Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Health & Beauty: chances are you possess neither of these > Healthy Cooking for one! > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: Amphytrite
Page: [ 1 ] [ Thread Views: 2507 | Total Posts: 14 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
(Originally posted on: 08-18-10 01:32:23 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Help!

Seriously... I need help.

I am very sick of eating stir fry and steamed rice. I lasted about 6 months on it, but now I am pretty sure I will die the next time I smell any sort of asian food.
The next president of the United States of America.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 14 (Originally posted on: 08-18-10 01:48:33 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

onion+tomato+ground beef+beans=chili

tomato+pepper+eggplant+sausage innards=pasta sauce
"you look bigger on facebook"
-Amphy
jimmy
Selber Schuld, kein Mitleid

I am really bad at giving custom titles and, well, the internet in general tbqh

Ballkicks: (+506 / -233)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 2 of 14 (Originally posted on: 08-18-10 05:31:17 PM)

Cook stuff that you can freeze for later. Make your own pasta(ravioli) or potstickers (with egg roll wrappers, ground pork, ketchup, mustard and onions). The effort you put into cooking just one serving of something is often not worth it, so cook something easily re-heatable for lunch later in the week. I've been smoking a 3lb brisket once a week and making my own BBQ sauce for sandwiches, etc.

So yeah, the best advice I can give you is to cook for two and eat leftovers for lunch.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 3 of 14 (Originally posted on: 08-18-10 06:02:57 PM)

It is terribly hard to cook for one person, because usually food is sold in portions enough for four people. That's the main problem with cooking for one, that even if you only want or need half a cup of black beans, you're going to end up with the whole damn can. If you're sure you can use the items you buy in the sizes you buy, you're more than halfway there.

As jimmy said, being able to save stuff for later is definitely a good idea, especially if there are a variety of ways to prepare it. You can freeze meat, vegetables, fruit, bread, sauces, soups, nuts, and anything whole grain. If you're going to freeze anything, do it right away while it's fresh or freshly prepared, especially meat. If you buy meat on its own (esp chicken), break it up immediately and freeze it in individual serving sizes. That way it'll be easier to dethaw and prepare just as much as you want without wasting or leftovers if you don't want any.

Pasta's my hero when it comes to something quick, easy, relatively healthy and one person friendly for a meal. Make different sauces (these can be frozen for later) yourself, since it's cheaper to buy canned tomatoes and spices than it is to buy ready made sauce. Also healthier, since you can control the sodium levels a lot better.

Salad. If you're willing to buy the ingredients, salad can make a great and filling meal--last night I had a salad with grilled chicken (though you can cook it in a pan with a little olive oil too) and it was delicious. Don't be afraid to experiment with the ingredients; I love apples blue cheese in salad, and pineapple or grapes can work well too.

If all else fails, invite people over for dinner. You can then cook for more than one.

Links:
Marie Claire lol am i rite??? all ur base r belong 2 us has an article about cooking for one; though the serving sizes are for more than one, you can save and reheat.
There's a book called The Pleasures of Cooking for One which, from what I've heard, is a very good resource with a large variety of recipes. Read the sample recipe--the author gives suggestions for second and third rounds and what you can do differently to keep it from being the same meal over and over again.
This website, just from quick glance, looks pretty fantastic. The minestrone sounds very good, as does the Italian tomato pasta (add some fresh basil from a friend's garden to make it amazing).
Spiff: amphytrite, the anti-tart

Purple: Amphy, scratch my neckfat

Nickolati: when i was 17, fruit loops gave me a boner
jimmy
Selber Schuld, kein Mitleid

I am really bad at giving custom titles and, well, the internet in general tbqh

Ballkicks: (+506 / -233)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 4 of 14 (Originally posted on: 08-18-10 09:05:19 PM)

The other part of this that I failed to mention is to devote a certain amount of time per day to grocery shopping, and buying everything the day you make it. This helps with portion control, but can be disastrous if you're impulsive.
ice wolverine
Global Moderator

Gay Turtle and Ass

Ballkicks: (+1762 / -130)
Reply 5 of 14 (Originally posted on: 08-19-10 01:58:19 AM)

tacos are easy and make great leftovers, oh man I am hungry
Shadowe

I kinda want to see that up someone's ass

Ballkicks: (+90 / -84)
Reg. Date: Dec 2004
Reply 6 of 14 (Originally posted on: 08-19-10 07:47:49 PM)

Buy decent tupperware (rubbermaid takealongs are good) and freeze basic stocks and broths with chicken in it, or a pot of lentils&barley, you then have a ready to finish off soup that can be thawed and have some stuff added (meat, veggies, w/e) and some more spices dumped in and it's dinner in 15min.

It's also easier if you think of your diet on a multi-day basis instead of trying to be perfectly balanced all the time. That also lets you cook things that are dinner and lunch the next day, or lunch and dinner one day or what have you. Things like steamed vegetables (birds-eye brand mixed beans and carrots are great for this) can just be dropped on top of any meal to help keep you healthier.

