Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Linux Corner: computers for something other than windows? WHAT > Awful Applications > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 4351 | Total Posts: 31 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 12-05-04 02:25:57 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Granted, both Sandamnit and IF0 have posted threads listing applications and browsers which are useful, however, what programs/applications do you have experience with that you would not recommend to others?

Although this includes spyware, online and freeware programs, are there any costly programs which were a waste of your money? Are there any commonly used programs which you don't like, and for what reason?
sex is not 'action' it's
drama
and sometimes horror
and perhaps suspense
yes, lots of suspense
This reply was last edited on 12-05-04 02:31:42 PM by Sunn O))).
Sith
INTL Premium Member
Mango

Snake high score hog

Ballkicks: (+50 / -6)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 1 of 31 (Originally posted on: 12-05-04 02:53:39 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I strongly dislike how both Windows XP and Windows Media Player try and send information off to Microsoft, and how XP doesn't support DOS (I liked playing DOS games properly damnit).
This reply was last edited on 12-05-04 04:23:24 PM by Sith.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 2 of 31 (Originally posted on: 12-05-04 03:02:56 PM)

AIM. The service is great, but their client is terrible. The same goes for MSN Messenger.
As mentioned in the other thread, pick up Trillian or GAIM instead of these.
I'm thinking, I'm thinking...
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 3 of 31 (Originally posted on: 12-05-04 03:05:27 PM)

Internet Explorer. For every reason imaginable.

EDIT: Also, Truespace (a crappy 3d program). The interface is terrible, absolutely terrible. And it is missing some key features.
i've never been perfect // but i never meant to drag down you // so if i'm dragging you down now // i could wait in the lost and found // just promise me you'll be perfect // and i promise that i'll come around sometimes // to say // hello // all smiles[/w]

[w]L'enfer, c'est les autres.
Bill
INTL Premium Member

Thanks to id's "Can't see shit!" technology, Doom3 will run great on any computer!

Ballkicks: (+184 / -54)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 4 of 31 (Originally posted on: 12-05-04 03:07:37 PM)

Real Player, the bane of my existence.
Mingan
INTL Alumni
Mmm Skyscraper I Love You

Why are we having this wedding? because Abraham Lincoln, of course!

Ballkicks: (+637 / -48)
Reply 5 of 31 (Originally posted on: 12-05-04 04:01:56 PM)

Quoted from emtilt:
I can't seem to imagine any of these reasons, would you care to elaborate?
Quote:
Real Player, the bane of my existence.
oh yes, I seriously fucking hate real player, its cumbersome, its annoying, it has ads and just doesnt work
[18:45] VervetPaw: Why are penises so fun?
[18:45] VervetPaw: I mean, you touch them, and they get bigger!
[18:45] VervetPaw: It's the coolest fucking toy since ever.
Coca-Cola
INTL Premium Member

MY WIG-WAM WOKS!

Ballkicks: (+503 / -183)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
Reply 6 of 31 (Originally posted on: 12-05-04 05:39:53 PM)

Microsoft.*

But yeah in all seriousness, the new filesharing program that was recommended by many news sites called eDonkey sucked balls. I couldn't connect to most people and when I did it took like 5 hours to download anything on my cable modem.
"I am a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Red Green

NNY
Alcoholics Anonymous
Forum Drunkard

Staying in alone, with my cat.

Ballkicks: (+666 / -76)
Reply 7 of 31 (Originally posted on: 12-05-04 06:09:17 PM)

edonkey is anything but new. there are other things like overnet that run on the same servers and same basic software. ive always liked overnet and have never had any real problems with it (yes i realized it merged with eDonkey.
I hate yankees and this is one reason why. Just because you can't pay for 3 hot dogs doesn't mean that the economy is bad and ya'll think that bush is an idiot because he's from Texas. Well f you because he saved your ass from people like Sadam Houssein and don't go thinking i'm just a minupulated trailor trash illiterate for taking up for him because I'm smarter than 90% of the world.

"There's not a lot of cursing, swearing, personal cuts, there's not a lot of put downs, it's not you know screen-fulls of you know "go to hell", it's just surprising."

--- John Allen about "Internet"

Frightening social changes continued! And then the religious right began a righteous backlash! First they accused gays and lesbians of being promiscuous! And when this failed, they began accusing them of having long-term committed monogamous relationships and wanting to get married!
emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 8 of 31 (Originally posted on: 12-05-04 06:38:24 PM)

Quoted from Mingan:
Quoted from emtilt:
I can't seem to imagine any of these reasons, would you care to elaborate?

