Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D
Page: [ 1 ] [ Thread Views: 142 | Total Posts: 4 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
(Originally posted on: 01-07-17 07:08:50 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

So I had have grand plans about creating an enormous thread to cover in great detail my 15 year love affair with SMAC. I have serious doubts about that ever happening but I'm starting the thread and I'm going to type until I get bored or distracted, then maybe I'll come back later.

I was first introduced to this game by way of a review in PC Gamer of the expansion Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri: Alien Crossfire. The expansion did not review well but the magazine made a point of state the original game was the highest scored game they had ever reviewed this put it on my radar and months later when I found it in the bargain bin of a store for 15$ I decided to jump on it.

On the surface SMAC is very similar to any Sid Meier's game, anyone familiar with the Civ series would be relatively at home playing it, what differentiates it is how well it builds on the the idea of a future civilization.

The Story
The game begins with a rocket ship leaving planet earth to colonize Alpha Centauri, you'll recognize this as the final ending scenario of the Civ Games. The settlers of AC end of splitting up into 7 factions based pretty heavily on potential offensive stereo types (one at least, more on the factions later). The world your colonizing is heavily inspired by Isaac Asimov's "Nemsis" with the primary life form being a "mind worm" with the principal floral being a fungus like thing. Through the course of several narrative junction through out the game you'll discover that the fungus is actually functioning like a rudimentary neural net that is rapidly increasing in density and effectiveness as the game progresses, and is ultimately responsible for directing the worm attacks on human settlements, although it's not exactly aware of it's behavior the Final victory condition is "Transcendence" in which the fast majority of the human population joins with planets consciousness to live out a functionally indefinite life free of traditional human limitations

The Factions
The University - Leader: Provost Zakharov Aim: Pursuit of Knowledge
The Gaians Leader: Lady Deidre Sky Aim: Live harmoniously with nature on the new planet
U.N. Peace Keepers Leader: Lal Aim: Be Kind of Useless
Spartans - Leader: Santigo Aim: Survivalists
Morgan Industries Leader: Morgan Aim: Industrialists
The Hive Leader: Yang Aim: Collectivism (Legalism?)
The Believers: Leader: Miriam Godwinson Aim: Be a dumb bitch to everyone and just kick the shit out of them too
ice wolverine
Global Moderator

Gay Turtle and Ass

Ballkicks: (+1762 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 4 (Originally posted on: 01-11-17 10:16:17 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Oh I thought snook posted this thread
luke

did u guys c barista george n creepy spider lady w/ nickelback

Ballkicks: (+7 / -0)
Reg. Date: Sep 2016
Reply 2 of 4 (Originally posted on: 01-13-17 03:46:50 PM)

fascinating, please continue
Snook
INTL Premium Member

enlightening 6 year olds on the horrors of war

Ballkicks: (+246 / -65)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 3 of 4 (Originally posted on: 01-13-17 07:38:30 PM)

Quoted from ice wolverine:
Oh I thought snook posted this thread

I've never actually played the game.
ice wolverine
Global Moderator

Gay Turtle and Ass

Ballkicks: (+1762 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 4 of 4 (Originally posted on: 01-16-17 06:56:54 PM)

Me neither
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 142 | Total Posts: 4 ]