For example freeze a normal pack of hotdogs. Thaw and cook 4, eat 2 with some steamed vegetables and sandwich bread. You have two more for lunch or breakfast the next day. For dinner boil some Penne, drain it really well, then heat up very little vegetable oil in a skillet and dump some spices in there (Oregano, cayenne, white pepper, garlic powder, onion powder) and then toss your pasta in and brown it a bit with those spices before re-straining (ditch the excess oil) and plating one meal's worth and covering it in some grated parmesan. That's now dinner tonight and there's enough leftover to have more the next day for lunch or breakfast depending on what you do with the hotdogs.

Boom, four meals that take less than 40 minutes to cook (unless your stove sucks for boiling pasta like mine does) and gives you variety. Want something different? Use some pasta sauce and sundried tomatoes instead of cheese and it tastes different.

Same thing with those soups. Boil some costco/sam's club chicken thighs (with bones and skin) until it's about properly cooked. Season with some chicken base and a few basic spices (white pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic and onion powder) and then let it cool and freeze it. You can then thaw it out and add the birds-eye vegetables I mentioned and some ground celery seed for a nourishing and tsaty chicken vegetable soup, or split off the chicken for use in the barley&lentil with some heavier pepper use and add cumin for an almost chili-tasting soup.

Get one of each basic spice from the Badia stand in your grocery store and learn to use them and one set of chicken thighs from costco can be anything from middle-eastern style chicken shishkabob in your oven to hearty american chicken noodle soup. Learning spices is the key to being able to make the same meat taste like 50 things. It'll also help you not eat too much since some spices (cumin, tumeric, cayenne, oregano) can really make you regret overeating.
Hanlon's Razor: Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 7 of 14 (Originally posted on: 08-20-10 06:38:30 AM)

You can buy those prepackaged filet mignons for like 3 bucks a piece.

You get 5 oz of red meat (throw away the bacon, it's gross after the beef takes all it's flavor) and you can steam some broccoli in a bag for a quick meal with smallish portions. You still get everything you need and you aren't tempted to try to finish that 22oz ribeye and be insanely miserable for the next 4 hours. Grill a week's worth of pork steaks for lunch to about medium rare, then you can throw em in the microwave and they're still juicy.
I don't have a drinking problem.
I drink, I get drunk, I fall down.
No problem.
Agon
Vodka and Lip Gloss
INTL Best Dressed List

when i finish my cut in a few months i'll show you my shiny new abs.

Ballkicks: (+321 / -63)
Reg. Date: Jul 2004
Reply 8 of 14 (Originally posted on: 08-28-10 10:17:08 AM)

Now that I'm jacked, I buy everything in bulk and usually cook two meals a day.

Breakfast:

2-3 eggs, cheese, some sausage or bacon, and a bowl of oatmeal

Lunch:

Leftovers from last night and usually either string cheese or natural peanut butter

Dinner:

Boneless skinless chicken breast/steak/lean ground beef/fish + frozen veggies--steamed broccoli and cauliflower, squash, etc

Cleaning pots and pans all the time is a pain in the ass but I'm really healthy and look great!
alinak
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 9 of 14 (Originally posted on: 05-31-11 03:33:36 AM)

Healthy Cooking Tips
1>Wash fruits and vegetables before consumption
2>Cook with fresh ingredients as much as possible.
3>Using organic foods whenever possible.
4>Balance your meals with plenty of raw, fresh, organic foods
5>Use naturally sweet products to satisfy that sweet tooth of yours… fruit, fruit juice etc.
Chemotherapy Diet | Nursing Resume | Chemo Pills
This reply was last edited on 05-31-11 03:39:19 AM by alinak.

User was banned for this post.
Run Silent Run Drapes
Administrator
Eiffle Towers: 6969

someone bitter is after my ass

Ballkicks: (+561 / -30)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 10 of 14 (Originally posted on: 06-10-11 11:55:40 AM)

This was posted on may fucking 31st. How is this guy not banned yet? What the hell you guys?
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 11 of 14 (Originally posted on: 06-10-11 02:19:10 PM)

Did you press the report button.
"ztolk it seems like all you do is watch videos of muscular people vomiting"
-ice
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 12 of 14 (Originally posted on: 06-10-11 02:19:10 PM)

Did you press the report button.
"ztolk it seems like all you do is watch videos of muscular people vomiting"
-ice
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 13 of 14 (Originally posted on: 06-10-11 06:01:03 PM)

happy?
"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame the gays than let orphans have families."
Run Silent Run Drapes
Administrator
Eiffle Towers: 6969

someone bitter is after my ass

Ballkicks: (+561 / -30)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 14 of 14 (Originally posted on: 06-10-11 11:07:04 PM)

No
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 2507 | Total Posts: 14 ]