Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Linux Corner: computers for something other than windows? WHAT > Elder Scrolls: Oblivion > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 7563 | Total Posts: 46 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Ballkicks: (+192 / -38)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
(Originally posted on: 02-07-06 12:58:56 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

So i'm sure many of you have heard of the new Elder Scrolls game, Oblivion. The previous game in the series, Morrowind, was incredible and blew my mind. Hours would go by without blinking or even moving. I'm anticipating Oblivion to send my social life into the depths of Oblivion never to be recovered again till i haved explored every part of the game. Is anyone else as excited as I am? Do you think the game will live up to its expectation? And what are some of your favorite new features of the game?
Wherever the Speakers meet the Sneakers.....thats where you can always find me.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 1 of 46 (Originally posted on: 02-07-06 01:06:34 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Quote:
Recommended:

* 3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
* 1 GB System RAM
* ATI X800 series, Nvidia GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card

Minimum System Requirements:

* Windows XP
* 512MB System RAM
* 2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
* 128MB Direct3D compatible video card and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;
* 8x DVD-ROM drive
* 4.6 GB free hard disk space
* DirectX 9.0c (included)
* DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
* Keyboard, Mouse

I don't see me getting to find out any time soon.
People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are, mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find nave, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.
SNR

dude that's byc's avvy get your own okay thanks

Ballkicks: (+4 / -10)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 2 of 46 (Originally posted on: 02-07-06 03:45:37 PM)

I'm in the same boat as Chimp regarding the specs. The game looks absolutely brilliant, but theres no way my gaming rig can cope with it.
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Reply 3 of 46 (Originally posted on: 02-08-06 02:28:43 PM)

yea, thats why i'm probably going to be getting an xbox 360. just so i can play oblivion, and also halo 3.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Reply 4 of 46 (Originally posted on: 02-08-06 02:36:37 PM)

Have they announced Halo 3 yet?
People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are, mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find nave, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 5 of 46 (Originally posted on: 02-08-06 05:08:18 PM)

Quoted from Chimp:
Nothing official yet, you can bet it's going to be awesome though.
This signature is only a temporary replacement for something that is actually funny.

nevermind, this is permanent
jimmy
Selber Schuld, kein Mitleid

I am really bad at giving custom titles and, well, the internet in general tbqh

Ballkicks: (+506 / -233)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 6 of 46 (Originally posted on: 02-08-06 11:27:17 PM)

Quoted from mmac:
Quoted from Chimp:
Nothing official yet, you can bet it's going to be awesome though.

That's the kind of attitude that can make sure they churn out another boring Halo 2.
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Reply 7 of 46 (Originally posted on: 02-09-06 12:02:11 AM)

Quote:
That's the kind of attitude that can make sure they churn out another boring Halo 2.

That just blew my mind. Everyone likes different games, but noway can Halo 2 be considered boring. It is hands the best multiplayer fps game ever created.
SNR

Reply 8 of 46 (Originally posted on: 02-09-06 12:59:22 AM)

I was deeply issapointed with Halo 2, as far as Icould see it was a crappier version of Halo with better graphics and live functionality. I'm sure as hell not going to fork out tons of cash for a console because a future game for it may be good.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 9 of 46 (Originally posted on: 02-09-06 10:05:41 AM)

Quoted from Hoff:
Quote:

That just blew my mind. Everyone likes different games, but noway can Halo 2 be considered boring. It is hands the best multiplayer fps game ever created.
what

Quake 3? RTCW: Enemy Territory?

Personally, I found both Halo games boring and subpar.
FISHMANPET

Fishmanpet, son of Manbearpig and Girlfishpet

Ballkicks: (+102 / -63)
Reply 10 of 46 (Originally posted on: 02-09-06 11:13:57 AM)

Halo is a good game that you can quickly pick up and anyone can play. But that's only true on the Xbox. Halo for PC proves that in every other way, it is a subpar game.
the best thing about high school girls... every year im a little older, but every year they stay the same age. - NNY
Get the sand out of your vagina man. - Wild Bill
When Soccy talks about Star Trek, it's cute. For you, it just makes me picture you in an elaborate suit with a plastic "phaser" propositioning young girls at phaser-point. - Dani
What a bunch of idiots Andy. One day, you'll be their boss. - JamesMartigo
FMP writes erotic stories better than anyone else I know. - Socrateius
SNR

Reply 11 of 46 (Originally posted on: 02-09-06 11:45:30 AM)

Have to agreee with FISHMANPET regarding Halo PC. The game was unpolished buggy and didn't capture the whole Halo feeling. Halo is probabaly also the only FPS that I feel is best suited to console.
Imperialist
League of Worthless Posters
[sarcasm]few words[/sarcasm]

Ballkicks: (+268 / -153)
Reply 12 of 46 (Originally posted on: 02-09-06 12:35:49 PM)

Stop taking the thread off topic you jerks.

