Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Linux Corner: computers for something other than windows? WHAT > Half-Life 2 Thread > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 5762 | Total Posts: 55 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
IB
Stays True to His Name

I should die

Ballkicks: (+171 / -76)
Reg. Date: May 2002
(Originally posted on: 10-16-04 07:22:09 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Haven't had this in a while. Here's some news:

- There's a rumor that it's gone gold, going to be announced as such on Monday, according to Gamespot.

- A PC Gamer review rated it a 96%, made the story and game sound absolutely fucking ace. Scans (NSF56K) are here: http://aaltonen.us/archive/2004/10/03/news-half-life-2-review/

- Pretty much all of the game has been preloaded. They can't release it until retail, though.

If you're at all interested in this game, you need to read that review. The story sounds fucking amazing.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 1 of 55 (Originally posted on: 10-16-04 09:25:34 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I've been anticipating this game for a very long time and really didn't think it would ever hit retail; however, as time creeps by, I can't help but grow more and more excited for this game, day by day.

I've purposely been keeping myself in the dark as for the details of the game, so that I can fully enjoy the majesty of the game when it comes out, but I went ahead and read the review and it only piqued my interests moreso.

The gravity gun in particular, I'm wondering how that is going to pan out. Also, the storyline sounds fucking awesome too.

The only thing I still want to know is when the damn release date is going to be. Gamespot still says TBA MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
Amiodarone
INTL Premium Member

pronounces name 'ileu'

Ballkicks: (+126 / -46)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 2 of 55 (Originally posted on: 10-16-04 09:44:09 PM)

I'll read the review when I get more time. I've had high hopes for this game and I've tried to avoid news about it as much as possible. I had a discussion today about an article I saw that mentioned the minimum reqiurments are going to be high, and desgined espically for Radieon videocards. Not that it will only play on them, but it won't play as well on others. Does anyone know if these things?
IB
Stays True to His Name

I should die

Reply 3 of 55 (Originally posted on: 10-17-04 07:55:41 AM)

Quote:
The only thing I still want to know is when the damn release date is going to be. Gamespot still says TBA MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS

I think Vivendi is so pissed off about Steam that they're going to take their good old fucking time. There's no doubt that this is the last time Valve uses a publisher.

Quote:
I had a discussion today about an article I saw that mentioned the minimum reqiurments are going to be high, and desgined espically for Radieon videocards. Not that it will only play on them, but it won't play as well on others. Does anyone know if these things?

The only requirements I could find were:

1.2 GHz Processor
256MB RAM
DirectX 7 level graphics card
Windows 2000/XP/ME/98

but that's probably old. I don't know, but even if it is designed for ATI cards, there'll surely be Nvidia drivers to make it perform better.

Edit: in the review, it said they reccomend a 2.4ghz processor, 512mb ram and a dx9 video card. I'm just above that by .4 ghz.
Widukind
MARCHINTOCH SI 4 DA FAGZZZZ

M/F? No one knows

Ballkicks: (+126 / -166)
Reg. Date: May 2003
Reply 4 of 55 (Originally posted on: 10-17-04 10:05:34 AM)

It's been like what...2 years?
Amiodarone
INTL Premium Member

pronounces name 'ileu'

Reply 5 of 55 (Originally posted on: 10-17-04 04:04:14 PM)

Quoted from Widukind:
It's been like what...2 years?
Something like that. I'm saying that's where those original requirments came from too. Damn, I could have plyed that, I guess I'll need a new computer before... Well whenever it comes out. I'm guessing next year.
Mr Bounce

Ballkicks: (+95 / -37)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 6 of 55 (Originally posted on: 10-17-04 04:18:56 PM)

If it's not released before Christmas, which it will be, I'm seriously not playing a game ever again.*

*j/k
"I once took a bullet right in the cojones just to prove how tough I am, but the bullet ricocheted off of a pube and shot some kid in the face."
- Maddox http://maddox.xmission.com/
Amiodarone
INTL Premium Member

pronounces name 'ileu'

Reply 7 of 55 (Originally posted on: 10-17-04 10:33:17 PM)