Security, lack of tabbed browsing, lack of extensions, lack of popup blocking unless you have XP SP2 which is still crappy, poor interface customizability, security, crashing, numerous bugs, no download manager, no integrated searching for multiple websites, ActiveX, security, lack of Adblock, slow in some respects (though I admit it is fast in other respects), few options, ugly interface, doesn't comply with standards, rarely updated with fixes, closed source, and security.

I'm sure I could think of more.
i've never been perfect // but i never meant to drag down you // so if i'm dragging you down now // i could wait in the lost and found // just promise me you'll be perfect // and i promise that i'll come around sometimes // to say // hello // all smiles[/w]

Mingan
INTL Alumni

Reply 9 of 31 (Originally posted on: 12-05-04 11:18:45 PM)

Quoted from emtilt:
Security, lack of tabbed browsing, lack of extensions, lack of popup blocking unless you have XP SP2 which is still crappy, poor interface customizability, security, crashing, numerous bugs, no download manager, no integrated searching for multiple websites, ActiveX, security, lack of Adblock, slow in some respects (though I admit it is fast in other respects), few options, ugly interface, doesn't comply with standards, rarely updated with fixes, closed source, and security.
Granted, that's a good enough list of features IE doesnt have.

Two points though; whenever a security flaw is detected, it gets updated. pretty quickly too, compared to other software. And, IE can't comply to any standards, when IE is a standard on its own. Most development projects I've seen work with IE, as a requirement.

The features you mentioned could be handy, for the more experienced user. I just wanted to say that for what it is, IE isn't such an awful program.

I would always recommend IE to people, because anything else will be useless. Only experienced users will want tabbed pages and a customizable GUI.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reply 10 of 31 (Originally posted on: 12-06-04 08:08:35 AM)

Quoted from Mingan:

I would always recommend IE to people, because anything else will be useless. Only experienced users will want tabbed pages
I have used Firefox for about an year, and I've never seen it render a page worse than IE, except for the Microsoft website.
Hell, Microsoft used Firefox in their search engine demonstration what am i (and they also had the Google Desktop Searcher or whatever tray icon next to the Windows Update tray icon what am i:qi'm a serial-killer :).
Mingan
INTL Alumni

Reply 11 of 31 (Originally posted on: 12-06-04 11:56:02 AM)

Of course, microsoft will honestly tell you if some piece of software is based on other software. They'll have contracts with said software suppliers that usually involves a team of them to work with microsoft on some product.

For instance, the Remote Desktop Protocol is for the most part developed by Citrix, who are experts at these kinds of things.

The security in Windows Server 2003 is based, for a good part, on linux security policies.

Also, its not about rendering pages wrong, its about what users know and rely on. It's a matter of convenience and equality through the entire software range.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."

GLEEK

Reply 12 of 31 (Originally posted on: 12-06-04 12:05:31 PM)

Quoted from Mingan:
Of course, microsoft will honestly tell you if some piece of software is based on other software. They'll have contracts with said software suppliers that usually involves a team of them to work with microsoft on some product.

For instance, the Remote Desktop Protocol is for the most part developed by Citrix, who are experts at these kinds of things.

The security in Windows Server 2003 is based, for a good part, on linux security policies.

Also, its not about rendering pages wrong, its about what users know and rely on. It's a matter of convenience and equality through the entire software range.
Convenience != better.

Goddamnit, you remind me of my cousin.
Mingan
INTL Alumni

Reply 13 of 31 (Originally posted on: 12-06-04 01:02:38 PM)

Quoted from antpocas:
Convenience != better.
Not for the average user it isn't
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."

GLEEK

Reply 14 of 31 (Originally posted on: 12-06-04 02:25:17 PM)

Quoted from Mingan:
Quoted from antpocas:
Convenience != better.
Not for the average user it isn't
Ok, but still, why wouldn't the average user benefit from Firefox?
emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 15 of 31 (Originally posted on: 12-06-04 02:56:31 PM)

Quoted from Mingan:
Granted, that's a good enough list of features IE doesnt have.
It doesn't match up to what all other major browsers can do, so in comparison to its competition, it is awful.