Yes, Oblivion will be awesome. Yes, my computer is good enough. big grin
LOL IM SUCH A FAG!!
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 13 of 46 (Originally posted on: 02-09-06 10:04:33 PM)

Elder Scrolls is a fun series.

My computer won't be able to handle it and I'm getting tired of that shit.

Halo/2 was a good FPS game for a console, but is not the best FPS ever, and it is blasphemy for anybody knowledgeable of the genre to say so. What made Halo fun was being able to play with friends face to face without having to set up huge lan parties with multiple computers. I didn't know it was even debateable that FPS games on the console were better than those on the computer.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
[01:19] witty tirade: wait wait wait
[01:19] witty tirade: let me get this straight
[01:19] witty tirade: I'm the thin attractive one
[01:19] witty tirade: and you, the fat one, are making fun of me?
[01:19] witty tirade: no sir I do not believe it.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Reply 14 of 46 (Originally posted on: 02-09-06 10:07:31 PM)

...and here comes the age old debate of mouse/keyboard vs. controller.
TheShadowDawn
Cautiously optimistic

Draggy

Ballkicks: (+82 / -11)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 15 of 46 (Originally posted on: 02-12-06 07:31:48 AM)

Well, I loved Morrowind despite its numerous gaping flaws, and have put more game time into it than any other.

Hell, I liked Morrowind so much I looked up its predecessors, and set up a Pentium 2 box to run them. Daggerfall is really fun, if you're ever struck by the urge to play a buggy game from the dying age of 2d game engines attempting futiley to match the look produced on the new 3D engines.

So yeah, I've more or less been salivating over the very prospect of Oblivion since release. From what I've read of development, it'll naturally have the same lackings a large game inevitably has, but sounds like they've done a lot more to eliminate the emptiness, bugginess and boring parts of Morrowind.

So, sounds like a recipe for success to me.

And yes, my computer will happily run it. kekeke u give soj??? Dare I risk sounding like a fanboy and saying that it was a significant factor in choosing to upgrade my computer?
You live and learn. At any rate, you live.
mmac
INTL Premium Member

3ms will rise again

Reply 16 of 46 (Originally posted on: 02-12-06 11:59:54 AM)

I picked up a nice video card, and a few SATA hard drives. Maybe I should build something good enough to do this. I'm sure that I could do it for a few hundred bucks.
This signature is only a temporary replacement for something that is actually funny.

atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 17 of 46 (Originally posted on: 02-15-06 12:33:18 PM)

According to the developers and an overwhelming consensus from most of the 8-year-olds at the Elder Scroll Forums, Oblivion will be a much larger world then Morrowind was with a much smaller population counting only 1000-1200 NPCs as opposed to Morrowinds 3500+ NPCs; the reasoning being that instead of having nice, 'filler' villagers in the taverns and on the streets, most NPCs will be in some way involved with the main quest or other quests which result in more 'intellectually rewarding' gains along with treasure and booty.

Not only this, but the amount of quests in the game has been, if I remember correctly, cut in half relative to the amount of possible quests in Morrowind; of course assuming you joined every guild and spent every winking hour of your life hunting them down. The reasoning for this has been, quite predictably, to increase the 'depth' of the quests and make them far more interesting and rewarding then the generic 'fed-ex' quests which dominated vanilla Morrowind and even some of the Mournhold and Solstheim missions.

So, what can we expect? Either the game will be a much quicker with less RPGesque styling with very sparsely populated towns and villages that leave us wanting more or it can be a very in-depth, provocative game which challenges the player to, in the words of one developer, "truly decide on your own, not let the game tell you, how the main quest plays out and how the Empire, the World, evolves".