Quoted from Mr Bounce:
If it's not released before Christmas, which it will be, I'm seriously not playing a game ever again.*
*j/k
It's been puched back quite a bit,but I'm sure they'll make it in before this Christmas, otherwise they'll lose a lot of business. Most of the thigns I've been reading have said very early November, and with the entire thing being uploaded on Steam, it's highly possible. However you think they would want to announce it if it were that soon.
This reply was last edited on 10-17-04 11:09:48 PM by Amiodarone.
Mr Bounce

Reply 8 of 55 (Originally posted on: 10-18-04 01:59:35 AM)

Yes, but we're forgetting that I'm going to need a real man's PC to run HL2 properly. I managed to play DOOM 3 for a while, even though it looked like shit and ran approximately the same, but I just can't bring myself to butcher Gordan's fantastic story. So, I won't be able to play it MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
"I once took a bullet right in the cojones just to prove how tough I am, but the bullet ricocheted off of a pube and shot some kid in the face."
IB
Stays True to His Name

I should die

Reply 9 of 55 (Originally posted on: 10-18-04 01:45:50 PM)

Quote:
The Company confirmed that Half-Life 2, developed by Valve Software, has gone gold with a planned retail street date of November 16, 2004. The countdown to the highly anticipated retail street date has begun around the world, as VU Games completes plans to ship localized versions of Half-Life 2 simultaneously

So now those of us who preloaded get to have it sit on our computers unusable for 4 weeks.

Fuck Vivendi.
Mr Bounce

Reply 10 of 55 (Originally posted on: 10-22-04 06:40:00 AM)

You just can't put anything past VALVe, Vivendi, and all those "people" that I'm generalising about. They're all a bunch of dickheads.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reply 11 of 55 (Originally posted on: 10-22-04 11:08:23 AM)

Valve are fucking faggots. The bandwith you use to download the games doesn't cost what the publisher takes from retail price. Oh yeah, the Doom 3 engine is far more advanced than Source.
stew

thick soup

Ballkicks: (+62 / -7)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 12 of 55 (Originally posted on: 10-22-04 02:46:38 PM)

I've been playing Counterstrike Source so much lately.

Half Life 2 is only going to be better.
Hail to the Ultra Norsk!

"He's fighting a furious battle with the towel and the towel is winning!"
corkster
Witness Protection Program
Corkster is winner!

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+83 / -39)
Reg. Date: Sep 2003
Reply 13 of 55 (Originally posted on: 11-16-04 01:42:36 AM)

Half-Life 2 was just unlocked
and no one was the wiser
NNY
Alcoholics Anonymous
Forum Drunkard

Staying in alone, with my cat.

Ballkicks: (+666 / -76)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 14 of 55 (Originally posted on: 11-16-04 01:06:49 PM)

i was the first person to break the seal on the cases of half life 2 and hold the precious game box in my hands when the shipments showed up at target the beginning of last week... then they were promptly quaranteened. seriously, they werent taking any chances. i was afraid i might get in trouble for cracking a case so i could see it with my own eyes.
I hate yankees and this is one reason why. Just because you can't pay for 3 hot dogs doesn't mean that the economy is bad and ya'll think that bush is an idiot because he's from Texas. Well f you because he saved your ass from people like Sadam Houssein and don't go thinking i'm just a minupulated trailor trash illiterate for taking up for him because I'm smarter than 90% of the world.

"There's not a lot of cursing, swearing, personal cuts, there's not a lot of put downs, it's not you know screen-fulls of you know "go to hell", it's just surprising."

--- John Allen about "Internet"

Frightening social changes continued! And then the religious right began a righteous backlash! First they accused gays and lesbians of being promiscuous! And when this failed, they began accusing them of having long-term committed monogamous relationships and wanting to get married!
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 15 of 55 (Originally posted on: 11-16-04 05:21:18 PM)

I went to a forum I check daily today, and I found the main page funny:

i've never been perfect // but i never meant to drag down you // so if i'm dragging you down now // i could wait in the lost and found // just promise me you'll be perfect // and i promise that i'll come around sometimes // to say // hello // all smiles[/w]

[w]L'enfer, c'est les autres.
Zing
BRUNET TILL BALD

Purrrfect timing.

