film or other media.) I watch Louie when it's in season - it's an excellent show, especially the second season. I watch South Park when it's in season, but it is very hit-or-miss in terms of quality. Same with Curb Your Enthusiasm. I watch Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations, too - it has its flaws, but it's a show that has actually influenced me a lot.

I watch The Daily Show/Colbert intermittently - I enjoy them, but I don't always have time to watch them. I sometimes catch Top Chef, too, just too look at tasty food.

I watch The Walking Dead, but I'm getting pretty bored with it lately. Might stop watching it. I used to watch The Office, but stopped watching it because it sucks enormously. I watch Dexter (obviously not now, as it is in the off season), but it's getting to be pretty terribly written so I might give up on it as well.

I'm also slowly watching all the old Stargate shows with my girlfriend on Netflix. I've already seen them all, but it's a good escapism show. We're also working through all of David Attenborough's various "Life" miniseries.

I've never watched Mad Men, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, Modern Family or Parks and Rec, but intend to catch up with those from the beginning in the near future. I also intend to watch Bourdain's new show, The Layover.
this is where i write about alcohol these are restaurants i like
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like these are books i like

This reply was last edited on 03-12-12 04:55:53 PM by emtilt.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 8 of 136 (Originally posted on: 03-12-12 09:12:13 PM)

What's Community about?
"ztolk it seems like all you do is watch videos of muscular people vomiting"
-ice
D
Administrator

Reply 9 of 136 (Originally posted on: 03-12-12 10:19:15 PM)

The premise is 7 different somewhat archetypal (but not really) characters go to community college together and form a study group and become friends. The beauty is in the execution though. I hate using this term because it sounds so elitist - but it's a smart comedy. Not meaning that you need to be a genius to get it, or that the humor is about smart things (Big Bang Theory - dumb humor about smart things), just that they don't take easy jokes. Basically to me most TV comedies all seem the same, even if I enjoy them. I like How I Met Your Mother, but at heart it's the same thing as half a dozen other TV shows on right now. Community is unique and bold. One episode is a Cowboy Western/Star Wars homage set inside of a school-wide paintball game - and the next episode takes place entirely in one room and the sole driving point is that someone can't find their pen. One is an epic action adventure, the other is totally character driven - both are brilliant and hilarious. They have a lot of really cool spoof style episodes (along with the Spaghetti Western and Star Wars episodes, they do a twilight-zone-esque episode, zombie episode, Mafia/Bronx Tale, and more come to mind), but as fun as that aspect is it isn't really even close to being the best part. Nor are their numerous musical numbers. I think it's that they never insult the audience with cheap/easy 'live studio audience' style jokes, and in the midst of all the jokes and nonsense, they manage to deal with some pretty serious shit and take you aside and have real human moments.

Also I don't like the term smart humor because I feel like it implies a lack of sillyness or crude humor. Definitely not true - one of the best lines is a guy saying "I have the weirdest boner." The show is extremely silly.
D
Administrator

Reply 10 of 136 (Originally posted on: 03-12-12 10:28:53 PM)

Here's one of my favorite gags. The guy thinks he may be about to meet his estranged father but is trying to look like he doesn't care - the girl is trying to help him figure out what to do.

(the show isn't normally a documentary format, but they have done a couple episodes where the episode is seen through the documentarian lens of one of the characters.)

Since i'm on youtube, here are a bunch of short funny clips as I come across them:

none of these do the show justice, but they're short and enjoyable.
This reply was last edited on 03-12-12 10:49:32 PM by D.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 11 of 136 (Originally posted on: 03-13-12 12:30:53 AM)

Game of Thrones! Workaholics, Shameless (US), Dexter, The Walking Dead, New Girl, Suburgatory, Spy, Family Guy, The Daily Show, 30 Rock, Community, Parks & Rec, The Office, ARCHER!, some TrueBlood here and there, Boardwalk Empire, Venture Bros., Modern Family.

Prolly some others.
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 12 of 136 (Originally posted on: 03-13-12 12:53:00 AM)

Re: Community:

In addition to all the stuff that Dimi said, they pull all of that off while creating genuine character development with great empathy and storytelling - it isn't just a series of jokes.