Personally, though, I don't think the requirements really are that high considering that most of the required and 'suggested' hardware has already been on the market for over a year and that you could probably buy a pc with well over the highest specs given for about 800 dollars from any electronics store.
TheShadowDawn
Cautiously optimistic

Draggy

Ballkicks: (+82 / -11)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 18 of 46 (Originally posted on: 02-16-06 02:05:59 AM)

Quote:
Either the game will be a much quicker with less RPGesque styling with very sparsely populated towns and villages that leave us wanting more or it can be a very in-depth, provocative game which challenges the player to [rah rah]
I've got no doubt that it'll be the latter. All of the things Bethesda have limited their scope on match closely with the things in Morrowind that basically sucked because not enough effort was put into them.

Factions/quests: Lots of meaningless ones and no feel of achieving anything in them

Main quest: Morrowind's story concept was decent, but its treatment was undramatic and lifeless in the extreme

NPC's: stood in the same place 24 hours a day, and no matter where they were in Morrowind, the chances were good that the entire population of Morrowind only possessed a collective three individual opinions on any given matter

Also promising is the fact that Bethesda appear to be taking bug testing more seriously. This is particularly noteworthy, because every one of their games supports the precedent that they appear to use trained monkeys for QA.
You live and learn. At any rate, you live.
MBS

Ballkicks: (+130 / -100)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 19 of 46 (Originally posted on: 02-24-06 05:15:48 PM)

Quoted from Hoff:
yea, thats why i'm probably going to be getting an xbox 360. just so i can play oblivion, and also halo 3.

I baught my xbox in anticipation of Fable..... I am going to wait untill oblivion has been reviewed and playtested very well before I sink money into the xbox 360.
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Reply 20 of 46 (Originally posted on: 02-27-06 12:16:22 AM)

i was really disappointed with Fable. It wasnt a bad game, but i was expecting alot more. It was a big let down.
Now you see this one-eyed midget
Shouting the word "NOW"
And you say, "For what reason?"
And he says, "How?"
And you say, "What does this mean?"
And he screams back, "You're a cow
Give me some milk
Or else go home"
mmac
INTL Premium Member

3ms will rise again

Reply 21 of 46 (Originally posted on: 02-27-06 05:07:17 PM)

Quoted from Hoff:
i was really disappointed with Fable. It wasnt a bad game, but i was expecting alot more. It was a big let down.
Only because it should have been longer, I played it 13 hours straight until I beat it MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS I did love that game though for that one saturday.

MBS

Ballkicks: (+130 / -100)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 22 of 46 (Originally posted on: 02-27-06 10:01:02 PM)

It was not a bad game and I will easially recommend that anybody with an xbox pick up a copy. Its easially one of my favorite games on the xbox, however its also THE ABSOLUTE MOST DISAPPOINTING. If you were one of the people that sucked up every ounce of bullshit that spewed from peter molyneuxe's mouth (like I was), then you would know about all the cool sounding features that were suppose to have been already up and working in the game up until the last preview done a month before the game was released that were suprisingly absent from the retail version such as the ability to use any thing you find as a weapon such as frying pans, the ability to plant trees that would grow in real time so you could start your own apple orchard, competing dynamic heros/vilians all on the quest for fame, and quite alot of other stuff thats way to much to mention here.

On the other hand, if Oblivion, Ghost Recon, and Gears of War turn out good, I may very well get an Xbox 360
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Reply 23 of 46 (Originally posted on: 02-27-06 11:47:51 PM)

Quoted from mmac:
Quoted from Hoff:
Only because it should have been longer, I played it 13 hours straight until I beat it MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS I did love that game though for that one saturday.

I agree, it was a great game, but it was way too short and easy to beat. Maybe if there wasnt such a focus on the main task that they could have drawn out the game play alittle more.
Now you see this one-eyed midget
Shouting the word "NOW"
And you say, "For what reason?"
And he says, "How?"
And you say, "What does this mean?"
And he screams back, "You're a cow
Give me some milk
Or else go home"
Snook
INTL Premium Member

enlightening 6 year olds on the horrors of war

Ballkicks: (+247 / -65)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 24 of 46 (Originally posted on: 03-30-06 01:59:01 PM)

So now that the game is out, has anyone played it and have anything to say on it? If there is anyone who's played it, mind answering some questions?
<drahnier> no i was in belgium with my parents, they always took me sailing when i was a kid
<drahnier> denmark, gewrmany, norway. england, lots of places
<Byc> the dreaded land of gewrmany!
<Snook> thats almost jewrmany
<Byc> not if hitler had his way
<Byc> it'd have been like jewrfew
<Byc> or jewrnone
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 7563 | Total Posts: 46 ]