Ballkicks: (+148 / -12)
Reg. Date: Sep 2004
Reply 16 of 55 (Originally posted on: 11-16-04 09:36:00 PM)

Here's some screenshots from a fellow with a computer that can run the game superbly (unlike mine). Not 56K recommended.

http://www.maxforums.org/thread.aspx?tid=273271&r=9

It's spectacular! The textures especially.
*lightnings*
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reply 17 of 55 (Originally posted on: 11-17-04 06:40:35 AM)

Sure it looks pretty, but is it fun?

I'll wait a little while to get the general feedback on the game before I buy it.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 18 of 55 (Originally posted on: 11-17-04 11:59:56 AM)

Quoted from Tartarus:
Sure it looks pretty, but is it fun?
Yes, it is. I've only just begun the game and it's amazing. The characters are more real and the dialog is more natural and at times, funny. The gameplay is about the same as the original, but with a graphics upgarde. The whole introduction of the game is fantastic and the plot development thusfar is pretty mysterious, but that's what Valve wants.

All in all, my preliminary review is that this game is as good as the hype.
"Legolas grasped onto his bodkin arrow and stroked it steadily. It was but a few moments later that Legolas would let forth a mighty war cry and shoot millions of tiny arrows into Luthien's mouth. Being the expert archer that Legolas was, not a single one of his tiny arrows missed its target."
NNY
Alcoholics Anonymous
Forum Drunkard

Reply 19 of 55 (Originally posted on: 11-18-04 10:20:49 AM)

has anyone seen the supposed special edition HL2 pack, with HL redone with the new engine? a friend of mine mentioned having seen it at best buy, but we didnt have it at target.
I hate yankees and this is one reason why. Just because you can't pay for 3 hot dogs doesn't mean that the economy is bad and ya'll think that bush is an idiot because he's from Texas. Well f you because he saved your ass from people like Sadam Houssein and don't go thinking i'm just a minupulated trailor trash illiterate for taking up for him because I'm smarter than 90% of the world.

"There's not a lot of cursing, swearing, personal cuts, there's not a lot of put downs, it's not you know screen-fulls of you know "go to hell", it's just surprising."

Frightening social changes continued! And then the religious right began a righteous backlash! First they accused gays and lesbians of being promiscuous! And when this failed, they began accusing them of having long-term committed monogamous relationships and wanting to get married!
Jim Rowley

Official INTL Stoner

Ballkicks: (+23 / -10)
Reg. Date: Nov 2004
Reply 20 of 55 (Originally posted on: 11-18-04 11:57:50 AM)

Can anyone spoil HL's ending for me? I got to right before the last boss and stopped, an now that HL2's story is intriguing me as much if not more than the first, I am trying to find out what the "2 choices" are at the end?
"My ideas are bigger than my vocabulary"

-Jim Rowley
NNY
Alcoholics Anonymous
Forum Drunkard

Reply 21 of 55 (Originally posted on: 11-18-04 12:28:39 PM)

yeah, me too since i couldnt even get the fucking game to work on my computer.

poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reply 22 of 55 (Originally posted on: 11-18-04 04:58:21 PM)

The man in the blue suit basically tells you that you can come work for him, or they leave you to die.
Jim Rowley

Official INTL Stoner

Ballkicks: (+23 / -10)
Reg. Date: Nov 2004
Reply 23 of 55 (Originally posted on: 11-18-04 06:22:21 PM)

Ah, I see. Quite a cliff-hanger.
"My ideas are bigger than my vocabulary"

-Jim Rowley
Squareknight
I will never be independant

XX_mira_fan_Xx

Ballkicks: (+181 / -100)
Reply 24 of 55 (Originally posted on: 11-18-04 09:25:27 PM)

The origonal Half Life with the source upgrade really isnt that much of an upgrade. Mostly the improvements include better reflections, modern water effects and better shadows. But most of all, it uses Source, a more efficient engine for processing, so even though the graphics are pretty much the same, it runs a whole lot smoother, so much so you can have it on max settings with a baseline computer and get silky smooth fps.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 5762 | Total Posts: 55 ]