As you probably gathered from Dimi, they use a great many allusions to other media (ranging from Star Wars to Synechdoche NY), but it isn't just lip service to get you to go 'oh hey i get that reference,' it is used to enhance the themes of the episodes. Further adding to that, one of the characters is kinda socially dysfunctional and falls back on relating to things through film and TV - in a sense, he's aware off his condition as a sitcom character, which adds a level of film/TV commentary to the show. It's all very well done.

It can be slightly hard to get into, though. The first few episodes are kinda slow, and it takes about half a season for it to really click with you. Plus you have to watch all of the episodes in order. Those factors are probably why the ratings aren't doing great MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS

EDIT: Also, here's the awesome trailer for the second half of the present season:

this is where i write about alcohol these are restaurants i like
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like these are books i like

This reply was last edited on 03-13-12 01:15:50 AM by emtilt.
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 13 of 136 (Originally posted on: 03-14-12 06:19:28 AM)

Quoted from It Wasn't Me:
Community. That's basically it. Sometimes i'll try to catch up on How I Met Your Mother and Up All Night. Occasionally i'll watch New Girl because the main girl is pretty (the show isn't very good but it's watchable). I'll also keep up with Bill Maher's show when I get a chance.

Really Community is the only show I care about. I can (and do) watch every episode over and over and over again. Can't wait for Thursday at last.

How can you watch that condescending peice of shit?
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Reply 14 of 136 (Originally posted on: 03-14-12 06:25:21 AM)

I watched him when I was TDY in Kansas City last week and the hotel got HBO. He wasn't my cup of tea.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 15 of 136 (Originally posted on: 03-14-12 06:53:24 AM)

the Community episode about alternate timelines was my favorite
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 16 of 136 (Originally posted on: 03-14-12 06:53:54 AM)

rename this thread INTL Community Community
D
Administrator

Reply 17 of 136 (Originally posted on: 03-14-12 08:51:30 AM)

It's a miracle Bill Maher still has a show, because any time i've ever mentioned his name, someone always jumps in to tell me how much they hate the guy. And it doesn't matter what the political leanings are, it seems everyone hates that guy.

Personally I don't see what's so repulsive about him, he's no more condescending or sure of his opinion than anyone else who talks about politics. The thing I value most in a political discussion is humbleness - which he doesn't have nor does anyone else on TV.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 18 of 136 (Originally posted on: 03-14-12 12:32:46 PM)

I'm with you Dimi. I don't watch the show but I don't really see what the problem is. Political punditry is just one of those professions.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 19 of 136 (Originally posted on: 03-14-12 12:33:18 PM)

Also this:

Quoted from loudpack masterchef:
rename this thread INTL Community Community
D
Administrator

Reply 20 of 136 (Originally posted on: 03-14-12 02:05:59 PM)

Agreed. And to add another note about what emtilt said about Community (which I almost completely agree with), i'm not sure you need to "catch up" before watching. The first episode back is tomorrow, and yeah it will be a "spoiler" for previous seasons, and the characters are grown a lot from how they started, but I don't think that will hurt any. You'll enjoy it a lot more if you were to have seen the whole series up until now, but I think fresh eyes can enjoy it too. Normally i'm completely averse to any spoilers, but this show doesn't isn't good or bad because of it's story archs, they just serve as a venue for all the other good stuff.
Yogi
INTL Premium Member
The Hero of Canton

check out my color filters

Ballkicks: (+129 / -58)
Reg. Date: Mar 2003
Reply 21 of 136 (Originally posted on: 03-15-12 07:54:36 AM)

Californication
The Walking Dead
House
Fringe
How I Met Your Mother

Sporadically watch Daily Show and Colbert Report
The Big Deal
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 22 of 136 (Originally posted on: 03-16-12 11:33:37 AM)

Just finished catching up on Archer on Netflix (and other means). It is hilarious. And my copy of the companion book "How to Archer" is in the mail and should be here on Monday! Woo hoo! Danger zone!
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 23 of 136 (Originally posted on: 03-17-12 09:41:17 AM)

Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, Fringe, United States of Tara. I just started Breaking Bad, and so far I love it.
Buy me a drink. Buy me a drink. I'm better than you are but not as good as I think.
D
Administrator

Reply 24 of 136 (Originally posted on: 03-18-12 01:05:37 AM)

I watched US of Tara on Netflix not long ago, I enjoyed it.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 7147 | Total Posts: 136 ]