Quote:
Two points though; whenever a security flaw is detected, it gets updated. pretty quickly too, compared to other software.
You must have a much differnt idea of quickly than I do, because critical security issues have gone unfixed for months on several occasions.

Quote:
And, IE can't comply to any standards, when IE is a standard on its own. Most development projects I've seen work with IE, as a requirement.
There were standards before IE existed, then they just threw them out the window. Also, because development has been at a near stop, some things are only half-implemented, not the full standard. I'm not sure what you mean by "development projects I've seen work with IE, as a requirement." Do you mean web development requiring that their sites be IE compatible?

Quote:
The features you mentioned could be handy, for the more experienced user.

And why wouldn't many of them also be helpful for the inexperienced user? Most of them require little to zero know-how, and are incredibly convenient.

Quote:
I just wanted to say that for what it is, IE isn't such an awful program.
Difference of opinion. In my opinion, it is, when compared to any other option.

Quote:
I would always recommend IE to people, because anything else will be useless. Only experienced users will want tabbed pages and a customizable GUI.
I don't see how this makes any sense at all. I know many people who are almost entirely computer illiterate but prefer Firefox over IE. Many of those features don't require experience at all. Hell, my grandmother can use Firefox, and she's afraid to even turn her computer on. Tell me, how is anything other than IE useless?

We should probably end this discussion though, or take it to the browser thread, because it's taking it a little off-topic.

Fisher
INTL Premium Member
jhsdfi;loiha

Fishdick

Ballkicks: (+439 / -139)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 16 of 31 (Originally posted on: 12-16-04 02:53:24 AM)

I can not stand anything related to Quicktime or RealPlayer.
Mr Bounce

Ballkicks: (+95 / -37)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 17 of 31 (Originally posted on: 12-16-04 04:37:17 AM)

Windows Media Player. I admit I use it for all videos (except DivX), albeit with all the codecs ever made (via DefilerPak and KaZaALite Codec Pack), but its audio playing is ass. Winamp owns it so hard in playlists, media libraries, and options that it's amazing that people use it. It's got easy CD-burning, but I've recommended it to several people who are total noobs, and they've taken up with it immediately.
"I once took a bullet right in the cojones just to prove how tough I am, but the bullet ricocheted off of a pube and shot some kid in the face."
- Maddox http://maddox.xmission.com/
Menion
INTL Premium Member
Regular

Man-Onions

Ballkicks: (+122 / -35)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 18 of 31 (Originally posted on: 12-17-04 11:05:04 AM)

WeatherBug

For some reason I just get all kinds of retarded errors with my web browsing when I use weatherbug. And all the noises it makes for stupid reasons are annoying.
Ok, that's good to know...

"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history -- this century's history--We all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century." -- Dan Quayle

"Smoking kills. If you're killed, you've lost a very important part of your life." -- Brook Shields
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 19 of 31 (Originally posted on: 12-17-04 05:32:13 PM)

Quoted from Menion:
WeatherBug

For some reason I just get all kinds of retarded errors with my web browsing when I use weatherbug. And all the noises it makes for stupid reasons are annoying.
I absolutely agree.

At first, I thought it was very cool to have the temperature constantly at the bottom of the screen, but soon the ads, warnings and random sounds wore on me.

I also realized that I had no fucking need to ever know the temperature.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 20 of 31 (Originally posted on: 12-17-04 06:59:54 PM)

Quoted from Menion:
WeatherBug

It's full of syyware/adware. Why the hell would you use it?

Pascal
The Alpha Nerd

I love you, but why must you love the law?

Ballkicks: (+419 / -41)
Reply 21 of 31 (Originally posted on: 12-31-04 11:52:03 PM)

Because they don't know any better. Try out Weather Watcher. Same idea made by people who actually have souls.
clavicle
Alcoholics Anonymous

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+28 / -12)
Reg. Date: Dec 2004
Reply 22 of 31 (Originally posted on: 01-03-05 06:29:45 PM)

Quoted from Coca-Cola:
Microsoft.*

seconded
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."

GLEEK

Reply 23 of 31 (Originally posted on: 01-04-05 07:47:51 AM)

Quote:
Microsoft.*

MOTHERFUCKING VISUAL STUDIO, FUCKERS
fraggle_jock

Ballkicks: (+2 / -2)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 24 of 31 (Originally posted on: 01-15-05 03:15:52 PM)

blubster is a pretty horrible, spyware infested piece of junk.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 4351 | Total Posts: 31 ]