Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > The Arena: Bunch of dudes talking about balls > 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] [ Thread Views: 13064 | Total Posts: 120 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
(Originally posted on: 06-11-10 09:19:24 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Yes, you're going to talk about football and you're going to like it.

It's just started, and the host South Africa tied with Mexico (1-1). Tonight (local time) it'll be France's turn, against Uruguay.

Are you guys going to watch it? How do you think it'll go? Who's gonna take it? Brazil? Argentina? Spain? Germany? Italy? etc etc. I don't know, just talk, OK?

So, I didn't manage to catch the whole game, but I was pretty impressed with South Africa. Aside from France, their group is not terribly tough, so they could make it if they beat Uruguay. Should be interesting.
Zippo: oh man you are a genius
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 120 (Originally posted on: 06-11-10 11:20:26 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Listening to it while at work today.
D
Administrator

Reply 2 of 120 (Originally posted on: 06-11-10 01:24:34 PM)

I couldn't pay too much attention obviously, but the France vs. Uruguay game was pretty boring. Except maybe Uruguay's defense, it felt like everyone played sloppy.

Last few minutes were interesting.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Reply 3 of 120 (Originally posted on: 06-11-10 01:51:47 PM)

I couldn't watch it. Shitty Spanish TV only broadcasts one game per day, I think.

Does any of you guys watch it online somewhere? Any tips would be appreciated.

Anyway, from what I've read that was a pretty disappointing showing by France. Although I suppose no one should expect much from them, especially as long as Domenech keeps coaching them.
D
Administrator

Reply 4 of 120 (Originally posted on: 06-11-10 01:56:51 PM)

All the games are broadcast online here at espn3.com. I dunno if you can access that or not form Spain.

I'm sure the illegal streams are all over as well.
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reply 5 of 120 (Originally posted on: 06-11-10 02:21:58 PM)

Quote:
Anyway, from what I've read that was a pretty disappointing showing by France. Although I suppose no one should expect much from them, especially as long as Domenech keeps coaching them.

France will get through, 0-0 in the first match isn't too bad.

Their attack and coach suck, but they have a solid defense and a good enough team.

Brazil wins the world cup.
Brazils defense is amazing: Lucio, Juan, Maicon/Alves, left-back is a slight weakness though.

Their attacking players aren't nearly as good as they have been in previous years, but they have solid tactics and with that strong defense, they'll find enough goals to win most of their matches.
They've won 2 of the latest 4 world cups and been in another final match mostly by being defensively strong with good tactics, and they'll do it again.

Apart from Brazil, the other big favourite is Spain, with the best attack and passing game the world has seen possibly since Brazil in the 1970s.

Argentina would be up there with Spain and Brazil if Maradona wasn't a crazy cocaine fiend, but sadly (or hilariously), he is.
DRAHNIER
This reply was last edited on 06-11-10 02:34:53 PM by drahnier.
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reply 6 of 120 (Originally posted on: 06-11-10 02:21:59 PM)

Edit: double post.
DRAHNIER
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 7 of 120 (Originally posted on: 06-11-10 03:11:03 PM)

Uruguay and France really went at it today. Never seen such fury.
"you look bigger on facebook"
-Amphy
D
Administrator

Reply 8 of 120 (Originally posted on: 06-11-10 03:49:31 PM)

Really? All I saw was flat play on both ends of the ball from both teams. There were some moments, but most of them were so flubbed that they weren't even that exciting.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 9 of 120 (Originally posted on: 06-12-10 09:31:08 AM)

-Amphy
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Reply 10 of 120 (Originally posted on: 06-12-10 10:50:04 AM)

Sorry, we can't tell whether you're sarcastic or just an ignorant North American!

(Dimi you don't count, you're 100% Greek when it comes to football)

Anyway, England-USA! Should be interesting. I have a feeling that England will do well in this tournament (contrary to what reason is telling me), but for some reason I still predicted a draw in a game over at OD. I've always had a soft spot for the USA ever since the 1994 World Cup (Lalas! Wynalda! Tab Ramos! Coby Jones! Meola! Those guys rocked).

I'm still trying to set up a proxy or something to be able to watch anything god damn it. I couldn't get ESPNPlayer to work, I just see tons of cricket and hockey and American football games.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 11 of 120 (Originally posted on: 06-12-10 10:23:21 PM)

I wore an England jersey today and went to a bar to watch the game. I'm not an England fan but I have the shirts. On two occasions I had crazy old men come up to me and talk to me about England and its history and geography. That goal that the English goalie let in was...embarrassing.
-Amphy
D
Administrator

Reply 12 of 120 (Originally posted on: 06-13-10 01:49:17 AM)

So Greece lost, that sucked. I only saw the 2nd half (fucking 7:30 on a sat. morning? thats hard), but contrary to what every announcer said I thought they looked pretty good (from what I saw, which was past the 60th minute). Not great, but they were getting a lot of chances. Even though they weren't making plays to make it into the middle, they were getting it into the middle time and time again and getting some power behind the ball. Though they shanked most of them pretty bad.

