Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > INTL should now load much, much, much faster. > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D
Page: [ 1 ] [ Thread Views: 4065 | Total Posts: 21 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+914 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
(Originally posted on: 07-29-04 02:07:17 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

For the last four hours, I've been sitting here in a white lab coat, slaving over the INTL database, analyzing and crunching numbers, reviewing pie charts and nonsensical graphs, reworking code, and rewriting database queries. What for?

The database has slowly gotten slower and slower and slower over the last year, due to an ever-increasing database. In fact, the database has doubled since this time last year. For those of you that were around for INTL v2.0 and the subsequent release of INTL v3.0, you witnessed a complete rewrite of the forum code. When v3.0 was released and made public, the site loaded faster than greased lightning, but as time has gone by and the database has increased in capacity, the site has slowed down. Certain sections of the site (the profile page in particular) has gone from loading in less than one second to loading in anywhere from 1.5-7 seconds. This needed to be fixed.

As I said, I've spent the last four hours reworking certain things. I've pretty much modified the entire structure of the database and rewritten some shitty database queries which were causing gradual slowdowns over the last year in certain scripts.

The results?

Well, you should notice that most of the sections of the site (profiles and the google100, mostly; however, the entire site is now loading slightly faster as a result) are now loading a hell of a lot faster. I've also taken into consideration an ever-growing database and modified the database in preparation for those gradual increases in capacity.

On top of that, with a completely remodified database, there may be certain things that I have not foreseen, thus may cause some problems. Some of you have already noticed the "No threads found." error and the buggy karma error. Both of those bugs have been eliminated; however, there are likely other minor errors that have gone undetected thusfar.

Bottom line: please notify me of any odd errors that you witness as a result of this database modification, so that I may fix them before it's too late, DUN DUN DUN!
No.
Imperialist
League of Worthless Posters
[sarcasm]few words[/sarcasm]

Ballkicks: (+268 / -153)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 1 of 21 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 02:15:44 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

INTL still loads turtle-slow on this 56K computer I'm using right now. It might even be lower than 56K. Who knows.

But nice work, I'm sure I'll notice the changes once I get to my regular computer.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 2 of 21 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 02:22:23 AM)

Quoted from Imperialist:
INTL still loads turtle-slow on this 56K computer I'm using right now. It might even be lower than 56K. Who knows.

But nice work, I'm sure I'll notice the changes once I get to my regular computer.
Thanks for the pro-tip, skip. Everything loads slow on 56k. I didn't upgrade your Internet connection to cable modem. I upgraded server-side shit, thus speeding up load times. If you look at the load times in the bottom of each screen, you'll notice a significant drop in load times, which is what I'm talking about.

hey dudez, this site loads slow as sh!t on my 5600 baud modem, wtf iz up with that???
No.
etymxris
INTL Developer

JUST AS PLANNED

Ballkicks: (+179 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 3 of 21 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 02:51:16 AM)

Works fine for me. Seems faster, but it's difficult for a human to tell the difference between 0.7 secs and 0.5 secs, so it might just be me. I'm sure you'd be able to tell yourself if you log SQL or load times to the filesystem.

SQL should be able to handle tables up to 18 million rows at least. That's the most I've seen at work anyway. Just have to be sure to only query on indexed fields. But you already knew that.
http://clevernothing.org
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 4 of 21 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 02:51:57 AM)

Might just be my imagination, but the gallery pictures load a hell of alot faster as a result of this too.

Nice.
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper]"On it's own this banana pudding is almost palatable. But without Nilla waffers it's just another one of your wretched culinary abortions! *crash* NOW CLEAN IT UP!"
- Stewie
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 5 of 21 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 02:59:52 AM)

Here's a link to the Average Load Times page that is available through the admin control panel. I removed all mentions of admin scripts for security reasons. Anyway, every time a script is accessed that is linked to the database, the time it takes for PHP and SQL to execute is logged and averages are maintained and able to be sorted through the admincp.

http://uploaded.interestingnonetheless.net/Sandamnit/load_times.php.htm

As you can see, most scripts have high averages, as well as high total views. That whole page is an average summary of all load times since a little over a year ago. 4,032,279 script accesses taking an average of 1.060 seconds, with MySQL eating up roughly 75% of that load.

I've gone and reset the load averages, so that I might be able to see how much of an effect this change will actually make. I guess I'll know in about a month or so.
No.
etymxris
INTL Developer

JUST AS PLANNED

Ballkicks: (+179 / -16)
Reply 6 of 21 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 03:03:40 AM)

Quoted from Sandamnit:
I've gone and reset the load averages, so that I might be able to see how much of an effect this change will actually make. I guess I'll know in about a month or so.

It looks like it'll let anyone reset the stats. Maybe there's a permissions check after submit, but I'm not going to test to find out. Regardless, good stuff.

Nevermind:
form action="" method="post" style="margin: 0pt;" name="loads"
http://clevernothing.org
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 7 of 21 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 10:19:06 AM)

Danke.
I really hope no one comes over here right now.
I just farted, see? And it really stinks.
This could be the end of my professional career.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 8 of 21 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 10:27:00 AM)

3638 page views later and we've got an average load time of 0.596 seconds.

Seems to be working well, so far.
No.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reply 9 of 21 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 10:46:53 AM)

Does this have anything to do with INTL 4's queries to the database, or is all that still lost with the trip from Korea?
I really hope no one comes over here right now.
I just farted, see? And it really stinks.
This could be the end of my professional career.
Bill
INTL Premium Member

Thanks to id's "Can't see shit!" technology, Doom3 will run great on any computer!

Ballkicks: (+184 / -54)
Reply 10 of 21 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 12:10:35 PM)

The load times are much shorter...last night I had a load time of 10 seconds. The load time on this was .192 seconds. Much better.
EscalatorToHell

elusive and illustrious

Ballkicks: (+177 / -80)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 11 of 21 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 12:23:59 PM)

This is super awesome. Last week I got sort of frustrated with how long it took to get to the reply page.

Thanks Sandamnit.
You're skin and bones; I'm a nervous wreck.
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 12 of 21 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 03:30:45 PM)

I haven't noticed much of a difference (most of my SQL load times are still well over a second), but thanks for the effort Sandamnit.
Buck Fush
Pluveto

Rain Man

Ballkicks: (+164 / -45)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 13 of 21 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 04:02:39 PM)

Thanks, Sandy. The difference is quite noticeable on my computer.
Angus

D'oh!

Ballkicks: (+621 / -84)
Reply 14 of 21 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 08:47:05 PM)

I just got rid of IE and I installed Firefox, and I got rid of 99(!) spywares on my computer with spysweeper. I thought that was the reason it was faster. What a coincidence. Thanks for the false confidence.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 15 of 21 (Originally posted on: 07-29-04 11:34:40 PM)

I just updated the Edit Profile section and it now runs a hell of a lot faster as well. Avatars are also sorted by username in a case-insensitive manner. No more separate alphabetical groupings of upper-case and lower-case usernames.
No.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 16 of 21 (Originally posted on: 07-30-04 11:42:22 PM)

I just updated the search engine. If you've got a Premium Account, check it out and let me know what you think. Feedback is more than welcome.

Here are some screenshots for those that don't have Premium Accounts.

http://uploaded.interestingnonetheless.net/Sandamnit/search01.png
The initial search screen. I'm still not happy with the layout of it and will likely change it in due time.

http://uploaded.interestingnonetheless.net/Sandamnit/search02.png
This is the intermediary screen, nothing special here. This screen was necessary, because searches are now cached into the database for a total of 30 minutes after initializing the search. This is basically there so that you don't accidentally hit F5 on the results screen, thus possibly redoing the search.

http://uploaded.interestingnonetheless.net/Sandamnit/search03.png
These are the results of searching. You can now see all results, instead of just the first 200 as it was set up before. Since the search results are now cached in the database, every time you want to switch the page you aren't initializing a brand new search.

Also, I've added a brief preview of the post that was found. The first 250 characters of the post are shown, without applying BBcode to those 250 characters. HTML is turned off, so you won't be hearing random midis or seeing insanely large text that the admins and I decide to add into posts every so often.

Features Added:
  • You can now specify a date range in which you are searching. You must use the YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS format; however, HH:MM:SS is optional. For the "After Date Range" HH:MM:SS will default to 00:00:00; however, for the "Before Date Range" HH:MM:SS will default to 23:59:59.
  • You can now specify multiple forums in which to search. All available forums are listed to the right of the screen and can be selected by using CTRL and SHIFT for multiple forums. You can either include or exclude the selected forums. Combining "Search All Forums" with the "exclude" feature will return no results.
  • Your search results are stored in the database for up to 30 minutes after searching. If you search for "testing" then 15 minutes, search for "testing" again, the same results will be displayed. However, if you alter any of the search parameters, a new search will be yielded.
  • There is a super-duper easter egg search string, whereupon discovering it, you will then be rewarded with a week long ban. Have fun. big grin
    No.
    This reply was last edited on 07-31-04 12:02:46 AM by Air Bud.
  • ba
    INTL Premium Member
    Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
    Reg. Date: Apr 2003
    Reply 17 of 21 (Originally posted on: 07-30-04 11:56:12 PM)

That's pretty fucking cool.
    ~British[/whisper] Agent
    [whisper]"On it's own this banana pudding is almost palatable. But without Nilla waffers it's just another one of your wretched culinary abortions! *crash* NOW CLEAN IT UP!"
    - Stewie
    Vervet
    Anti-wiki

Ballkicks: (+875 / -84)
    Reg. Date: Nov 2002
    Reply 18 of 21 (Originally posted on: 07-31-04 11:09:49 AM)

Hey guys, how about we support Sandamnit and INTL financially for giving us such awesome features we don't deserve?
    All the white horses are still in bed.
    Fisher
    INTL Premium Member
    jhsdfi;loiha

Fishdick

Ballkicks: (+439 / -139)
    Reply 19 of 21 (Originally posted on: 07-31-04 12:32:49 PM)

The new search function is fucking awesome.
    antpocas
    "Sex is not dating."
    "If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
    Reply 20 of 21 (Originally posted on: 07-31-04 07:31:12 PM)

INTL is definately faster, and the new search feature is pretty fucking coal.

Edit: Fix dance dance revolution please.
    This reply was last edited on 07-31-04 07:44:45 PM by antpocas.
    Mr Bounce

Ballkicks: (+95 / -37)
    Reg. Date: Jul 2002
    Reply 21 of 21 (Originally posted on: 08-06-04 07:32:23 AM)

INTL is pretty damn fast now, I have to admit.
    izzy: fuck you
    Soccy: after my nap
    "SHUT UP YOU NIGGER TERRORIST!!" - Flaming Arrow
    "Department store computers are like mcdonalds hamburgers, squished up really small and full of shit" - Baggy_Brad
    "I suppose I could forgive you, but that would probably involve giving a damn, and I'm just not prepared to do that." - uselessinformation
    Quick Reply
    Page: [ 1 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
    [ Thread Views: 4065 | Total Posts: 21 ]