The USA England game was awesome.

The Philadelphia Union stadium is just finishing up construction now, and they invited all the season ticket holders to come check out the stadium today, get autographs, and hang out to see the USA game on the big screen - which I did all of. It was awesome, the stadium looks great and the game was really fun. Can't lie, it was hard to pay too close attention on the jumbotron (wasn't really that jumbo) so I missed a lot, but it was still tons of fun watching it with a bunch of soccer fans in the brand new stadium. Great draw for the US.
neon

is going to post her bus stop here tomorrow, and we will love it.

Ballkicks: (+210 / -43)
Reg. Date: Apr 2005
Reply 13 of 120 (Originally posted on: 06-13-10 07:50:45 AM)

Those noise makers are the worst. Whoever decided they wouldn't be banned really needed a bullet through the brain. They are SO obnoxious.

The Greece S Korea game was fantastic, Korea were great.

My goodness. Robert Green. I would actually cry for a year if I did that. Knowing the USA drew with you because you fucked this up:

ouch. I think you mean lucky draw for the US, Dimi.

Australia v Germany is on tonight at 4.30am...I'm only 4 hours away from watching it live. It's also mid exam time...So I am compromising by studying until then although I don't know how much will stick. My boyfriend has bet money on Germany! What a jerk.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 14 of 120 (Originally posted on: 06-13-10 08:06:28 AM)

-Amphy
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Reply 15 of 120 (Originally posted on: 06-13-10 09:17:24 AM)

Knowing how the English press is, I wouldn't want to be in Green's shoes. They always have their scapegoat. It's weird how England hasn't had a good goalkeeper for as long as I've been watching football. The closest thing might be David Seaman, and that's saying A LOT.

I love Donovan, even though he wasn't that great yesterday.

As for Australia-Germany, the Krauts shouldn't have much of a problem. Sorry neon.

Anyway, "World Cup Shocker"? Calling a tie a win? Those guys don't have much faith in their team, do they? That's a shame, they're a pretty solid team all things considered.
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1305 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 16 of 120 (Originally posted on: 06-13-10 10:49:17 AM)

The USA/England game seemed kind of sloppy to me. I liked watching Argentina vs. Nigeria. Messi could have had 4 or 5 goals to his name with a bit of luck. The possession game with good, organized, creative, attacks is far more interesting to me than the disorganized scrambles, although they increase the pace on some level.

Serbia vs. Ghana was a remarkably dull and defensive game. Looking forward to Germany and Australia this afternoon.
how is this for a quote
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 17 of 120 (Originally posted on: 06-13-10 02:26:36 PM)

I think calling a tie a win was a combination of 3 things:

1. England was expected to win
2. I don't think too many people have realized soccer has become much bigger in the US than it was even a decade ago, and that the players have gotten better as well.
3. It's assumed they'll now survive to the elimination round no problem, considering that a "win"
D
Administrator

Reply 18 of 120 (Originally posted on: 06-13-10 05:29:24 PM)

Here is a Vuvuzela instruction manual, incase anyone was confused about their usage:

IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 19 of 120 (Originally posted on: 06-13-10 05:54:17 PM)

neon

is going to post her bus stop here tomorrow, and we will love it.

Ballkicks: (+210 / -43)
Reg. Date: Apr 2005
Reply 20 of 120 (Originally posted on: 06-13-10 06:10:22 PM)

Oh, 4-0. I wasn't really expecting a win, but that?

WAH
D
Administrator

Reply 21 of 120 (Originally posted on: 06-13-10 07:03:32 PM)

IF0, you lost me at Tony Danza.

Germany looked really good today (though I only saw the 1st half)
jimmy
Selber Schuld, kein Mitleid

I am really bad at giving custom titles and, well, the internet in general tbqh

Ballkicks: (+506 / -233)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 22 of 120 (Originally posted on: 06-14-10 01:32:08 AM)

France blames vuvuzelas for draw with Uruguay
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Reply 23 of 120 (Originally posted on: 06-14-10 01:38:12 PM)

Quoted from awkward jimmy:
France blames vuvuzelas for draw with Uruguay

As we all know, vuvuzelas are common in Uruguay. Way to go, France.

Ok, they're annoying, but I don't know why everybody's making such a fuss about them. You get used to them eventually, they're a much more acceptable part of a local football culture than, say, motorbike-tossing Italian hooligans, and ironically most of the noise comes from foreign fans using them.

Italy and Paraguay just drawed (1-1). Very unimpressive, those Italians. What's worse, their team doesn't look all that good on paper either. Still, their group is a joke so they'll go through as usual.

Cameroon was very disappointing. They're not a team. Japan are decent as always, and that was enough to win.

The Netherlands were alright, but barely.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 24 of 120 (Originally posted on: 06-14-10 01:41:43 PM)

Wow the 'guays are really tying it up this year.
-Amphy
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 13064 | Total Posts: 120 ]